PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Rules prevent emails from being sent to BB

trojan82
04-17-2006, 08:53 PM
I put a rule in outlook that bascially says "When message arrives from john@<hidden>, file it under the "John" folder within Inbox.

Now, my blackberry never recieves these messages from John, but when I go to my Outlook inbox on my computer, they're there under the "John" subfolder.

Why aren't the messages going to my blackberry, are they being filed away before they can get to the inbox? Is there a way i can show all recieved mail on my BB, regardless of where it's filed by rules?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

southwestcomm
04-17-2006, 09:01 PM
BB pulls from the Inbox. If, by rule, you have a message auto-filed to a folder it is no longer in the Inbox.

justin.culp
04-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Just close Outlook....problem solved!

loweryj
04-18-2006, 09:43 AM
trojan82

Rearrange your Rules...
you can adjust the order in which the rules are processed - I had this same problem.

I now have 2 BB rules - one to redirect to my BB and a 2nd one that moves new messages sent only by me, to the Sent folder (so I can reply directly from my BB - those will go to the Sent folder).

In your case move your John Rule to a slot after your BB rule - that should work.
Additionally, watch out for any rules that end with "Stop Processing Rules" - that will also throw a wrench in the plans...

Andi
04-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Just map the BB to get the msgs in the John folder....

Fkewl
04-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Easiest way is to add the folder

With the Blackberry Desktop Manager :
-> open desktop manager
-> Redirector Settings
-> "Advanced" tab
-> "Choose Folder" button
-> checkmark all folders you want redirected (aka John)

Schmackdown
04-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Right, but in my experience folder redirection does the opposite of what the desktop-based sorting is designed to do- keep the mail out of your Inbox and pre-sort it for the right folders. If you use redirection, the BB will sync it and you can see it in the proper folder, but it'll also be cluttering up your BB Inbox.

I'm a Notes/Domino/BES user that wants what I think should be pretty simple: a function that allows me to use folder redirection to get the pre-sorted mail in my Notes Inbox subfolders down to the BB, available when I browse to those subfolders on the BB. I do *not*, however, want those filtered messages in my BB Inbox. From my testing, it seems to be all or nothing- Inbox clutter or No Messages when browsing to the subfolders.

I'm sort of surprised this isn't a more common gripe. Either I'm missing something here or people don't use rules at their desktop Inboxes all that often. Users here leverage them pretty extensively, and would like to see the subfolders on the BB when necessary. In particular, being able to browse the SPAM folder on the road would be helpful. We don't get that many false positives, but if we ever did and a user was out of the office, they'd be SOL with the current folder redirection setup, unless they wanted to effectively lift the usefulness of the spam filter by clogging up the Inbox with all of the tagged emails.

stouf
05-05-2006, 03:34 AM
I m not sure that "just close your outlook" solve your problem , the rules work on the exchange server (the mailbox is an exchange server box).. so the mail cannot still be receive on the blackberry !

justin.culp
05-05-2006, 08:29 AM
I m not sure that "just close your outlook" solve your problem , the rules work on the exchange server (the mailbox is an exchange server box).. so the mail cannot still be receive on the blackberry !

Go into your rules and make sure they are just client side rules (they will only run when Outlook is open). To do this, go into the rules, edit rules, then on one of the screens there is a checkbox that says 'on this computer only'. Check that....that rule is now client side and will only work when outlook is open.