PDA

View Full Version : My company pushed password software, how to disable?

BlackOnBlackCobra96
04-21-2006, 10:47 AM
My firm, through a security initiative, wirelessly updated all of our Blackberrys to now require that we input passwords every 30 minutes. It's a pain in the asset and I'd like to disable it. There are no options to turn it off (there used to be) and I haven't found anything that would allow me to uninstall it. Any suggestions as to how to fix???

kitmoni
04-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Can't do it. The BES is controlling your policy, so even if you find a way to disable it, the BES will push it right back to you. As a BES user I agree - for the admins reading. There are other options for securing your data, and longer password reset time-outs exist on the standard configuration. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Fireproof
04-21-2006, 11:04 AM
I would contact your admin group and see if they can at least extend the time-out period or configure it differently.

Stinsonddog
04-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

The only way I know is to quit or give your blackberry to someone else. Not the options you wanted I am sure.

Kyos
04-21-2006, 12:11 PM
My firm, through a security initiative, wirelessly updated all of our Blackberrys to now require that we input passwords every 30 minutes. It's a pain in the asset and I'd like to disable it. There are no options to turn it off (there used to be) and I haven't found anything that would allow me to uninstall it. Any suggestions as to how to fix???

30 minutes for it to lock up, or every 30 minutes even if in use password must be input?

BlackOnBlackCobra96
04-21-2006, 12:19 PM
It seems like I was in the middle of a couple of things and the password kicked in, but I'm not sure. I found an option to change 30 minutes to one hour and another so it doesn't lock use of the phone, which is a little better. I suspect that some skilled hacker will develop a workaround.

ebgreen
04-21-2006, 12:34 PM
I doubt it. BBs are fairly secure. That is why they are so prevalent in high security and high sensitivity government and manufacturing environments.

Oh and just to add one more thing, intentional security policy defeating has always been grounds for instant dismissal everywhere that I have worked.

Zro
04-21-2006, 01:19 PM
There are two different settings that can be pushed out by IT policy. One requires a password after a certain amount of time of inactivity (ie. if you scroll the track wheel once every couple minutes will reset the timer), and one to prompt you for a password after a certain amount of time regardless of if the BlackBerry is in use or idle (but not locked, cause well, that would be really dumb :) )

If yours is after 30 minutes it asks for a password, even if you are currently typing on the BlackBerry, talk to your IT admin and see if they can change it to an enforced password and timeout (inactivity). This would at least stop the interruptions if you are in the middle of an email...Even if they set the timeout to be 2 minutes of idle time...

But if it's done for security reasons, there are a lot of places that will not deviate from their current plan.

Zro

juwaack68
04-21-2006, 01:23 PM
deleted

Chinasaur
04-21-2006, 02:42 PM
But if it's done for security reasons, there are a lot of places that will not deviate from their current plan.
Zro

At my company, even attempting to bypass security policies/software is an actionable offense..as in you get walked out the door. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Zro
04-21-2006, 04:43 PM
At my company, even attempting to bypass security policies/software is an actionable offense..as in you get walked out the door. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

I was referring more to actually talking to the IT dept on them changing something that was set for security reasons.

But I completely agree, if you willingly try to bypass security, it's a pink slip. I can't say "do not pass go" because we actually have a room called 'Go' here :)

Zro

NJBlackBerry
04-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Zro - how are you? Haven't seen you for a while.

radimus
04-21-2006, 09:37 PM

heh heh. How to fix it. Nice choice of words there.

Nothing you can do about it. I'd say your options would be to hand the thing back to them while telling them what you think of their "security" policy or carry/use the thing as little as possible. Whatever consquence either of these actions have on your job is your problem.