PDA

View Full Version : 7250 + Bell 4.1 + EVDO=short battery life?

NumNums
05-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Until getting the PRL update for EVDO on my Bell 7250, I would get 3 to 4 days of battery life.

Since the upgrade, I now get about 1.5 days out of the battery.

I have BBWeather and PicoNews running both before and after, so no change there. My wife has the same issue, and she has no extra apps.

We have Bell Mobility antennae on all floors in our office, and get a really strong EVDO signal (all bars) there, but elevators, parking, etc. have nothing. Also have dodgy EVDO service at home.

My sneaking feeling is that I should turn off EVDO - I think the searching for the network is what's killing the battery. The only problem is that it turns on again by itself.

I'm tempted to downgrade the OS :? . Battery life has more impact on my day-to-day life than the network speeds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ontittech
07-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Numnums:

I have noted the same problem with Telus on our 7250's
I updated a half dozen of them, and then all of the users started complaining about the battery life, so I ended up just rolling them back to 4.0 until RIM/Telus can get back to me with an Answer on why the Battery Life is so drastically reduced.

From What I have been told so far though, is that the EVDO is what is causing the issue, as Telus/Bell Do not intend to fully roll out EVDO until September at the earliest, and right now it is simply a pilot project in Toronto and Montreal.
4.1 was intended to be rolled out at the same time as Telus/Bell Flipped the switch on EVDO for the rest of the country, but RIM was forced to release it early to resolve other issues.

Jase88
07-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (7250: BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

Why not simply set your device to "1X only" in network settings? Problem solved.

You are correct: the thrashing back and forth from 1X to EVDO is what's killing the battery.

NumNums
07-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Actually, even with setting the network to 1X, there are issues:

1) It still goes to 1XEV at times, despite the setting showing "1X" - bug in the O.S. is my guess
2) If the radio is turned off and on again (or the unit is restarted), the setting goes back to "Automatic"

After all that effort to get the updated Bell PRL to enable EVDO, it is kind of stupid that I am now trying to get rid of it :)