PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile BlackBerry 7105t as a bday gift

noeffectx
05-07-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm thinking about getting my gf, T-Mobile BlackBerry 7105t, for her birthday next month.
i'm just wondering how do you guys like this phone(i've heard about bad mic or reception/voice quality about this phone) and is it mp3 ringtone compatible?

thanks

EricaJ1074
05-07-2006, 10:29 AM
I have had mine for 6 weeks and love it. I haven't used it as a phone yet so I don't know about the supported ringtone formats. The speaker works great (vibrations and tones can be heard and felt. I just wish they had the 4.1 OS upgrade to make these even louder). Other than this, she will love the SureType (if she's used Predictive Text, or T9 before, she'll love this) and the smaller phone form factor. The organizer features will come in handy if needed (college, personal, work, etc). There are also the themes which she can change to fit her personality. I think you're doing the right thing by introducing her to the BlackBerry. And you two can keep in touch using BlackBerry Messenger LOL Good luck

noeffectx
05-07-2006, 10:46 AM
I have had mine for 6 weeks and love it. I haven't used it as a phone yet so I don't know about the supported ringtone formats. The speaker works great (vibrations and tones can be heard and felt. I just wish they had the 4.1 OS upgrade to make these even louder). Other than this, she will love the SureType (if she's used Predictive Text, or T9 before, she'll love this) and the smaller phone form factor. The organizer features will come in handy if needed (college, personal, work, etc). There are also the themes which she can change to fit her personality. I think you're doing the right thing by introducing her to the BlackBerry. And you two can keep in touch using BlackBerry Messenger LOL Good luck

Thanks Erica. ok now i found out 7100 doesnt support mp3 ringtones, though it does support adp and midi ringtone file format. one question down, one more to go, lol

to 7100 users, how's the Phone feature on this phone?

serpico
05-07-2006, 10:51 AM
see post below

serpico
05-07-2006, 10:58 AM
[woops - editing my earlier post and accidently hit new reply instead of saving changes. Mods - pls can you delete my first post above]

Check out this thread before you buy:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=8797

My understanding, from more knowledgeable participants in these forums, is that the hardware in the 7105 is identical to the 7100, and thus suffers from the same design flaws.

IMHO, these are great data devices, but horrible phones - the average inexpensive voice-only cell phone will outperform the 7100 series as a phone; my prior free-after-rebate LG phone blows away my 7100 for voice, and let's not even compare the 7100 to my 8-yr old Motorola Startac for voice.

Again, IMHO, if she is a gadget freak, like many of us in the forums, she may find the excellent email/messaging/pda qualities outweigh the phone flaws. I don't think there is currently a better/more reliable data device than a BB.

Some folks say that the 7130 (currently only available in CDMA) fixes the microphone flaw. I saw a review that suggested that the 7130 is about as good as other BBs as a phone (which is to say, mediocre); but if it doesn't have the microphone flaw it probably won't be horrible.

noeffectx
05-07-2006, 11:13 AM
[woops - editing my earlier post and accidently hit new reply instead of saving changes. Mods - pls can you delete my first post above]

My understanding, from more knowledgeable participants in these forums, is that the hardware in the 7105 is identical to the 7100, and thus suffers from the same design flaws.

IMHO, these are great data devices, but horrible phones - the average inexpensive voice-only cell phone will outperform the 7100 series as a phone; my prior free-after-rebate LG phone blows away my 7100 for voice, and let's not even compare the 7100 to my 8-yr old Motorola Startac for voice.

Again, IMHO, if she is a gadget freak, like many of us in the forums, she may find the excellent email/messaging/pda qualities outweigh the phone flaws. I don't think there is currently a better/more reliable data device than a BB.

Some folks say that the 7130 (currently only available in CDMA) fixes the microphone flaw. I saw a review that suggested that the 7130 is about as good as other BBs as a phone (which is to say, mediocre); but if it doesn't have the microphone flaw it probably won't be horrible.

Thanks, shes not really a gadget freak. shes just really impressed with the email "push technology" of the bbs. though i dont want to email or IM here, everytime we need to talk or argue lol.

serpico
05-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks, shes not really a gadget freak. shes just really impressed with the email "push technology" of the bbs. though i dont want to email or IM here, everytime we need to talk or argue lol.
Apparently MS is making a change to WM to more closely approximate push email, so BB's advantage may be significantly eroded.

As someone who will be on the other end of your gf's phone quite a lot, you should really try the phone out before buying. It's satisfactory if used indoors, in a relatively quiet environment because (a) microphone doesn't have to filter out the background noise, and (b) she will be able to hear even though the earpiece volume is not very loud. Forget about using this phone outdoors or in a noisy environment - or at least try it before buying and see for yourself.

noeffectx
05-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Apparently MS is making a change to WM to more closely approximate push email, so BB's advantage may be significantly eroded.

As someone who will be on the other end of your gf's phone quite a lot, you should really try the phone out before buying. It's satisfactory if used indoors, in a relatively quiet environment because (a) microphone doesn't have to filter out the background noise, and (b) she will be able to hear even though the earpiece volume is not very loud. Forget about using this phone outdoors or in a noisy environment - or at least try it before buying and see for yourself.

I totally agree with you. the problem is, most of my friends/family are using 8700g or 8700c and 7290. i went to couple of tmobile stores around my area, but they dont have 7105t that i can try. all they have is dummy/display phones.

serpico
05-07-2006, 11:51 AM
<snip>i went to couple of tmobile stores around my area, but they dont have 7105t that i can try. all they have is dummy/display phones.

I've always found that to be a bit of a joke. I don't expect the independent resellers to have working phones, but the big mobile operators really should have working phones (they can set some sort of software/hardware imposed limit on how long a person can talk while checking out the phone). I was able to do this once at a Cingular shop - some of the display phones were real and activated.

noeffectx
05-07-2006, 11:55 AM
serpico, the other phone i was thinking about getting her is the tmobile SDA, it got like a push email too, but its hard to configure the email settings. Her school is using an Angel email program(its like a webase outlook too or something close to that i guess) but the Angel email program will not allow pop or forward feature for her school email account and the IT's are no use either. setting up her email(receiving and sending) through BIS2.0 is very easy less than 5secs process. thats why my first choice for her is a BB coz its very user friendly and she can use it for school too.

noeffectx
05-07-2006, 11:57 AM
I've always found that to be a bit of a joke. I don't expect the independent resellers to have working phones, but the big mobile operators really should have working phones (they can set some sort of software/hardware imposed limit on how long a person can talk while checking out the phone). I was able to do this once at a Cingular shop - some of the display phones were real and activated.

Yeah you know what you do have a point. Actually, I didnt went to independent reseller. I went to tmobile direct stores, but got no luck.

serpico
05-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Maybe Motorola will release the Q (only for Verizon initially) before her birthday.

mymitsu3kgt
05-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I've heard people having problems with the voice quality on the 7100t (7105t same thing) but I had my 7100t for a year, upgraded the firmware to 4.0 (still waiting for 4.1) and I haven't had a single person complain that they couldn't hear me. I think your gf would especially be happy with the smaller form factor that makes it shaped like other smaller phones.

penk
05-07-2006, 02:06 PM
i have to second mymitsu3kgt's words above.

while in noisy and windy areas, i had a handful of complaints about background noise sneaking across my 7100t, but those went away following the first official upgrade. with my 7105t, i've had no complaints whatsoever about wind or extra noise, a muffled voice or my beard hair scratching across the keypad (for your sake i hope that last one won't be an issue for your girlfriend, either.).

also, with BBOS 4.1 (available, if not officially supported) i love this thing more and more. once it goes south (although i don't expect it to do so any time soon), it will be replaced by one of the GSM 7130s (whichever design i like best).

final thoughts: with the amount of time you've spent here, you know what the 'berrys are capable of and how to fix 'em - can you say the same for the SDA? are you prepared to frequent SDA boards along with this one, or would you leave your gf to fend for herself?

EricaJ1074
05-07-2006, 03:04 PM

I had a great experience with my 7100t as a phone. I had no complaints while using it as a phone (unless I forgot a headset which was my fault one time). It was as good as my POS Samsung E635 (when that phone worked :x ). Hardware has been updated to include a scratch-resistant screen, beveled (contoured) keys for typing and obviously the new face color. Internally, I find the 7105t loads pages much faster than the 7100t. Boot up time seems to take less time (unless upgrading the OS). I love my 7105t now but it's only lacking EDGE and I'll probably get the 8700g next year or as a birthday or Christmas gift to myself.

noeffectx
05-07-2006, 03:08 PM
penk you are right, i know little about the sda. most likely going to get her the 7105t, instead. i searched all the website and did a research about 7105t and 7100t.they were saying( i dont know if its really true coz nobody confirmed this to me) that the diffrence between the 7105t and the 7100t are, on 7105t the screen is scratch resitant, they raised the button keys. but nothing really mentioned about improving the mic problem. atleast if something goes wrong with the 7105t i know where to look for help and where to get help ;) the advantage of having this blackberryforum.

thanks for the help and suggestion guys

noeffectx
05-07-2006, 03:13 PM
I had a great experience with my 7100t as a phone. I had no complaints while using it as a phone (unless I forgot a headset which was my fault one time). It was as good as my POS Samsung E635 (when that phone worked :x ). Hardware has been updated to include a scratch-resistant screen, beveled (contoured) keys for typing and obviously the new face color. Internally, I find the 7105t loads pages much faster than the 7100t. Boot up time seems to take less time (unless upgrading the OS). I love my 7105t now but it's only lacking EDGE and I'll probably get the 8700g next year or as a birthday or Christmas gift to myself.

actually my gf is giving me a hint about the 8700g. Yeah, aha! good luck with that, lol. i'm getting that as a bday gift to myself, 5months from now :D