PDA

View Full Version : Important Websites - 8700g

Cabrill
04-28-2006, 04:05 AM
I can't seem to get the 8700g to work on websites that open a new window as part of their navigation, or ones that track whether or not you're logged in by cookies. Is anyone here a student of Weber.edu that can get their website to work on the 8700g? I can login but as soon as I click any link it tells me my session has timed out. The banking website I'm having problems with is gwcu.org which I can load initially but as soon as I click Login all it does is refresh the page rather than give me a new window like it does on my PC. Can anyone help me with either? Accessing my bank site/school website on-the-go was the #1 reason I upgraded to the 8700g.

K-Mack
04-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Try using Opera mini, it worked on my 8700c.

klp45
04-28-2006, 07:49 AM
Try looking at the browser options. I bank with Wachovia - and it works like a charm, not to mention it is very fast.

Cabrill
04-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Try using Opera mini, it worked on my 8700c.
Does Opera Mini support Javascript? (I tried searching first, but couldn't find definitively one way or another if it did)

DuckWingDuck
04-28-2006, 04:07 PM
From google:

>>>>>>
Finally, the app Just Works(TM) as you'd expect. Yes, not every web page will look perfect - the CSS-linked header image on my blog doesn't show up for example - and not every Javascript on a page will work perfectly, but it's surprising how great the pages look and how usable many websites are on a small screen. I think Opera has really done an amazing job on this app. I expect huge things from this - it could even become its own platform. I bet you could easily base a new web-based business around this browser, it's that good. Though I have to mention that neither Yahoo! nor Google JavaScript-based advertising is shown on any of the pages I've seen so far. That should be fixed.

-- http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008770.html
<<<<<<

Camarones
04-28-2006, 05:48 PM
I just tried my credit union's site with my 8700g. After I turned on javascript and html frames, etc, it all started working.

Cabrill
04-29-2006, 03:45 AM
Wow. Just WOW. I tried out the experimental BB specific Opera Mini from mini.opera.com/bb and it was AMAZING. Pages loaded in a fraction of the time it took the BB Browser to load it. EVERY site I tried WORKED! Including my bank and my school. Now I really only have one question: How do I set Opera Mini as my default browser so links in emails are opened by it instead of the BB Browser?

nosidam
04-29-2006, 08:09 AM
Now I really only have one question: How do I set Opera Mini as my default browser so links in emails are opened by it instead of the BB Browser?
Options->Advanced Options->Browser

dapope
04-29-2006, 09:57 AM
I just d/l and installed it, but, how do i choose to use Opera, its not listed with ie, pocker ie ,blacberry,openwave [wap],OpenwaveGateway and Netscape.
Stan

dapope
04-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Ok, i found the Opera Link in Applications, but, im getting a connection error, apparently something has to be set up ? Any help would be appreciated, i use T-Mobile
Thanks
Stan

ssfmission
04-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Can I set up Opera as my MDS browser so that I can use it on my BES? I have some internal company websites that I would like to hit. When I goto Advanced Options --> Browser, I do not see Opera as an option there.

dapope
04-29-2006, 10:55 AM
neither do i :(

14pups
04-29-2006, 11:23 AM
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=135356

dapope
04-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Opera just doesnt connect, returns a connection error, called t-mobile, they said they dont support Opera-mini. Are there any setting that need to be changed?if so, where are they :) my bb,mi and other browsers connect fine
Thanks
Stan

B Chan
04-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Am also on tmo. BB browser works fine. Mini Opera on the otherhand is so SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW in downingloading pages it hurts (worse than downloading on 7100t via gprs). Given that this is contrary to popular experience elsewhere, I also have to ask if there is/are settings that need to be changed on the BB.

dapope
04-29-2006, 04:10 PM
I just did as thisa poster suggested, and, all is fine. I just wish it had some of the bb browser toptions built in, [space bar in an address field or email]

"You may need to add wap.voicestream.com in your APN. You can find that in advanced options. Then do a battery pull. It worked for me. I also have the 8700 with tmo. Good luck."

nlk10010
04-29-2006, 06:41 PM
I've tried Opera Mini and it seems OK, except that wap.blackberryforums.com doesn't load.

All in all, I think I'll keep both for awhile but Opera might be more trouble that it's worth.

=NLK=

MikeD
04-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Opera Mini is excruciatingly slow for me. I have an 8700 w T-Mo and I have wap.voicestream.com in the APN settings. I've given up on it and will just use the BB browser which is 10 times faster than Opera Mini on my BB. I might try Opera again in the future.

TmoTech
04-29-2006, 09:06 PM
yeah, it seems like things that are upgrading the c's have been worked out on the g's.. i have a bud who did opera and it was the same(on a g). the only benefit i see is if you have bank pages that don't work, it is a fix.

Cabrill
04-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Two things. First off, the person who said earlier that you have to set your TCP to wap.voicestream.com is correct (for T-Mobile users). If you don't do that Opera won't be able to connect.

Secondly, if you're running slow more than likely you didn't use the experimental BB-specific version that is available only at mini.opera.com/bb/ If you go to any other address than that to get Opera you'll be getting the Midlet version that runs like a half-frozen snail. There is no way I'm going back to the BB Browser after using this...it's perfect in almost every way...and it's just an alpha, still! There are some things it'd be nice to have(Caps Lock+ Space to scroll up a page, or the ability to download MP3/Wavs/select images) but for just surfing the web, looking at native HTML pages it's unbeatable.

KonTiki
04-29-2006, 10:42 PM
Secondly, if you're running slow more than likely you didn't use the experimental BB-specific version that is available only at mini.opera.com/bb/ If you go to any other address than that to get Opera you'll be getting the Midlet version that runs like a half-frozen snail.

I am sorry to disagree but this application is hit and miss at its best. I downloaded it from mini.opera.com/bb/, and I use a Verizon 7250 with no need to set anything special, ad it was crawling in my BB, I had to delete it because it was totaly useless. And i have read plenty of others here complain of the same slowness, and in all fairness have heard many praise it too, so as I stated before it s hit or miss at best.

14pups
04-30-2006, 07:10 AM
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as I got it to load on my 8700c running on the TMO net.

I must say without a doubt this is the best browsing experience I have ever had on any berry I've owned. It's super fast and best of all for me it REMEMBERS passwords of different sites.

Cabrill
04-30-2006, 02:21 PM
I am sorry to disagree but this application is hit and miss at its best. I downloaded it from mini.opera.com/bb/, and I use a Verizon 7250 with no need to set anything special, ad it was crawling in my BB, I had to delete it because it was totaly useless. And i have read plenty of others here complain of the same slowness, and in all fairness have heard many praise it too, so as I stated before it s hit or miss at best.
Errr...7250? I'm only speaking from experience and only from the 8700 model since that's the part of the forum we're in. I'm sure it's using a lot of the 300mhz processor to run as zippy as it does, so yeah, I would guess that it wouldn't work very well on the 7250. But as far as the 8700 goes, I don't think the BB browser holds a candle.

KonTiki
04-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Unfortunately when it was released in Beta testing here the gentleman did not exclude any BBs from using it so it is only fair to present all sides of the story, however since you are right and this is the 8700 forum and us peasants that have no forum of our own should not post here, I stand corrected.

hrs786
04-30-2006, 08:13 PM
Hi,

I have a 8700g on T-Mobile, and I went to the mini.opera.com/bb/ site from my blackberry browser. But the site said:

"Your phone model could not be detected.

High memory and low memory versions of Opera Mini are available. We recommend that you download the low memory version, unless you are certain that your phone will have enough memory to run the high memory version."

Did you all get this same message? Am I doing something wrong? If not, which version (i.e. high or low) did you download?

Thanks in advance.:smile:

henare
05-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Opera Mini is excruciatingly slow for me. I have an 8700 w T-Mo and I have wap.voicestream.com in the APN settings. I've given up on it and will just use the BB browser which is 10 times faster than Opera Mini on my BB. I might try Opera again in the future.
i'm in the same spot--8700g on t-mo and i find that i have to basically click twice on links to get them to load reasonably quickly.