PDA

View Full Version : Zen convert: Fractal Exporer

cooperpwc
04-13-2006, 10:53 AM
I finally made the switch to the Zen theme, having bought a program for my 8700r called Fractal Exporer. This program, through various zoom and colour preference options, allows you to generate an almost infinite number of Mandelbrot fractal images. You unfortunately cannot save them directly on your 8700 (although you can save the coordinates of Favourites and regenerate them later). I capture them with BBScreen and then email them back to my Blackberry to use as Zen wallpaper.

I recommend Fractal Explorer as wonderful eye candy for the 8700. Here are some examples of homescreens using images that I created.

DuckWingDuck
04-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Seems a little TOO colourful. But you have a link to Fractal Explorer download?

cooperpwc
04-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Seems a little TOO colourful. But you have a link to Fractal Explorer download?

Point taken on the colourful issue. I use the more subtle images such as the left-most Fractal HS1 that I posted. But I wanted to show some of its capabilities. It can actually get a lot wilder than these. (Note also that the original fractals displayed in the program are more detailed and vivid than the double-captured double-compressed images that I posted here. It takes full advantage of the 8700 screen.)

Here is the link at Handango:
http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&osId=824&jid=F9B619286BE829CE143B6BC2DA9E111F&N=4294925502&Ntt=fractal&productId=178859&R=178859

cooperpwc
04-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Added another more subtle example to my posting above.

Haven't received much feedback on this. I'm not looking for reinforcement (not yet that much of a loser), but it would be unfortunate if nobody realised what a cool program this is. Okay, in practical terms it may be as useful as mammaries on a bull. But it is 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) .

rcbjr
04-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Does fractal explorer allow you to play with the formula for the fractals or just Pan and Zoom and change the colors?

Check out some of the fractals I made with ultraFractral, My Fractals (http://photobucket.com/albums/f87/rcbjr/Fractals)

Rcbjr

DuckWingDuck
04-13-2006, 06:41 PM
cooperpwc - no doubt it's pretty awesome. Try it after you take a toke. Not that I'm advocating drug use!!!

cooperpwc
04-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Don't touch that stuff! :smile:
You can't play with the formulas. There are 72 options for colour generation (i.e. 6*2*6). Beyond that it's just pan and zoom. The use of the trackwheel and hot keys is pretty good.
(Those UltraFractal images are cool!)

rcbjr
04-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the information. I'm sure that fractal explorer is fun too. Plus the advantages of playimg with them on your BB. How far in can you zoom?

Thanks for your Help.
Rcbjr

cooperpwc
04-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the information. I'm sure that fractal explorer is fun too. Plus the advantages of playimg with them on your BB. How far in can you zoom?

Thanks for your Help.
Rcbjr
Good question. I just tested it and it seems to max out once you once you have zoomed in 80 times or so. It is pretty slow at that point.

chichiliano
04-14-2006, 11:21 AM
thats pretty cool

rcbjr
04-14-2006, 11:33 AM
Good question. I just tested it and it seems to max out once you once you have zoomed in 80 times or so. It is pretty slow at that point.
------

Thanks, I may check it out later. Ultrafractal is cool but not inexpensive.

Rcbjr

Vorino
08-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Unfortunately, saving the images directly into the BlackBerry's Pictures app is not possible to code in 3rd party software, and I've confirmed this with an engineer at RIM. Also, outgoing (not forwarded) email attachments get stripped out by BIS.

The current version now has Julia Set fractals:
Vorino Software Inc. - Fractal Explorer (http://vorino.com/fractalexplorer)

Vorino
08-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Also, there is a free trial version available now, but it is feature reduced and is time limited. You can restart it as often as you want, but it resets the position each time.

cooperpwc
09-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Folks, I like this Fractal Explorer program a lot but do not, I repeat do not, use the new FractalX transfer utility. Use BBScreen. The transfer utility is way too invasive and when I tried to use it, it actually wiped all the data from my Blackberry. (I'm having a hard time believing it!) I am fortunate that I had done an Outlook synch just before and a full backup some time ago but I have lost some information permanently. This utility takes control of your Blackberry and frankly it's presents an unacceptable risk.

xav8700c
09-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Here is a few i made for my BB thought i share!