PDA

View Full Version : Dumb newbie ? Please help on phone choice

itsmebryan
04-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi I just found this site and it's great. Here what's my problem. On May 17 my wife and I are going to the UK, France, Amsterdam, and Germany. I have a Cingular plan with a Nokia N-gage:oops: . Don't laugh it's a great phone it plays movie, radio,mp3, Bluetooth comm. and data, PC sync, and can run emulater(SNEs, gameboy, etc...). I ordered a Holux 236 bluetooth GPS. I found gps software for this phone and maps for all the countries I am going to and even mapping software that even shows you which train or bus to take point by point to get to anywhere in theese country. Only problem I found out my phone is only daul band and not tri-band like I thought and will not work overseas:sad: . So I need a new phone. I'm new to PDA type phones so I would like some input. Right now Cingular has for ugrade the Blackberry(BB) 8700c $300 or refurb. $150 or the Cingular 8125 (it's a pocket pc, runs windows moble 5 and has wi-fi g built-in) for $300. Both are quad band and will work overseas both phone and internet. Which do you think is a better OS BB or WM 5? How good is the web browsing with the BB? I know windows so that why I'm asking about BB. I plan to use the phone to help my keep track of bills and my other property. Does the BB have the same software that I found for my N-gage if so where? Pro or cons. Thanks for any help. Sorry for such a long post just wanted to cover all the bases.:smile:

paulbblc
04-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Go with the BB. I dont have a 8700 so I really cant speak for it however the one thing I can say about the 8125 is that it has windows mobile and that right there alone is enough to stay away from it.

That is unless you like being tempted to throw the thing across the room.

However if you're looking for a toy much like the NGage then the BB is not for you, it's not a toy. It doesnt have a camera, media player none of those fancy things everyone seems to want on a phone.

Hope I kinda cleared things up a little for you. All I can say is I'll be picking up one of those refurb 8700's asap thanks to you that is, I was unaware of them. :smile:

itsmebryan
04-30-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm not looking for a toy. I found I rarly use any of the extra things like games or watch movies. I just want a good "mature":smile: phone. I rather read something on the net than play Sonic. Hey, to the rest of you stop just looking at the thread and add your input:smile: I play on buying a phone in the next week. Thanks

noeffectx
04-30-2006, 02:03 PM
i'm assuming you already have portable media toys? Now all you need is reliable OS and somewhat durable phone/pda with zipping data transfer(like edge) for mature boys like you? right lol. get a bb8700 if you like to read email or web articles on the web :)

K-Mack
04-30-2006, 02:07 PM
I have had my BB 8700c on Cingular for a couple of weeks and I enjoy it very much so far, very stable OS.(y)

paulbblc
04-30-2006, 02:45 PM
bryan, in no way was my use of the word "toys"a bash on you so I hope you didn't take it as such. I think you will find that the BB os runs extremely well. I would recommend maybe demoing both of them if possible to find out which you liked better.

jmobbs
04-30-2006, 03:38 PM
8700c!! You won't be disappointed.

itsmebryan
04-30-2006, 04:05 PM
No the word "toys" did not bother me that's what a N-gage is. It's a VDO game and movie player that happens to be a phone. Has anyone tried their BB with GPS programs and receivers. Is the bluetooth very stable?

Dubdub
04-30-2006, 07:18 PM
I don't think the BB will run the GPS software however. You need to make sure before you invest in a BB. If the GPS is your primary requirement, then I'd go with the 8125 and Windows Mobile 5. More GPS software for that. None for the BB that I know of.

itsmebryan
04-30-2006, 07:47 PM
I found GPS software for the BB It's called "Spot" and they have a version that works with Bluetooth receivers. So that's no problem.

BES admin
04-30-2006, 09:02 PM
I have an 8700c with Cingular, and I love it. I recently tried a Nokia 9300 and absolutely couldn't continue using it. I went back to my 8700 less than two weeks later.

brandbb
05-01-2006, 02:53 PM
I found GPS software for the BB It's called "Spot" and they have a version that works with Bluetooth receivers. So that's no problem.

8700c doesnt have a GPS.

itsmebryan
05-01-2006, 06:35 PM
8700c doesnt have a GPS.
If you read the first post I said I orderd a Holux 236 Bluetooth GPS receiver. It send the info to your phone, laptop, and blackberries.

brandbb
05-02-2006, 01:18 PM
If you read the first post I said I orderd a Holux 236 Bluetooth GPS receiver. It send the info to your phone, laptop, and blackberries.

No I missed that.:oops:

Sounds cool, dont understand how it works, but Ill take a look at it.