PDA

View Full Version : Deploying Idokorro client software with 4.0

Lowtrac
02-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Is it possible to deploy the handheld client with a handheld software configuration in BES 4.0? I've tried for a while and can't get it to work. I've never tried to deploy any software this way, so it must be something I'm doing wrong... I've shared my common files\research in motion folder and when I add a new configuration and point it to that UNC path, I see Application Software under Application Name, but I can't do anything with it. There's a + next to it, but it won't expand. I've placed a directory containing the contents of the color client install directory in several locations under the \research in motion folder and it never appears.

James

bfrye
02-15-2005, 01:28 PM
This is how I do mine and it works like a charm.

First I have multiple software dist directories for user color, user bw, admin color and admin bw. To create these I simply copy the research in motion folder, rename it and share the new one.

Under Shared\Applications I create new directories for each software package I want to install. IE: Idokorro Mobile Admin, VeriChat, BBToday, etc... Then copy the .cod and .alx files into those directories respectively.

Then I created a batch file to re-index all software dist directories at once that looks like this.

@<hidden> off
cd \Program Files\Common Files\User BW\AppLoader
loader /index
echo Populating BW User software listing...
cd \Program Files\Common Files\User Color\AppLoader
loader /index
echo Populating Color User software listing...
cd \Program Files\Common Files\Extras\AppLoader
loader /index
echo Populating Extras software listing...
cd \Program Files\Common Files\Admin Color\AppLoader
loader /index
echo Populating Color Admin software listing...
cd \Program Files\Common Files\Admin BW\AppLoader
loader /index
echo Populating BW Admin software listing...

echo Software indexing completed.
pause

Now when you open up BES Manager, under Software Configurations you need to add new for each set.

First create your application policies for each set, user bw, user color, admin bw and admin color.

Next, add new configuration. Name the configuration the same as the app policy, and point it to the appropriate shared directory (IE: Admin Color -> \\bes_server\admin color).

After saving, you should see the configurations listed in the top window. I also put the device OS for the devices in that policy too, not required, but just good practice. Underneith that you'll see "Application Software" listed. Click the checkmark and you'll see your software packages listed with checkboxes. Set the right policy and the delivery type to "Wireless".

Lastly, you'll need to open the handheld tab and assign the configurations to the users. I make a habit of assigning all users app policies, then denying 3rd party software loads, that way you are in complete control of what software they do or don't have on their devices.

Let me know if that helps.

Lowtrac
02-16-2005, 08:21 AM
Thanks! That appears to have worked on the server side. I didn't have my directory structure correct and I didn't know about the loader /index thing. I've created a software configuration, a policy, and applied the configuration to my own device. How long can you expect the install to take? I haven't seen the app appear yet, and it's been about 15 minutes. Also, in the Handheld Configuration Tool, my devices has an entry that says "Configuration Status: Check Required". This hasn't changed, even after I click the "Update Configuration Check Status" link.

James

bfrye
02-16-2005, 09:24 AM
Make sure all your wireless recon options are set to yes.

I've seen it take up to 12hrs to get software delivered, but typically in 4-6hrs you should see it. I don't think it check immediately, but maybe every 4-8 hours for software updates.

Lowtrac
02-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Where are the wireless recon options?

bfrye
02-16-2005, 10:11 AM
User properties on the server tab.

bfrye
02-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Actually. Go to user properties, then PIM Sync. Make sure Automatic Handheld Management Enabled is set to True. I think that's what allows the software to be delivered.

Lowtrac
02-16-2005, 11:24 AM
There's a check box that says "Enable wireless device management for this user" and it's checked. I'll just sit back and see what happens.

Thanks again.

loonews
02-17-2005, 04:46 AM
Yea great isn't it. bfrye was kind enough to ask RIM about this when I asked a similar question. I'm very concious about wanting to SEE that things are working rather than taking someones word for it. The wireless application installs and the wireless backup of devices on the BES is a guessing game. You have to wait on the installs for quite some time just to see if you actually did it right, do not like this. I wanna "push now" button grrrr :)

But yes it can take what I consider a rediculous amount of time to do this. On the plus side, it does work. Just for testing purposes I'd pick something small and insignifigant like the bblight app or something. Once you get that to work you'll have a feel for setting them up right. Always remember to do the loader /reindex, without that you will not see the apps you've put on the server.

bfrye
02-17-2005, 08:28 AM
I agree, it is sometime annoying having to wait 12hrs or so for the software to deploy, but I look at it this way. Was it any better pre-4.0? ;)

Lowtrac
02-17-2005, 10:52 AM
I still haven't gotten the Mobile Admin software to my device. I installed it manually this morning. I think if it was going to do it at all, 24 hours should be plenty of time. I'm still showing "Configuration Status: Check Required" in the handheld manager. I'll play around with a smaller app as recommended to try to figure it out.

James

pzkzm9
02-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Good thread guys .. it's been helpful, however ... I have been unable to get the app to install over the air "under the delivery column" ... it says "wireline only" ... and appears to be a field that cant be changed, no option for wireless ... how do you get that changed, I didnt see it as an option in the policy either.

The "enable wireless device management for this user" is enabled.

Thanks

bfrye
02-18-2005, 03:08 PM
if it's a separate application (independant of the OS handheld software), you should just click on it after you assign it a policy and it will give you the wireless option. Anything under the OS listing is wireline only however, including things like brickbreaker, help and password keeper.

Lortsie
06-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Anyone have an update? I heard they were looking into including a software 'push' button in the Handheld Configuration Tool. Can anyone confirm this?

We recently installed and configured our BES, and I have to say I love it, except for this issue. Users expect to know when they can have their new app. And in some cases out in house developed apps will need to be updated on the handhelds ASAP. Besides doing the blackberry shuffle on a USB hub, I have no way of telling the a time I can guarantee delivery. Very annoying.

bfrye
06-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Nope... nothing new to report unfortunately :(

rsun
06-23-2005, 09:42 PM
I can't get pushing my apps to work. I made a copy of the Research in Motion directory under Common Files, I shared it as "BBApps", I copyied my .alx and .cod files into the AppLoader directory under this BBApps directory and then I tried the loader /index, but it doesn't seem to do anything? Did I copy the .alx and .cod file correctly to the server? Are they supposed to go somewhere else? When I add this as new configuration under Software Configurations, no apps show up.

rsun
06-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Figured it out, no worries, it's pushing my apps as we speak :-)