PDA

View Full Version : 8700 vs. 7250 deliberation

secretagent007
05-13-2006, 12:23 AM
I am trying to decide whether to go with an 8700g or 7250 (verizon) and could really use some help!

Device differences:
1. Is there a remarkable difference between the two in sound quality for both the user and receiver for the phone function?
2. Is there a significant difference in signal reception?
3. The 7250 appears to be more durable than the 8700.
4. Any additional feedback/pro & cons on each unit is welcome!!

General:
1. I burn about 2000 min/mo. and require a high quality and reliable coverage & sound transmission/reception.
2. I prefer not to use a headset.
3. The BB device will be used with a BES for personal business/consulting.
4. I intend to keep my existing Verizon account (Razr for voice) preferably for personal.
5. I would like to use the BB for business purposes and be able to use the phone function regularly and seperate from personal life.

Carriers:
1. I could simply add a line and pay the unlimited data for $55/mo. and share the 2100 min. I'm already signed up for.

Or:
1. Sign up with T Mobile or Cingular and have a seperate plan and an 8700!
2. I have not tried T Mobile yet in my local (OC CA) so this is an unknown.
3. I have tried Cingular and was unimpressed witht the phone quality.

Other:
I will be spending 80% of my time in the USA and will be traveling internationally the other portion.

I have played with each device. The 8700 is really nice. But I am up in the air whether it is worth it or not to pay the extra $$$ and have a seperate TMO or Cingular account.

Thanks in advance for your input.

EricaJ1074
05-13-2006, 12:48 AM
Device differences:

1) I don't have either one but I would suggest the 8700 since it's the latest device.
2) Not sure. I've never used either one as a phone yet.
3) I have dropped all of my devices before and all of them except my Sidekicks and a few other phones have withstood the test. Not sure if you want to drop the phones during your trial period (although it may happen) and see which one works best after.

General:

1) Test both phones and see which one (Verizon vs T-Mobile) performs better.
2) Both phones work without headsets if you want to hold it to your ear. Otherwise, use the speakerphones.
3) Both can be used in BES/BIS
4) You can keep your Verizon phone and use the T-Mobile BB for voice.
5) You can also do that.

Carriers:
1) That would work unless you want the 8700g lol

OR

1) Go with T-Mobile and get the 8700g
2) Compare the phones and see which one works better.
3) Go with T-Mobile and get the 8700g

Other:
1) Add international data and voice before you leave the US and take it back off when you return, unless you travel too frequently and just want to leave it on your plan.

Hope this helps. Wish I could give more details but I'm not with Verizon or Cingular and have not played with those models or used them as phones.

LOL Love the signature

geekman686
05-13-2006, 01:06 AM
Since you spend some time outside the US, i think the decision is clear. You should get the T-mobile BB (either the 7290 or the 8700g). The verizon wireless device is useless outside the US.

I have a 7250 from Verizon Wireless and it has been a great device. I've never had any drop calls or any reception problems, but I VERY rarely travel outside the US.

I am very surprised by the quality and durability of my BB 7250, it feels much sturdier than my old Samsung cell phone.

Not to add to your confusion, but have you thought about cingular? My contract ends with Verizon soon and i was thinking about switching to cingular and the 8700.

EricaJ1074
05-13-2006, 01:15 AM
3. I have tried Cingular and was unimpressed witht the phone quality.

secretagent007
05-13-2006, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the input.

Please excuse my ignorance but what does LOL stand for?

Also, perhaps I should simply ask:

Can someone give some feedback on comparing the phone sound quality on:

1. The 7250 (sorry should be 7290 for gsm) vs. 8700 on the same network?

2. Phone quality on T Mobile vs. Verizon?

3. Phone quality on TMO vs. Cingular?

Thanks.

EricaJ1074
05-13-2006, 01:57 AM
Laughing Out Loud

radimus
05-13-2006, 02:22 PM
So, let me make sure I have this straight.

1. You want to keep a Blackberry for business data, personal data, and business voice.

2. You want to keep a regular phone for personal voice.

3. You want to be able to travel with the Blackberry, the phone, or both?

If I have 1 right, then while I know you said you would rather not have a headset have you considered a BB 8700 paired with a Jabra BT800 headset? The BT800 has a LCD display with caller ID and other functions, so if a call comes in your should be able to leave the BB holstered and see who is calling on the Jabra. It's larger than most headsets and for shorter calls you could probably just hold it up to your ear like a phone. Then if you need to refer to someone on the BB or take notes you can do so without activating the speakerphone on the BB.

Regarding 3, determine what wirless network exists in the countries you travel to and buy a device compatible with that system. In most cases, GSM is what you want but there might be a few countries that are CDMA.