PDA

View Full Version : Ring v Vibrate Ideas

craigme
04-25-2006, 11:28 PM
So I'm amazed that RIM doesn't support RING and Vibrate at the same time - I have my profiles setup so that it vibrates for a text message and vibrates then rings for a phone call - problem is, until the ring AFTER the first two vibrates I don't know whether it's a phone call or an email (and then it's sometimes too late for me to catch the call)..

2 questions:

1 - Anyone know why RIM has continued to not fix this ?
2 - Anyone have some creative Profile setups that they're using as a workaround?

For such an amazing device, it's almost unbeleivable that this use case isn't supported...

Thanks in advance...

stripesace
04-25-2006, 11:42 PM
I wonder if anyone with contacts to RIM see if we cant get a hotfix for that... Its an annoyance. I'll give you that. I wish beep (vibrate once) meant that it vibrated once and that was it. not twice. I neveer knew 1 = 2

Pizzle
04-25-2006, 11:56 PM
SOOOOO on the same page as both of you. I always like how my RAZR vibrated when it rang...SO disappointed to find my new 8700 to not do the same...how weird...

I'm afraid I don't have a helpful post for this...just wanted to express my similar pain.

DuckWingDuck
04-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Most phone support simultaneous tone+vibe.

foobarney
04-26-2006, 11:22 AM
My 8700 (with 4.1) does this fine... go into one of the themes and you can pick Ring, Vibrate, or Ring + Vibrate for either in holdster or out.

Works fine. You can even make your own custom ring-themes now ... i have one called "Cough."

My question ... can i adjust the rhythm of the vibrate so that I can feel the difference between, say, a new message and a new call?

AK

coreyg510
04-26-2006, 11:31 AM
No, you cannot change the vibe style. Another flaw in the BB. You can change the number of vibes though. Although, you will probably end up missing more calls or alerts

Oh yeah, and Ring+Vib, still means ring and then VIB. Sorry bud

nosidam
04-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I agree 100%. I would prefer to have one long vibrate (the length of two regular ones) and have it continue through the rings so that I can tell it's a call and not an e-mail. A lot times, I can't hear the ringer while walking down the street, and the long vibrate would come in very handy.

coreyg510
04-26-2006, 11:36 AM
RIM, while they do have a great product and a wonderful idea, could use some improvements. Although, items such as these may not be their main focus.

They have a solid email platform and their devices are getting better each time around (altough the build quality may lack with some). However, they have missed some important features, such as the previously mentioned. And what about a continuous Blinking LED for notifications? That would not comprimise the integrity of the device security, but would be a major improvement in my minde. There are numerous other things that can be updated or added in my opinion.

I think that it is just going to take some time. :wink:

Modeler
04-26-2006, 12:48 PM
2 - Anyone have some creative Profile setups that they're using as a workaround?

I've created a new profile where I have Vibrate for calls and low-volume Tone Notifier_Cricket for messages. I'm very happy with this arrangement.

Stinsonddog
11-27-2006, 11:34 PM
"Webmessenger Alerts" (http://www.webmessenger.com/products/mablackberry.htm)

This product for a mere $20 one time will give you RING and VIBRATE (boy that was fun to type). Other RING and VIBRATE toys cost much more.

JvzW
11-28-2006, 12:56 AM
On a similar note, I'd also like to see a vibrate option for repeat notifications. When the BB is on my hip, I can't see the LED flashing red. I'd love if it would vibrate every few minutes to remind me that I need to take a look at it.

Stinsonddog
11-28-2006, 01:14 AM
On a similar note, I'd also like to see a vibrate option for repeat notifications. When the BB is on my hip, I can't see the LED flashing red. I'd love if it would vibrate every few minutes to remind me that I need to take a look at it.

Pretty sure you can set them until you respond in that program.

johnfromphilly
11-28-2006, 07:48 AM
"Webmessenger Alerts" (http://www.webmessenger.com/products/mablackberry.htm)

This product for a mere $20 one time will give you RING and VIBRATE (boy that was fun to type). Other RING and VIBRATE toys cost much more.

Nice find Stinsonddog- plus you remembered the old thread to attach it to!

Thanks!

JvzW
11-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Pretty sure you can set them until you respond in that program.
YOU CAN! Wow, this program is beyond awesome. It's pretty sad that RIM couldn't include all of this functionality on their own, though.

Stinsonddog
11-28-2006, 09:51 AM
YOU CAN! Wow, this program is beyond awesome. It's pretty sad that RIM couldn't include all of this functionality on their own, though.

http://www.webmessenger.com/docs/MA-data_sheet.pdf

Take a look and see if you like it.

JvzW
11-28-2006, 01:41 PM
http://www.webmessenger.com/docs/MA-data_sheet.pdf

Take a look and see if you like it.
Way ahead of you, I'm already using the trial version. (y)