PDA

View Full Version : Can't set 8700g Center convenience key to Address?

jfang
05-15-2006, 07:39 PM
When I had the 8700C, I had the center key set as a shortcut to the address book. I picked up the 8700G yesterday and you can set the shortcut to everything BUT the address book.

Am I missing something, or did that option disappear on the 8700g version?

nosidam
05-15-2006, 08:25 PM
It seems to have been "removed" in version 4.1.0.280/284. I had it on my 8700c, but it disappeared after the upgrade to Bharti. Not sure if it comes back with the Telstra version.

besdomino
05-16-2006, 03:51 AM
Funny I just reported this to Telstra Wireless Support. I am real Telstra customer. If you have any real Telstra issues and I can reproduce, then I will log then with Telstra as well.

So the issue of the No Address Book option for 'Side/Front Convenience Key Opens' options for 8700g

Platform Version 2.0.0.120 and BlackBerry Version 4.1.0.284
Platform Version 2.0.0.133 and BlackBerry Version 4.1.0.309

On a 8700g the Default Settings are

Front Convenience Key Opens - Nothing,
Side Convenience Key Opens - Profiles (Normal)

However as I did a backup of the 7100 (HK CSL 4.1) and restore to the 8700, my setting of Nothing actually shows the Address Book when I click the Front Convenience Key

On the 7100 the options are:
Nothing
Address Book
Alarm
BlackBerry Browser
Blackberry Messenger
etc

on the 8700g the options are
Nothing
Default (browser)
Alarm
BlackBerry Browser
Blackberry Messenger
etc

blenahan
05-16-2006, 07:48 AM
I had mine set to the address book before I upgraded to Bharti, so my front convenience key still opens the address book, but when I go into Screen/Keyboard options, it is set to 'Nothing'...

delmarco
05-16-2006, 09:11 AM
So can you downgrade back to the original OS and set it to address and then upgrade to the newer OS?

blenahan
05-16-2006, 10:01 AM
I would believe so

illy
05-17-2006, 05:46 AM
same problem here

blenahan
05-17-2006, 06:27 AM
to give you all the facts, I actually had the Cingular OS, then Bharti, then Telstra and downgraded back to Bharti last week. Through it all, I have retained the ability to open the Address Book with the convenience key.

dlsolo
05-17-2006, 05:41 PM
I noticed with my Telstra, it is called Contacts. Not address book. Just my two cents.

thequickad
05-28-2006, 10:46 AM
If you have read the manual, you would have found that both the <address book> and the <call log> functions are pre-set to the <Send> key and that's why it's not available any more.

If you press and hold the <Send> key, it automatically pops into the <address book> function.

Press <Send> key lightly and it activates the <call log> function.

PS - <Send> key is the key with the green bar across its face.

besdomino
05-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Yes I tried to live with using the method of holding down <Send> key to bring up the Address Book, however you can't SMS or email from here

To press and hold the <Send> key, it automatically pops into the <address book> function and Press <Send> key lightly and it activates the <call log> function, has been around since the 7100

thequickad
05-28-2006, 01:50 PM
I agree completely. What's the purpose of a "programmable key" if you can't program the functions? I was pretty unhappy when I couldn't do the <address book> function either.

Also, I use the phone function a lot and since the blueberry days I was able to just hold the <ESC> key to hang up the phone. Now that I have to switch my left hand to hold the phone and use my right hand to press the <end> button to hang-up. What a pain. The wheel and the <ESC> key was such a nice combination. Which idiot changed the looked-n-feel?

stealthx32
05-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Now that I have to switch my left hand to hold the phone and use my right hand to press the <end> button to hang-up. What a pain.

You must have short thumbs.

Which idiot changed the looked-n-feel?

Probably the ones that thought about it for a second, and then moved on with life because its really didn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Stinsonddog
05-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Why would you need to when you can use a shortcut key and save the center key for something else. See my tips document, but with most themes hitting A brings up the entire address book when you need it, or you can dial by name with the green send key as pointed out.