PDA

View Full Version : new phone will it get my old information?

highsocietypoker
04-23-2006, 02:23 PM
someone once told me that they can transfer your info from your blackberry if its lost or stolen...will my new phone have my old information on it ?? is htat possible or did i just make that up?

donthateme13
04-23-2006, 02:28 PM
if it was lost a system restore will do the trick depending on how long ago u last backed it up

TmoTech
04-23-2006, 02:36 PM
if you have all your info on OUTLOOK, you can just intellisync and it is done..

highsocietypoker
04-23-2006, 03:25 PM
backed it up????outlook..uh oh

im mostly concerened with my emails...because they are sent directly to my blackberry from my school account, adn i have no other way to read them...

TmoTech
04-23-2006, 03:28 PM
all you need to do to restore your emails to your bb is to update the pin and imei number thru your service provider, or thru your carriers online account..

DuckWingDuck
04-23-2006, 03:31 PM
I think we've gotten away from the original question.... The answer to the original question is, I think, for the most part, no. This isn't the SK2 where danger's got a copy of everything, BIS merely facilitates the transfer of data from location A to your device, it doesn't keep a copy of it.

cooperpwc
04-23-2006, 03:52 PM
I think we've gotten away from the original question.... The answer to the original question is, I think, for the most part, no. This isn't the SK2 where danger's got a copy of everything, BIS merely facilitates the transfer of data from location A to your device, it doesn't keep a copy of it.
(My first post from my Blackberry!…)

But a combination of two things should do what he wants. Backup on the old unit and restore to the new will preserve all his emails (and other data). Updating his PIN and IMEI in BIS will move the service over.
So regularly doing a backup is the key to being safe.

KonTiki
04-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Unless you are on a BES backup and restore or synchronization will not do the emails. Your best bet for the future is simple, set up a gmail account have all your mail sent there, and then forward that to your BB. As a rule of thumb it is not the best policy to be handing out your direct BB address otherwise it wont take long for you to have to deal with a ton of spam.

DuckWingDuck
04-23-2006, 04:53 PM
BES or IMAP :)

cooperpwc
04-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Okay, I'm surprised by this. I'm on BIS with forwarding from Yahoo. Seems to me that when I wiped my 8700 and installed Bharti, restoring data returned my Inbox to its original pre-wipe state...

MooseNYC
04-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Here is what's interesting, so far I've had 4 different BB's and each time I change a unit my BES put everything back except for the messages, which I don't care to back up due to having them on my outlook. The only thing missing were (old messages)pictures & applications, outside of that the BES puteverything back on even my bookmarks & old links that I had visited.