PDA

View Full Version : Wireless wifi on 7100t [It was actually a neighbour hotspot]

LunkHead
02-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Can’t find any info so I figured I would post this... I have a Sony FS550 laptop and have been connecting (typing using it now) wirelessly through the 7100... My laptop notices the blackberry and connects to it without entering a username or password... Strange I think but it works like a champ..... I fluxuate between 11mbps and 1mbps....

thriller
02-11-2005, 05:10 PM
how did u manage to do this ? any info would be great

NJBlackBerry
02-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Especially since the 7100 has no wifi capability....

seven5
02-11-2005, 05:21 PM
huh?

LunkHead
02-11-2005, 05:30 PM
I have a 7100T and recently downloaded the 4.0 update. It started working all by its self... I noticed last week that my laptop said I had a wireless connection within range and asked if I wanted to connect to it.... So I really have no clue.. I have not done anything to the laptop or the phone.... I do not even have the blackberry software installed on the laptop..... Strange....

I wish I could be more help... But I have not done anything to get it working.....

NJBlackBerry
02-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Might you happen to have a Bluetooth enabled laptop?

LunkHead
02-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Here is the laptop I have...

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=VGNFS550&Dept=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers&CategoryName=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers_FS_Series

Bluetooth on the phone is turned off and I do not think the laptop has bluetooth... If I turn the phone off I am disconnected from the network.... The phone is not connected to the laptop, just sits a few inces away.... Strange, very strange... Any ideas... Or any infor you want/need to help understand the connection, just let me know and I will try to help.....

NJBlackBerry
02-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Nope; that laptop doesn't have BT. I am stumped.

rcg
02-11-2005, 06:36 PM
riiiiight.

Sounds like the laptop is picking up a wifi network near by and you have imagined the 7100 connecting to it.

Next time you are "using" the connection turn of your 7100 and see if the connection stays alive.

jibi
02-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Sounds like the laptop is picking up a wifi network near by and you have imagined the 7100 connecting to it.

i won't even say that i'm laughing. you know i am. hah.

Mark Rejhon
02-11-2005, 07:56 PM
It often happens.

Turn off your 7100. Notice how the laptop still works? You're connected to a neighbour's WiFi "free hotspot". Open "free hotspots" are everywhere, usually be users who don't enable WEP.

It's very easy to "piggyback" or "accidentally hack" into these access points because many laptops automatically connect to these open "free hotspots" without you being aware of what the heck you're connecting to ;)

LunkHead
02-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Yes i do think you are correct.... I tired turning the phone off and I stayed connected... Hummm... I thought the last time I turned the phone off I was booted off the wifi.... Oh well.... Sorry for the thread, I thought I was connecting via the phone....

jibi
02-13-2005, 01:36 AM
It often happens.

Turn off your 7100. Notice how the laptop still works? You're connected to a neighbour's WiFi "free hotspot". Open "free hotspots" are everywhere, usually be users who don't enable WEP.

It's very easy to "piggyback" or "accidentally hack" into these access points because many laptops automatically connect to these open "free hotspots" without you being aware of what the heck you're connecting to ;)

tell me about it. go to any collge campus (well, just off it in dorm land) and you're in free internet heaven. i have a friend who hasn't had to pay for internet service for 3.5 years now since wireless became so popular (and cheap - both routers and laptops). heh.

as for the 'accidentally hack' statement - 'professional' hackers also use these as jump points. all signs point elsewhere with very little logging enabled (not to mention that those same people who leave their routers open/non-WEP'd are also the ones who do not change their default password on the router, so any defaultly enabled logs could easily be erased)...

aard
02-14-2005, 07:35 PM

people in the us, please be aware that it is a crime (http://www.securityfocus.com/news/9281) to use an unsecured access point, even to just check your e-mail.

jdisauwg
02-14-2005, 08:06 PM
:P Thats too funny, It has become a classic around the office. Thanks for the story.

aard, is it only a crime if you do something criminal when you connect or is it always a crime, just for surfing the web?
That is an interesting article though, thanks for the info. http://www.securityfocus.com/news/9281

aard
02-14-2005, 08:50 PM
aard, is it only a crime if you do something criminal

ianal but he was charged with "unauthorized access to a protected computer" which makes it sound like even associating with the access point puts you at risk.