PDA

View Full Version : can i use a sim from an 8700 in a regular phone?

blackberrydentist
05-16-2006, 12:39 PM
i have an 8700c (unlocked) that i use with tmobile. can i pull the sim out of that and use it in a regular cell phone? when im outdoors doing active stuff i dont wanna lug the berry around. will this affect any data thats incoming (will my emails reconcile once i put the sim back in the 8700c?) thanks

johnfromphilly
05-16-2006, 12:46 PM
i have an 8700c (unlocked) that i use with tmobile. can i pull the sim out of that and use it in a regular cell phone? when im outdoors doing active stuff i dont wanna lug the berry around.

Yes, SIM will work on phone ( at least it does in my Nokia) not sure about the effect on data but phone will work.

whoscalling
05-16-2006, 01:37 PM
I wanted to do the same and your post reminded me to check this out. I am with Cingulasr and contacted their Data support team asking them the same question you posted. Here is their response:

Yes you can. It will not change any settings that you have with the blackberry. When you put the sim back in the blackberry all of the pending email messages will forward at that time. The only concern would be the Blackberry email box becoming full since there is a 25MB limit.

stripesace
05-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Only if you're on a BIS Delmarco, otherwise, you dont need to worry about 25MB caps.

The RIM server only holds 5 msgs from the BES, and then it sends a stop to the BES. If your blackberry did not have data the signal or whatever, the next time your blackberry shows up on the RIM system again, it releases those 5 waiting messges to your handheld and then removes the stop from the BES. This is so that your device, as well as the RIM servers don't get flooded wtih emails/data/etc. Once the BES recognizes the stop is removed it then starts forwarding the messages on to your handheld as normal. It figures, who's gunna pile through 5 emails in the split second it takes for all of that to happen, and it keeps the RIM servers, and your handheld from working too hard at once, which could cause other problems.

Part of the work around from the NTP lawsuit - was to change how the RIM server que'd the waiting messages.

whoscalling
05-17-2006, 12:06 PM
i have an 8700c (unlocked) that i use with tmobile. can i pull the sim out of that and use it in a regular cell phone? when im outdoors doing active stuff i dont wanna lug the berry around. will this affect any data thats incoming (will my emails reconcile once i put the sim back in the 8700c?) thanks

Did it last night and when i inserted it back to my BB my messages came through without a problem.

stripesace
05-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Cool, did you get 5 at once, and then a split second later get more?

whoscalling
05-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Only had 4 waiting. Sorry.