PDA

View Full Version : 7290 Problem - Won't turn on

wombatau
04-24-2006, 08:08 AM
Hi all,

I have a 7290 which just won't turn on. The red light on top flashes and that's it. It flashes 4 times fast and then stops for a second, then flashes four times and then stops again. This just repeats endlessly and doesn't seem to change when I put it on charge. When I plug the charger in, it stops the light from lighting up for a good three seconds before the intermittent 4x flashing continues. When I disconnect the charger, the light stays on for four seconds before the intermittent flashing continues.

I tried wiping the thing with javaloader, but it won't even recognise it - despite the fact that it's identified correctly as RIM handheld on the USB.

Any clues?

Thanks very much
-Adam

wombatau
04-25-2006, 12:28 AM
Anyone? Please?? Have I wasted my money buying this thing?

phetish phil
04-25-2006, 12:31 AM
I believe the light sequence is actually an error code. Someone once mentioned it to me but never elaborated past that point. I've been searching the BB knowledge base but haven't been able to find any kind of documentation supporting that.

It may be a hardware error but without being able to turn it on to see the PIN (which would be FFFFFFFF if it was a hardware failure) I can't verify that for you.

allenranger2
04-25-2006, 02:29 AM
Hi all,

I have a 7290 which just won't turn on. The red light on top flashes and that's it. It flashes 4 times fast and then stops for a second, then flashes four times and then stops again. This just repeats endlessly and doesn't seem to change when I put it on charge. When I plug the charger in, it stops the light from lighting up for a good three seconds before the intermittent 4x flashing continues. When I disconnect the charger, the light stays on for four seconds before the intermittent flashing continues.

I tried wiping the thing with javaloader, but it won't even recognise it - despite the fact that it's identified correctly as RIM handheld on the USB.

Any clues?

Thanks very much
-Adam

Try calling your phone carrier's support #. They should be able to help you out, and if not, perhaps they can transfer you to RIM.

gotanyinfo
04-25-2006, 02:46 AM
If its a phone error there is only 2 ways that I've heard of people resolving it. You could try resetting the handset by holding down the Alt/Cap/Del keys together or taking off the battery. Otherwise you could try getting the latest version of the handset software and running on the PC and then running the application loader on the Desktop Manager to see if updates the system software of the device.

wombatau
04-25-2006, 03:25 AM
I live in Australia and I purchased the 7290 outright, so my carrier doesn't want to know about my problems. The only numbers I can contact RIM on is in Canada and the USA. I've tried interfacing with javaloader, but even though the USB recognises it as RIM handheld, javaloader just tries to connect for a few seconds before giving me an error that it is unable to open port. Strange.

jefwic
04-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Have you tried calling your carrier?

Have you tried taking out the battery and waiting 10 seconds (does a complete reboot, different than turning it on and off)?

wombatau
04-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Yes, I tried calling my carrier. They couldn't help me as their only support is to replace BlackBerries purchased from them. I purchased it outright privately. I've tried taking out the battery and waiting, but it does nothing. It won't even light the red led up after that until you put it back onto charge.