PDA

View Full Version : 7520 (Nextel) not booting up... constant hour glass.

rjj130
05-03-2006, 10:07 AM
The unit just completed activating on our BBE server when it froze.

It came up with the blue screen stating that it had completed, I went and went to go into the phone book and it froze.

I did the old pop out the battery and reseat it to reset it.

Well since I have done that, it's been trying to boot up and all it's doing is spinning the hour glass.

Is there another way to do a master reset? I have searched Google, Blackberry's site, Nextel's site, and this forum to no avail.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I have tried another battery, I have also tried w/ the Sim and w/out it. Also another sim card.

Fkewl
05-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Find the app "JL_Cmder" in blackberryforums (or see KB-02318 on the Blackberry site)

you will be able to wipe from the command line

then you'll need to reinstall the OS (see KB-03621)

then redo the activation on the BES

rjj130
05-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks... I did a few more 'hard resets' and it finally came up on it's own.

I'm not sure what the issue was, but thank you for your reply.

Fkewl
05-03-2006, 10:41 AM
still.. go get the JL_cmder app .. it's a nice tool to have

rjj130
05-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Okay, we still had problems with the handheld itself and decided to wipe the handheld.

I read thru a few articles on the JL_cmder software and felt this was a doable solution.

I downloaded the newest handheld BB software from Nextel/BB's site and then wiped the device.

Upon trying to install the OS, I receive an error:

UNABLE TO COMPLETE THE LOADING OPERATION:

A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.

Unable to communicate with the radio hardware. Please ensure that a charged battery is installed in the device and try the loading operation again. [P:0x0000000F]

It does this right after it erases the handheld and loads the software, re-initializes it and then attempts to communicate with the radio software.

I have the 507 Error as well...

Please help!

rjj130
05-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Also, tried going back a version and still no go... same error as above.

PDA Admin
05-03-2006, 03:19 PM
I've encountered the same thing on several occasions. The device is bad and needs to be replaced (that is what is causing the error when trying to load the new OS). The 507 error simply means no operating system is on the device.

I've gone through all the trouble shooting with RIM and eventually always have to back to my Nextel rep. for a replacement.

rjj130
05-03-2006, 03:21 PM
I've encountered the same thing on several occasions. The device is bad and needs to be replaced (that is what is causing the error when trying to load the new OS). The 507 error simply means no operating system is on the device.

I've gone through all the trouble shooting with RIM and eventually always have to back to my Nextel rep. for a replacement.

That's not really an option, I don't believe... it makes no sense that it won't load the OS...

KonTiki
05-03-2006, 03:25 PM
If there is hardware failure it certainly can refuse to load the OS. I have seen it before, if wiping it and reinstalling wont work you are out of options, even if you were to manage just from sheer number of attempts to succeed, I would be weary that this device could quit on you at the drop of a hat.

rjj130
05-03-2006, 03:27 PM
If there is hardware failure it certainly can refuse to load the OS. I have seen it before, if wiping it and reinstalling wont work you are out of options, even if you were to manage just from sheer number of attempts to succeed, I would be weary that this device could quit on you at the drop of a hat.

So if I go to Nextel and tell them it wouldn't load the OS, what are they going to do? Will they replace it?

strobate
05-03-2006, 04:35 PM
RIM doesn't license Nextel to repair devices so they get mailed in from the NRS. With NSP this shouldn't cost anything.

Kyos
05-04-2006, 01:57 AM
I had my first 7520 do that, just took it in and they gave me a new one.

rjj130
05-04-2006, 07:31 AM
I'm just going to call Nextel today and suggest hardware failure... the gentleman that had it said he was having issues with the radio not wanting to turn on and this pretty much backs that up...

Wish me luck! Thank you all for your help.