PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Attachment viewing

Pizzle
04-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Well...just spent the last 45 mins or so searching for the answer to this, and I can't find the same issue with my setup...

Cingular Orange 8700c
BES
Zen OS (.284)

Seems like attachment viewing is very spotty. Sometimes it works...other times it doesn't. I'm not trying to open anything out of the ordinary...just doc, xls, and pictures sent as attachements in e-mail.

Anyone have any insight?

Pizzle
04-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Bump...

Anyone? Bueller?

:(

jacobsaa
04-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Are you making sure you are hitting expand when viewing attachments and then getting all of the file?

Pizzle
04-26-2006, 05:02 PM
On the contrary...it doesn't even give me the option. There's seemingly nothing about the file that shouldn't cause this, but there seems to be no "open attachment" option.

It just lists it as "application: XXX.jpg" or whatever. When I scroll to it, there's no option to open it.

If I could get to the expand and download part of the viewing, I'd be good, but it won't let me get that far...

kirson
04-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Was the jpg image extremely large? I'm not sure, but I believe I've had a similar issue trying to view extremely large jpg files...

Pizzle
04-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Guess that wasn't a good example...I got a 48k .pdf file that wouldn't open just the other day...

Just tried to send pictures (.jpg files ranging from 32-38k), and same issue.

Sheesh...this is frustrating...

rcbjr
04-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Is there any HTML code in the email to which the documents are attached? I've read of others that have problems with this.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

Pizzle
04-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Interesting update...

I tried sending my e-mail FROM my Gmail TO my BES account (clearchannel.com), and I couldn't get it to work. I forwarded the exact same e-mail FROM my BES TO my Gmail, and it worked perfectly.

Forward was HTML to HTML, so that wasn't the issue.

Could this be a BES issue? Should I call/email the corporate helpdesk? Is there a service book I should reload?

Pizzle
04-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Well...talked to my corporate helpdesk...they have no idea what's going on. Granted, I'm not THAT surprised, but they haven't gotten other calls with the same issue.

I'm afraid to dig too deep, because if it's a Bharti OS/Zen Theme/Update issue, I don't know that I want my corporate folks getting all wigged out about it.

I've looked to see if there's a way to re-install all my service books, and I can't find it...should that be the next step?

Surely we've got some techie folks on here that might be able to lend a little insight...

rcbjr
04-27-2006, 04:45 PM
I received an email today with three attachments and couldn't open any of them, no option to open on any of them. Went to the Webclient to check. The first, shown as an html document opened, but was unreadable. The second wouldn't open, couldn't identify the type. The third was a word document and opened fine. I assume the first or second was the cause of my problem.

Rcbjr

swatkins1
05-01-2006, 08:34 AM
I found out if someone sends the picture in the email instead of it as an attachment, it will not allow you to open it

DJJeffT
05-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Interesting update...

I tried sending my e-mail FROM my Gmail TO my BES account (clearchannel.com), and I couldn't get it to work. I forwarded the exact same e-mail FROM my BES TO my Gmail, and it worked perfectly.

Forward was HTML to HTML, so that wasn't the issue.

Could this be a BES issue? Should I call/email the corporate helpdesk? Is there a service book I should reload?

Having the same EXACT problem here too.

Oddly enough I ALSO work for Clear Channel, so there might be the root fo the problem. Not good, becase the help desk just wants to reinstall the OS, which woue mean that I would lose the Zen theme which I am not that excited about doing.

Anyone have any ideas what the deal is here????

Thanks.

Pizzle
05-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Hey Jeff...just sent you an e-mail.

srehmani
05-04-2006, 02:14 PM
is everyone thats having this problem running bharti/zen?

i keep running into the same problem myself using .284 / t-mobile internet email

Pizzle
05-05-2006, 01:54 AM
Jeff and I have the same issue, and run the same OS. We've been working with our corporate helpdesk, and it seems there's something on the BES end.

No one else has really spoken up, so it seems that it's only a real issue with the two of us.

If we find out more, I'll be sure and post it.

srehmani
05-05-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm not using a BES but I am using Bharti

DuckWingDuck
05-05-2006, 06:11 PM
I've not had problems viewing, I've used Bharti, CSL, TMO, and now Starhub.

Also, I use both BES & BIS.

Pizzle
05-10-2006, 12:15 AM
*update*

Went out on a limb and spent over an hour on the phone with, not my corporate helpdesk, but with Cing tech support and eventually RIM tech support.

Both were VERY courteous and informed, even though we still haven't figured out the issue.

The RIM techie was actually a little startled when we started going into service books, etc. and I started reading 4.1.0.309 to him as the answer to his questions.

"Wait...what?"

"4.1.0.309"

"Really?"

"Yup."

"Where'd you get it from?"

"Your website. Want me to send you a link?"

*giggle*

Basically, there wasn't much that we accomplished, but I think I made pretty cool contacts in the tech departments both at Cing and RIM.

I'm still convinced that it's an issue with my corporate BES. With others not having issues with Telstra or Bharti (BES and attachment viewing), I'm weirded out that Jeff and I still are.

Consider this a rediculously long bump in case someone has some new insight.

:)

stripesace
05-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Having issues too. David at EMM is working hard on fixing it!

BBFAN2
05-10-2006, 08:30 AM
I had the same problem. Our IT folks switched to a new BES and the attachments come through fine now.

Pizzle
05-10-2006, 08:52 AM
I had the same problem. Our IT folks switched to a new BES and the attachments come through fine now.

Can you be more specific? Did that actually switch out the entire BES? Or just reload something?

BBFAN2
05-10-2006, 11:10 AM
They switched to an entirely new server is my understanding. I had to wipe the BB and restart as though I was joining the BES the first time.

timshwak
05-10-2006, 05:55 PM
I am having the same problem and I am Cingular BIS (8700C). I just noticed it today and of course I updated to the Telstra OS last night.

nickp
05-15-2006, 02:04 PM
This may not be related but prior to having my T-Mobile 8700g, I had a PPC device and had the My Email feature active from within T-Mobile where it calls my server and sends messages to my PPC. I then added the 8700g and BB plan, activated my e-mail account on the BB side (BIS) and I would get all messages but no attachments.

I then deleted the original T-Mo email account I was using with my PPC, and all of a sudden, the attachments came through on my BB and I could open them.

Could be coincidental, but this seemed to work after days (since new) of not being able to open attachments.

DonnaMc
05-17-2006, 06:16 PM
I just bought an 8700g from T-Mobile, and I am the only one in my company that uses a Blackberry, so we do not have a Blackberry Server. I use the redirector to access my email, etc. One of the main reasons I bought this one was to be able to open Excel and Word documents and pdfs. I don't even want to edit the docs--just view them. T-Mobile said "sure, no problem". When I try to view the attachment, I too, do not have that option in my menu. When I spoke to Blackberry tech support, they said that you only have this option pop up in the menu if you have a Server. Since my company is not going to spend $3,000 for a server for just me--do I have any alternatives to being able to open attachements for viewing?

KonTiki
05-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Try this, unistall the desktop manager, reboot the pc, reinstall the desktop manager but this time select the version without redirector. In outlook create a rule to forward your email to the bb address. Now send yourself an attachment with a word doc and test.

gfarrell3
05-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi all,
New here. I'm IT. We have BES 3.6 and I just got an 8700c. My first blackberry. Held off awhile.
Anyway I received an attachment and it doesn't offer an option to open or view it. After I first received the email I had an option to save the attachment, which I did, but cant find anywhere. Ironically I put in for approval for an upgrade to our system to the 4.1 version mainly for the lack of remote activation feature.
Cingular
BES 3.6
7290's, 7100, 8700 models onboard.
Doesn't appear to be a problem with folks using 7290's or the few 71's.

ProjektONE
05-18-2006, 07:53 AM
I to have been experiencing issues, not being able to view attachments. My company does not use BES. I currently use the Redirector. I found that if I have an email with an attachment and am unable to view it. Ill forward it to my XXXX@<hidden> address. Then im able to view the attachment. it's a bit tedious, but its the only way I have found for it to work.

johnfromphilly
05-18-2006, 08:06 AM
I just bought an 8700g from T-Mobile, and I am the only one in my company that uses a Blackberry, so we do not have a Blackberry Server. I use the redirector to access my email, etc. One of the main reasons I bought this one was to be able to open Excel and Word documents and pdfs. I don't even want to edit the docs--just view them. T-Mobile said "sure, no problem". When I try to view the attachment, I too, do not have that option in my menu. When I spoke to Blackberry tech support, they said that you only have this option pop up in the menu if you have a Server. Since my company is not going to spend $3,000 for a server for just me--do I have any alternatives to being able to open attachements for viewing?

I am on Cingular--8700C--I use repligo, click here to check it out:
http://www.cerience.com/products/pro/blackberry/index.htm

I am self employed so no server, I am on BIS. I tried it for the trial period, along with DocHawk, and found it worth the $100 annual subscription. I get all my faxes via e-mail now (on PDF) and I can view and save any attachment that is e-mailed to me. I did this over the last month and have been very happy so far.

This product may be what you are looking for, Good Luck.