PDA

View Full Version : Trying to understand the network indicators...

tbone
02-10-2005, 04:19 PM
I've had my 7100 for about a week and a half and something strange happened today that I wanted to ask you guys about. I was inside a building and I lost coverage temporarily.

When I went back outside, the network indicator showed "gprs" instead of "GPRS" and the phone said "Data Connection Refused".

I cycled the power a couple of times and tried stopping and restarting the radio. Nothing worked. Finally I removed/replaced the battery and it came back.

Couple of questions:
What would cause this and is there a better way to recover?

What are the different indications (GPRS, gprs, etc.) and what do they mean?

The manual doesn't say anything about this, but I had a CSR from TMO tell me that GPRS was full strength and gprs wasn't. I'm sure there's a better explanation than this...

scotth
02-10-2005, 05:55 PM
GPRS means that you succesfully registered on a network and you can use the data portion. If it said "gprs" and "data connection refused" then the network you were on was probably not able to authenticate you at that time. Taking the battery out is the easiest, or you can go into OPTIONS -> HOST ROUTING TABLE and then click the scroll wheel and choose "Register Now". That re-sends the registration request to the network you are on.

tbone
02-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks.. Seems weird that it happened, but thanks.