PDA

View Full Version : Small business use of BB

NatalieM
04-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi all, Please bear with me as I and my colleagues are new to BB. We each received a BB 8700r about a month ago when the govt had some extra money to spend! However, we are a pretty low-tech and low-cost operation, so the learning curve is pretty steep, esp since most of us are not tech-savvy.

We are a practice of 5 health care professionals. We have been currently using just pen-and-paper or MSWord for appointment and off-call scheduling, client lists, etc. Here is what we would like to be able to do with our blackberries:

- share appointment schedules
- share call schedules
- share client lists (with addresses, etc)
- share minutes and agendas for meetings etc.

We are with Rogers' Wireless in Ontario. The guy who sold them to us has not been helpful at all, just basically sold them to us, sold us the data package, and said call me if you have any questions! Didn't even tell us about the 1st 3 months unlimited access, I had to find that out from the website! Questions I have called him with have been answered vaguely or not at all. Other Rogers staff I've spoken to didn't seem to know much about Blackberries. So I appeal to you for your knowledge!

I am aware that what we would ideally need is a hosted BES server, I have learned that much from being on here. What I would like to know is , what is the most economical way of doing what we want to do? We won't be doing any extensive file-sharing, just mostly scheduling and lists. We don't have an Exchange.

What I'm thinking is, we need to take the smallest data package from Rogers - if we're not already locked into what we have, that is, but I think I
would fight that since we were not informed at all about our options! Then, shop around for an economical hosted BES.

Is this correct? Does anyone have any other tips? Please bear in mind that we are in Canada. Is there a way to share the info I mentioned without going through a BES? It doesn't need to be real-time synching, if the info were sent to our BB's once a day that would be sufficient. I'm really disappointed with the sales service - I mean, with the way we're using them now, we basically just have very expensive cell-phones/pda's. We'd like to use this powerful little tool as it was meant to be used, we just don't have the money to be spending tons on it.

thanks for any help,

Natalie

EricaJ1074
04-16-2006, 03:51 PM
OUCH! You got screwed by this person. Anyway, welcome to BlackBerry world. You've come to the right place for help. As a 4 1/2 year user of BlackBerry, I can answer a few of your questions for you.

For a good introduction to BlackBerry, visit this site http://www.discoverblackberry.com/. There is a tutorial for you to view to get started using your BlackBerry.

I am not on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server but yes you will need to be on a hosted BlackBerry Enterprise Server to share info because only Microsoft Outlook on an enterprise server provides this ability. I would look into that 3 months unlimited access for free. I am sure there are plenty of Canadian Bell BB users here to inform you more about this and their BB data plans. To share call lists and/or make calls using your BlackBerry, u will need a voice package with the most amount of minutes u can afford.

Also, there are plenty of reasonably priced BlackBerry apps for medical professionals. Try looking on http://www.handango.com. It will ask you to select the type of BlackBerry u have (and yes 8700's have been added to their list of supported BlackBerries). Then it will take you to every application available for BlackBerry. Then go to Applications and find what you all need for a reasonable price.

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me using BlackBerry Messenger which you can download at http://www.blackberry.com/messenger/entry.do. My PIN number is 23cf4be6. There is also a user guide to show you how to use this. Good luck and prepare to become addicted to them outside your professional life.

ChristianinCA
04-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Natalie,

Congratulations on your purchase of possibly the most addicting and useful piece of technology you will ever own. :o)

First, I'd like to say that I agree with Erica when I say that you could probably benefit from having BES. It will allow you to do all that and more. It allows you to fully maximize your use of the BlackBerry. As you become more knowledgeable about its functionality and usefulness I can guarantee that you will start to rely on it more and more. I have found hosted BES service through Exchange My Mail to be a LIFESAVER! On multiple times they (Dave, Steve, Enzo) have come to my rescue and set me on my feet again. If anyone can help you on your way it’s these three guys. I encourage you to find out more about their services and also the opinions of members here on BBF. You can view member's opinions about Exchange My Mail by clicking here: BBF THREAD FOR EMM (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=14034&highlight=Exchange+Mail).

In addition, I would like to tell you about two extremely valuable pieces of software for the medical professional on a BlackBerry. I use both of these everyday. The first is called Steadmans Concise Medical Dictionary. You can research more information on product by Beiks LLC for the BlackBerry by clicking here: Beiks LLC (http://www.beiks.com/rim/). You can access their website using your BB browser by clicking here: Beiks Mobile (http://mobile.beiks.com/blackberry/). I also use Medicinenet’s Pocket Guide to Medications. These two products could be incredibly useful for you or people within your office. Good luck with your practice and your patients. How lucky your patients are to have each of you with a BB on your hip. Oh, and feel free to send me a PIN message using the PIN in my signature.

All the best,

-Christian :o)

NatalieM
04-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks so much for the info! I think I may have come up with something, though. I just realized that we each have a hospital account that we can access from any computer, and which includes Outlook 2003. That would mean the hospital has an Exchange server, right? If they were willing to let us set up an account for the office, then all we would need is a hosted BES for each of us, right? Or do all the hosted BES companies require you to also subscribe to their Exchange as well?

thanks,

Natalie