PDA

View Full Version : SMS - GPRS or GSM and why?

Tim Koltek
04-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Under options its possible to change how SMS are sent. Options included GSM, GPRS, and GPRS Prefered. All seem to work, what are the advantaged or disadvantages of these options?

Tim Koltek
04-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

No one knows?

Pizzle
04-24-2006, 06:59 PM
GSM is going to be the most basic form of service you can get. Even if data isn't available, there's a good chance you'll at least be able to get GSM. If you set it for GPRS only, then you're out of luck if you're out of data range.

There's not much of an advantage to sending one way or the other, other than the above. I suppose GPRS would be faster, but how slow is a text to go through, really? Mine sends through GSM and seems to be plenty fast enough for me.

Just my $0.02.

jibi
04-24-2006, 08:25 PM
SMS over GPRS should not be available. If it is, use it, unless you have unlimited text/SMS messaging. I just checked my own and it failed. As mentioned before, SMS over GPRS will only work if you have a data connection (which would be rare these days NOT to have a data connection in most places). The GPRS Preferred means that it will try the GPRS data network first, and if it fails, then it will send it over GSM.

T-Mobile, about 1.5 years ago, disabled SMS over GPRS due to billing - not technical - issues. They were unable to bill users for text messages and instant messages sent over the GPRS network, thus potentially opening up a huge hole into their text message money pockets. There was absolutely not technical reason, to my knowledge (and through reliable sources), for their turning this service/feature down for those users.

cybermikey3
04-24-2006, 08:31 PM
so your saying if i do that with my phone i can remove my text package? with cell1 i get unlim incoming anyway, what ya think jibi

digital/blasphemy
04-24-2006, 09:12 PM
so your saying if i do that with my phone i can remove my text package? with cell1 i get unlim incoming anyway, what ya think jibi

If it works, why not?

toddz
04-24-2006, 10:44 PM
There really isn't any reason that I can think of for the end user to use one method over the other as long as both services are available. They will both have very similar delivery times. SMS over GSM was first, and I beleive that SMS over GPRS was added later to move message traffic off of the voice network. Too bad that providers couldn't figure out a way to make it work, or I guess maybe they just didn't care too much.

toddz

Jase88
04-24-2006, 10:50 PM
SMS over GSM allows you to send and receive messages during a voice call; something that cannot be done with GPRS data.

Tim Koltek
04-25-2006, 08:51 PM

SMS over GSM allows you to send and receive messages during a voice call; something that cannot be done with GPRS data.

That's awesome! In terms of billing were previous posts correct in that GSM might not be billed?

toddz
04-25-2006, 08:58 PM
That's awesome! In terms of billing were previous posts correct in that GSM might not be billed?

I think that you mean that SMS may not be accounted (or capable of being accounted and charged) when sent over GPRS.

toddz

toddz
04-25-2006, 08:59 PM
double post - crap wireless connection - please delete