PDA

View Full Version : WebViewer by Reqwireless

dylanw
02-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Does the webviewer make that much of a difference when webbrowsing? I ahve the 7250 and the web looks fine. What is the big difference? Is it worth purchasing? thanks

jbairdjr
02-14-2005, 01:10 PM
I have been a long-time user of the Reqwireless browser, and I do like it.
However, the Blackberry browser works better. I do keep Webviewer installed, because it does work better on a few sites (especially one that our office uses for data).
But, I wouldn't buy it now that the Blackberry Internet browsing is an option.

guinda35
02-14-2005, 05:29 PM
At a $30 one time fee, I find it's nice to have the extra browser to piddle with, even if you have access to the BB browser. I don't notice much difference between them.

Mark Rejhon
02-14-2005, 07:18 PM
WebViewer 4.0 is better than WebViewer 3.3 ... it's much faster than the BlackBerry browser found in BlackBerryOS 4.0. Have you tried Webviewer 4.0?

MadMedik
02-14-2005, 10:00 PM
@<hidden> R.

Mark, maybe you can shed some light for me. All in all I am very happy with Blackberry. However, I have been frustrated with the inability to access a number of my most frequented sites. In particular, it seems to be the secure areas of particular sites such as my bank, my stock brokerage, etc. I talk to the people at the bank &amp; brokerages and they advise that the device must be able to form a secure connection. I speak to Rogers and they say RIM can do it, but not on WAP. I should be able to do it on HTML. If I can't it is because the site is blocking them. In the end, it appears that the HTML browser cannot access HTTPS.

In comes Reqwireless Webviewer... In the description it states HTTPS! They offer a trial so I install the app and give it a go. No problem with regualar browsing, but failure as soon as I try to hit the above mentioned secure sites. I trust I am not violating any board rules by posting a link to my request for customer support at Reqwireless to avoid copying the entire post here: http://www.reqwireless.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=840&amp;highlight=

Basically, is the reqwireless browser a solution for this? If not, is there any other non-BES, non-MDS solution?

Thanks mate,

MM

Mark Rejhon
02-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Try testing BlackBerry HTML Browser 4.0 with BES 4.0, sometimes it works that way. For this, you need to make sure everything is turned on (including Javascript) in the browser preferences.

My CS-COOP (Full HTML version) online banking works on my BlackBerry. No guarantees, but I find that BES 4.0 does improve the browser somewhat.

I also use TD Canada Trust (WAP and MiniHTML version) but they work fine with the default BlackBerry browsers, as long as you use the alternate full MiniHTML URL (or use http://www.td.com/w after you turn off HTML, by using "WAP Only" instead of "WAP &amp; HTML")

MadMedik
02-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Hehe.. Ok. So it works for you on BES. Can you advise if there is any hope for us non-BES users?

MM

cbotd
02-15-2005, 08:18 AM
I enjoyed using Reqwirels Web Browser 4.0 for sites that do not require forms to be filled out. Reqwirelss takes you to a new screen to input any form data. It seems to be an extra step that I personaly find annoying.

Reqwirelss 4.0 is MUCH faster than the Browser built into BBOS4.0.

That being said, Reqwireless uses a one-time-only key code for each install. After upgrading my 6230 to OS4.0 and then purchasing a 7230 and installing OS4.0, Reqwireless has been unable to track my key requests and I am without a licesned version of the software. If you plan on purchasing, make sure you have your BB set up the way you want it for a while.

jbairdjr
02-15-2005, 08:41 AM
I agree with the complaint about forms directing you to another page. That is a pain.
Since I have upgraded my Blackberry's software many times (and changed handhelds), I have also had to register the webviewer software multiple times.
When you upgrade software versions, you will have to re-register the software by going to the Reqwireless site, clicking on the support page, and requesting a new registration number. I have kept the email from Reqwireless in a saved folder, so that when I do a new software update, I just copy and paste the registration number to the form on Reqwireless's page. Reqwireless is usually pretty quick with the new number.

guinda35
02-15-2005, 10:32 AM
I agree with the complaint about forms directing you to another page. That is a pain.
Since I have upgraded my Blackberry's software many times (and changed handhelds), I have also had to register the webviewer software multiple times.
When you upgrade software versions, you will have to re-register the software by going to the Reqwireless site, clicking on the support page, and requesting a new registration number. I have kept the email from Reqwireless in a saved folder, so that when I do a new software update, I just copy and paste the registration number to the form on Reqwireless's page. Reqwireless is usually pretty quick with the new number.
Thanks for the info. I'm on a 7290 waiting for Cingular to release 4.0. I didn't see that I would face this issue, so now I'll be lookibg for it.

Now if Cingular and RIM could only get it together on 4.0.

Bratag
02-15-2005, 11:43 AM
I have to say once I turned off JavaScript and CSS with the BB browser I now find it very nearly as fast as reqwireless for most pages.

guinda35
02-15-2005, 12:19 PM
I have to say once I turned off JavaScript and CSS with the BB browser I now find it very nearly as fast as reqwireless for most pages.
I turn off the images on my BB browser and get much better speed. The same with Webviewer, although Webviewer does a better job of showing you some of the images (so that you can navigate), for about the same speed. (I'm on Webviewer 4.0 and BB 3.8).

How do you know when you'll need to turn on your javascript and CSS, once you've disabled them?

Bratag
02-15-2005, 03:08 PM
CSS pages pretty much just make things look nice - I couldnt care less most of the time. Javascript if needed will pop up a message.