PDA

View Full Version : 8700 body is so cheap

joginder
04-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Well, looks what RIM did. they put all the best features and even HIGH speed EDGE in a cheap plastic housing and its paint is already scratched off by the holster.
I only have this for 3 months and paint is already gone off. well that tells me that in 6 months this BB will be the most ugliest look device RIM ever moulded.

I have a 7290 for 2 yrs and still it shines and I have dropped this some many time and still it shines like Anglina Jollie's cheeks.

Shame on RIM when they are trying to save money in plastic. it would have been perfectly fine if they stayed in the same housing and put the EDGE in it..

Any comments ??

Stinsonddog
04-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Yes many people have said the same thing here, but boy what do you think of that box that it came in. Shiny Shiny with a lid and all. I am impressed with that packaging.

finch
04-27-2006, 05:49 PM
I'll second your case. I myself had an 8700 (well three, bad speaker, dust and faulty "H" key) and due to mine and works carrier Robbers (shameless plug www.ihaterogers.ca) we've switched networks. The build quality between the 8700 and my 7250 are night and day. Like you my old 7290 and 7780 for that matter were ToughBerry's short of stepping on the screen they'd take whatever you threw at them. As cool as the 8700 is RIM needs to do a bit of work to bring it up to par IMHO.
Well, looks what RIM did. they put all the best features and even HIGH speed EDGE in a cheap plastic housing and its paint is already scratched off by the holster.
I only have this for 3 months and paint is already gone off. well that tells me that in 6 months this BB will be the most ugliest look device RIM ever moulded.

I have a 7290 for 2 yrs and still it shines and I have dropped this some many time and still it shines like Anglina Jollie's cheeks.

Shame on RIM when they are trying to save money in plastic. it would have been perfectly fine if they stayed in the same housing and put the EDGE in it..

Any comments ??

NawlinsBlackberry
04-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Are you talking about the 8700c, 8700g or both. Basically, are they housed in the same casing because I just returned my 7290 (within the 14 day time period) and ordered the 8700g.

LunkHead
04-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I am getting ready to fire the 7290 up and toss this heap back into the box. See my thread on T-Mo -- Sad to see my sad story of despare! :)

Shaolin
04-27-2006, 06:50 PM
hey everyone.. new member here.. I have to agree.. I had a 7290 and now I have the 8700.. definitely different in built quality.. but I still like my 8700.. although I'm extra careful with it whenever I'm holding it or its in the holster.. hopefully the next BB will give the best of both worlds.

K-Mack
04-27-2006, 07:30 PM

Any comments ??

Anjelina Jolie's cheeks are highly over-rated. :razz:

Radio Flyer
04-27-2006, 07:34 PM
8700 body is so cheap...

...why does this sound like the start of some bad Henny Youngman jokes?

joginder
04-27-2006, 08:11 PM
NawlinsBlackberry, both are in the same housing so there is no diff in what so ever...

I love it because it has EDGE and a reall screen and google map looks like I am actually flying 30,000 feet high above the city..

I was so close to selling my 7290 but looks like I would rather keep it for a while.

TmoTech
04-27-2006, 08:28 PM
waa

LunkHead
04-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

There is your 'official' answer from a T-Mobile employee! I guess that's the kind of support we have all been getting from T-Mobile.

TmoTech
04-27-2006, 09:22 PM
that is the nature of the business, not being satified and thinking the grass is greener on the other side, at the moment we have at least a million bb users, and to have a few not go perfectly is to be expected of any endeavor where XXX in a million odds are involved, so unless you CREATE something better, all you are is a whiner....and like everyone else here gets to express an opinion, i expect the same in return, without labeling me as speaking for my entire crew of 45,000+ employees, its sensationalist and sad...

johnfromphilly
04-27-2006, 09:26 PM
waa

I hate to say it but those were my thoughts exactly.

I have a different frame of reference, admitedly, as I have never owned the previous BB's. The 8700c was my first. I have owned Palms and dedicated phones, mainly from Nokia. The old Palms I owned were sturdy but were asked to do very little, the Nokia phones were no "stronger" than the 8700.

I don't know, it seems like everybody finds something to ***** ( edit: "complain") about; no camara, loose battery door, dust, the 8700 is awesome and does so much, no device is perfect. I told someone again today ( I am asked about it often ) that I would buy this device over any other at any price.

My thoughts....:smile:

LunkHead
04-27-2006, 09:29 PM

Maybe you should act more professional if you are going to have a nick of TmoTech and announce in other threads that you are an employee. Calling customers whiners and making waa comments is not very professional and really does prove my point about the quality of customer support current and future customers can expect.

If you wish to announce yourself as an employee then at least carry yourself with a tad bit of professionalism!

TmoTech
04-27-2006, 09:33 PM
am i giving you customer support? no. i am at home on my own time doing my own thing. I really don't need to justify my existence or how i act on my own time to ANYONE!!

LunkHead
04-27-2006, 09:38 PM

If you identify yourself as an employee of a company then your actions reflect upon that company. On or off the clock!

Liv
04-27-2006, 09:40 PM
I already am showing signs of wear and tear on my BB, I have had it about a month. It dropped on the carpet from my bed and got a little ding on the side. It is just soft plastic. But I am just going to deal with it because I love what it does.

I just put it in a flip vaja case and am hoping for the best. I will end up upgrading sooner or later to something newer. I always do ;)

But I do agree that the make of it is crap. Maybe the next model they release will have the 8700's greatness and the body build of the old ones.

Liv
04-27-2006, 09:43 PM
am i giving you customer support? no. i am at home on my own time doing my own thing. I really don't need to justify my existence or how i act on my own time to ANYONE!!

Jimminie Christmas...No one is asking you to justify your existence. It is great that your part of the forums, you will be able to give us insight from the TMo standpoint like all of the other cingular & tmo' reps here. It is just sarcastic remarks are not usually responded well to, your "waaah" was a remark that won't get good responses. Your next post about TMo's policy and such is perfectly fine to have been posted - because it was informative and was a mature opinion. But then again, it just my opinon :)

TmoTech
04-27-2006, 09:48 PM
I apologize. on behalf of T-Mobile,Inc. accept my sincerest apologies.

Liv
04-27-2006, 09:51 PM
I apologize. on behalf of T-Mobile,Inc. accept my sincerest apologies.

No Worries! You are perfectly entitled to say as you wish, I just letting you know - from what I have seen - that sarcastic remarks always starts crud, never gets the point across. :) Welcome to the Forums by the way :D

TmoTech
04-27-2006, 09:54 PM
I have to thank all that contribute to this board, as i have learned ALOT, and has made me a better tech for my customers.Oh,and Liv, you rock.

mortgageguy
04-27-2006, 09:55 PM
I have had mine for 4 months now and no scrapes or scratches. I put it into my RAM car holder everyday 3 or 4 times a day and I carry it around in my Nutshell case. I have a little dust under my screen- who cares! The phone is the best in its class. Bar none. Just because you have scrathces on your phone and it does not "feel" very well made does not mean that it is cheap. I would rather pay $199.00 for the phone and have a few scrathces on it rather than $299.00 or $399.00 and have it weigh 7 oz and be made like a Sherman tank.

Liv
04-27-2006, 09:58 PM
I have had mine for 4 months now and no scrapes or scratches. I put it into my RAM car holder everyday 3 or 4 times a day and I carry it around in my Nutshell case. I have a little dust under my screen- who cares! The phone is the best in its class. Bar none. Just because you have scrathces on your phone and it does not "feel" very well made does not mean that it is cheap. I would rather pay $199.00 for the phone and have a few scrathces on it rather than $299.00 or $399.00 and have it weigh 7 oz and be made like a Sherman tank.

Yeah, I like how it is light in my hands, I understand about the quality of the feel, I wish it felt a bit more "Rawwr!" but it is okay, I like it a lot. :) Doesn't cramp my hands.

DuckWingDuck
04-27-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm with mortgageguy, honestly, it's a device that let's me communicate efficiently, as long as I can still get EDGE and respond to my emails, I won't care too much if it's duct taped together.

I'll care a little bit but not that much ;P

joginder
04-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Gang, plz don't take me wrong. I love the device and I have only owned Nokia and BB in my mobile life and I have never complained about the quality until 8700 was born.
Again, great fone and great feature. more than what I was expecting.. just the landscape is not what we would like to see on the BB as compared to the past models.
Also I do not work in construction industry.. I am just a IT dude and never mishandle my BB. I sleep with it and every time it sneezes or trembles I check it is feeling cold or it is just the natural behaviour.

joginder
04-27-2006, 11:22 PM
I wish they would add 64MB memory on 7290 architecture. and that will be the true rugged BB..
You guys remember, people flushed the old BB in toilet, washed in washer, dropped from golden gate, tossed on other side of border by minuteman project people and it was still working.

allenranger2
04-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Sorry for seemiming naive here....but what does dust under the screen look like? Is it just specks you can't get off?

I do enjoy all of the features of the 8700g. It's no 7290 in terms of sturdiness, but it definitely has the functionality that we're all looking for (as mentioned right above). We don't need a camera in these things. Speakerphone is a perfect addition.

RIM needs to concentrate on the features that make them what they are. Email. Their PUSH services are really unmatched...they're so good that everyone else wants it too (i.e. Blackberry Connect). The 8700's are made out of lighter plastic, but they certainly make up for it with their services. Hopefully T-Mo and RIM can get their service working properly and then all will be fine and dandy.

Also, I'm not sure about the 'berry being scratched by the holster, but that Seidio case looks pretty good. I'm not a spokesman for them, but you get 15% off if you order by April 28th, 5pm (not sure what timezone). Cheers!

takeshi
04-28-2006, 09:04 AM
I think that the 8700's body plastic should be tougher and that the plastic over the screen should be much more scratch resistant. However, I'm not switching back to a 7290 (though I do carry a 7290 as well for work).

Liv
04-28-2006, 11:46 AM
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=20370

In this thread there are pictures of the BB with dust under the screen. It was a common issue with the 8700s released in the beginning.

wingdo
04-28-2006, 12:02 PM

I would think T-Mobile may consider your posting with the name "TmoTech" as being an official T-Mobile response.

bobhammer
04-28-2006, 12:13 PM
I had have my 8700 for almost 4 months, not a single scratches... I dun use any cases.....i do agree the plastic is kinda cheap...anyway...it is a GREAT phone!!

alphasports
04-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Have had mine 6 mos with no scratches. Only use case occasionally, otherwise pocket or whatever. Just ordered a full-body invisibleShield the other day though, which according to Murphy's Law probably means I'll ding it up the day before the shield arrives!

richard371
04-28-2006, 03:01 PM
You could not give me a 7290. The 8700 is way faster. If you use the web browser forget the 7290. I have owned both. I agree they could have used a batter plastic but oh well. I am sure they will be made in China soon and will be even worse.

conwawj
04-28-2006, 03:35 PM
I have several scratches and dings on mine. It falls out of the clip all the time, usually because it gets caught on the seatbelt or something. I'm only testing this device. The plan is to have it re-activated and deployed to another user. I'm sure he/she isn't going to be too happy about that.

Liv
04-28-2006, 04:17 PM
I would think T-Mobile may consider your posting with the name "TmoTech" as being an official T-Mobile response.

Wingdo, the issue was already addressed and there was an understanding reached :) So it has been resolved. No use in bringing it back up. :)

lcater
04-28-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm with mortgageguy, honestly, it's a device that let's me communicate efficiently, as long as I can still get EDGE and respond to my emails, I won't care too much if it's duct taped together.

I'll care a little bit but not that much ;P

Maybe a Red/Green edition coming?
I've had my 8700c for about 3 months with no issues. Yesterday I dropped it, not once, but twice from waist height onto hard concrete. I figured after the second fall the jig would be up, but I can not see where the impact was anywhere. I doubt Roger's units are any different than the others, but mine is holding up bery well. I use a leather holder for it though.

chrisnol
04-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Liv -- Is that your real photo?

wingdo
04-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Wingdo, the issue was already addressed and there was an understanding reached :) So it has been resolved. No use in bringing it back up. :)
Yup, it was indeed addressed. Using Opera it appeared the thread only had 8 responses or so, under IE I see there are tons more. Not sure what the deal was, but sorry for beating a dead horse.

joginder
04-28-2006, 04:54 PM
I guess once T-mo adds my 8700g on their network then I will shield it with InviShield and then I guess I will be ok. I see that there will be much more visible scratches and ding on silver than on black.

allenranger2
04-28-2006, 06:41 PM
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=20370

In this thread there are pictures of the BB with dust under the screen. It was a common issue with the 8700s released in the beginning.

Thanks. I did go through a few pages of the thread...but not enough apparently to find the pictures. I guess maybe one day I'll find out :-). Thanks for your time.

tprime
04-29-2006, 07:07 PM
My first BB was a 7100t. The plactic case seemed cheap at first. I had some scratches but it worked fine. The 8700g doesn't seem as rugged as the older devices but really only time will tell how cheap it is. Cosmetically it looks way better to me. In fact the g looks like a sleek sports car as compared to the c.

cwemely
04-29-2006, 07:44 PM
I had a 7290 and just upgraded two weeks ago to an 8700g. While the plastic of the 7290 seemed impervious to minor blemishes and the unit itself seemed very robust, I don't think the 8700g is horrible. I will admit, however, that it is a bit more delicate and I handle it a bit more carefully. This is more because of the screen rather than the whole body. I am seriously contemplating the Invisible shield for better protection.

radimus
04-29-2006, 08:06 PM
What's all this fussin' about scratches? Whatever happened to seeing scratches and dings as badges of honor and an indication of a well used and appreciated device? Display those scratches and dings with pride for they speak of the important work your Blackberry lets you get done, or at least let you fake it in a convincing manner.

Oh, and here's a tip. If you don't want scratches on your Blackberry don't use the cheap plastic holster. They have nice enlcosed, velore lined, leather holsters for this purpose. After all, if the plastic holster doesn't manage to scratch your BB the first door frame you accidently glance it off of will do that for you quite nicely.