PDA

View Full Version : T Zones

asianmaze
05-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Just curious. Does anyone in the UK use Tzones? If you do, what do you find them useful for? As a T-Mo uk user, I'm baffled about their value but am open to convincing.

So, if you're a die hard Tzone fan, here's your opportunity...

wibbly
05-10-2006, 04:31 AM
No, I don't use it. It's just an operator's attempt at adding value with their own portal. If the content doesn't work for you (it doesn't for me) it's all but useless. And T-M don't allow you to change the home page either grrrr. But look at the web'n'walk plan, which you can get on BB now too. I combine it with a 'Flext' voice/SMS plan.

I pay a premium for unlimited surfing, but this is offset by a lower BIS access charge. I also get the more generic w'n'w browser (rebranded RIM Internet Browser) which is much better than the T-Zones (re-branded RIM WAP browser). I can change the home page and other settings locked down in the T-Zones browser, and it works for sites the T-Zones browser didn't let me get to, like mobile.blackberry.com. The w'n'w homepage is also more useful as it's one of those PDA-friendly site lists...

Result is

- Unlimited email and surfing
- Monthly allowance for calls and SMS's usable in any combination
- Better browser (may be co-incidence, but I couldn't get the w'n'w browser before)

For me, means I in effect have fixed charge all *I* can eat email, UK calls, SMS, and web browsing on my BB

Before you ask, for me that's Flext 25 + w'n'w + BB = UKP 38.38 a month, if I recall correctly. That gives me UKP 60 to spend on calls/texts a month before I run into extra charges. Suits me... :-)

asianmaze
05-10-2006, 05:05 AM
<No, I don't use it. It's just an operator's attempt at adding value with their own portal. If the content doesn't work for you (it doesn't for me) it's all but useless. >

That's pretty much how I feel too.

<And T-M don't allow you to change the home page either grrrr.>
And again!

<But look at the web'n'walk plan, which you can get on BB now too. I combine it with a 'Flext' voice/SMS plan.>

I found that by changing the browser emulation as recommended on the forum I avoid Tzones very easily. Not had any problems getting the wap.blackberry forum site either since then, nor ebay etc. I'm keen to keep my T-mo plan as long as I can as it's pretty cheap - had it a long time! When/if I have to change will take on board your idea - sounds good. Thanks for that.

wibbly
05-10-2006, 05:14 AM
Can I ask what plan you're on now? PM me if you'd rather.

W

asianmaze
05-14-2006, 05:50 AM
I'm on an ancient plan called Anytime 75. Costs me £14.99 a month. I pay an extra £10 a month for data. Phoned them up yesterday to see if there was a better way for me to go - answer was a (reluctant, but helpful) No.

wibbly
05-14-2006, 06:34 AM
£10 for the BB bit, right? I think that gives you 50MB BIS fair use and 3MB general GPRS on top, right?

asianmaze
05-14-2006, 06:37 AM
That's what I understand. I'n curious why you're asking...?

wibbly
05-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Just trying to make sure I understand where the good deals are...

asianmaze
05-14-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure that's with T-mo. But this suits me currently, especially with the free voicemail it includes. And provided I avoid T-zones.

mymitsu3kgt
05-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Free voicemail as an option! That is an old plan.

wibbly
05-15-2006, 03:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Free voicemail as an option! That is an old plan.

My daugher has a current T-Mobile plan (not BB) with free voicemail.