PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry & Wap Questions

Norstar
05-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi all,

I am new to the forums (and blackberry!) and am having trouble finding straight answers to a couple of questions. I was hoping someone on here might be able to help me.

Something you should know is that I bought my BB 7230 from ebay and it works fine for making / receiving calls & sms. I have contacted o2 who have told me I don't have the correct account for using blackberry, but I am thinking that i should still be able to use GPRS WAP for IM etc (but I could be wrong). My understanding is that I'd need to be fully BB enabled to use email push. I have tried my sim in another phone and I can use GPRS without any problems. Also, I have tried all this with both a payg and contract sim.

Okay, now for my questions:

1. I am trying to use a Gmail program I got from handango.com and am getting an error; "Network Error Null". I am also getting the same from another program called IM+. When I downloaded both these peices of software I chose to install the WAP versions (I assumed that I wouldn't need to be fully BB enabled from my provider for the WAP versions). When any program tries to download or anything I can see a little arrow in the top right corner of my screen which I'm assuming means tx and rx.

2. Should I be able to use GPRS even if I don't have a BB contract? I read in one of the FAQ's here on blackberryforums.com that when it says gprs as apposed to GPRS it means you have a basic data service. On my blackberry it does say gprs in lowercase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I will begin pulling some of my hair out soon!!!

BERDucky
05-06-2006, 11:35 AM
basically no data plan=gprs (not GPRS)
no GPRS = no email or browsing

rcbjr
05-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the forums (and blackberry!) and am having trouble finding straight answers to a couple of questions. I was hoping someone on here might be able to help me.

Something you should know is that I bought my BB 7230 from ebay and it works fine for making / receiving calls & sms. I have contacted o2 who have told me I don't have the correct account for using blackberry, but I am thinking that i should still be able to use GPRS WAP for IM etc (but I could be wrong). My understanding is that I'd need to be fully BB enabled to use email push. I have tried my sim in another phone and I can use GPRS without any problems. Also, I have tried all this with both a payg and contract sim.

Okay, now for my questions:

1. I am trying to use a Gmail program I got from handango.com and am getting an error; "Network Error Null". I am also getting the same from another program called IM+. When I downloaded both these peices of software I chose to install the WAP versions (I assumed that I wouldn't need to be fully BB enabled from my provider for the WAP versions). When any program tries to download or anything I can see a little arrow in the top right corner of my screen which I'm assuming means tx and rx.

2. Should I be able to use GPRS even if I don't have a BB contract? I read in one of the FAQ's here on blackberryforums.com that when it says gprs as apposed to GPRS it means you have a basic data service. On my blackberry it does say gprs in lowercase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I will begin pulling some of my hair out soon!!!
---

You're not going to get any data service app to work without a Blackberry data plan.

No BB Plan = No Data Service!

No Pre-Purchase Research = No Satisfaction!

Sorry, I know it's not what you wanted to hear but your gonna have to shell out the extra £ for BB data

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

Norstar
05-07-2006, 03:46 AM
Thanks for your answer, tbh I thought this would be the case! I'll get onto my provider and upgrade.

Thanks again !!

slapshotw
05-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Also, for that connection error, even after your plan-- you may have to set APN settings for your carrier. There are instructions in the forum for that.

-Matt

DrEvil
05-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Here is an interesting note on that topic, I picked up a Tmobile 6710, and at the time, I just had the data plan for PDA, and the BB showed gprs (lowercase) but was able to fully browse even though I did not have the bb plan. Now, I do, with my 7230 and 8700c, and when I put my sim in the 6710, i get GPRS. but nothing else changed... interesting?