PDA

View Full Version : 7100g/Cingular Questions (for someone who has one)

Eric5273
02-10-2005, 01:28 PM
I have a few questions for someone who has received their 7100g from Cingular or AT&T:

1) Does it come with the 4.0 software already installed or is it 3.8 like the 7100t??

2) Does it come with any kind of AOL Instant Messenger software already installed? If it does, have you tried it? How well does it work?

3) How well does the HTML browser work? Does it do Javascript?

4) I'm assumming since this phone does HTML out of the box that it includes the TCP/IP stack like the Nextel Blackberrys? Is this correct? So if I wanted to install a program which needs MDS service then I would not need to subscribe to a seperate MDS service??

Thanks for any info you can provide. :D

apbb2
02-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Eric,

I have had my 7100g for one day now, and I love it.

To answer your questions:

1. Comes with 4.0.0.198.

2. No IM software included. I have downloaded VeriChat and it works great. I have a license for a Treo, but have not purchased it for a BB. I have not tried any other IM software so I do not know how good those are.

3. The HTML browser seems to be the same as on the 7290 that someone else has here in the office. I don't know if it does JavaScript. If you point me to a test site, I will test it for you.

4. I can't really answer that because I have MyBlueberry service which has MDS. But I think you should be able to do anything over TCP/IP without it becuase 4.0 is installed.

Good luck.

Eric5273
02-10-2005, 03:20 PM
3. The HTML browser seems to be the same as on the 7290 that someone else has here in the office. I don't know if it does JavaScript. If you point me to a test site, I will test it for you.

Try going to www.toyota.com. On the Sidekick, you can load this page, but are unable to navagate anywhere because of the javascript. For example, in the top left of the page, moving the mouse over "vehicles" results in a drop-down list which allows you to choose which car you want to look at. Are you able to do this on the Blackberry?

Also, how is the speed on the Cingular Network? Does the browser "squash" the page for you so you do not have to scroll left and right?

4. I can't really answer that because I have MyBlueberry service which has MDS. But I think you should be able to do anything over TCP/IP without it becuase 4.0 is installed.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I'm trying to justify whether or not it will be worth it to get a Blackberry over another smartphone like the Treo 650. The main difference is the price of the monthly fee. For the Blackberry, I would have to pay $45/month for the data. With the other smartphones, I can keep my Media Works plan which is only $20/month. $25/month is a lot extra to pay, but if I also need to subscribe to a service like MyBlueberry, then we are talking $10 more on top of that.