PDA

View Full Version : The Q is coming next week

junior1790
05-17-2006, 08:48 AM
There was an old Thread about the Motorola Q but could not find it, anyway check'em all engadget.com, gizmodo.com, phonescoop.com all have the "blackberry kiler" coming next week..... FYI

NJBlackBerry
05-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Quick - sell the RIMM stock. Again. Another BB Killer :-)

FlyingElvis
05-17-2006, 09:01 AM
To summarize the Q:

A day late and a dollar short.

Zro
05-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Quick - sell the RIMM stock. Again. Another BB Killer :-)

Done!

Thanks for the heads up NJ...I coulda lost a fortune if I had held on to this stock till next week when the Q came out :-)

Zro

jungleland
05-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Done!

Thanks for the heads up NJ...I coulda lost a fortune if I had held on to this stock till next week when the Q came out :-)

Zro

So funny..You really think that's not priced into the stock..Additionaly, you would be selling MASSIVE down movement..Horrible trading.

ALso, I assume the Q will NOT be true push email like the BB, is that correct?

strobate
05-17-2006, 01:19 PM
It will, with the update to Exchange.

NJBlackBerry
05-17-2006, 01:21 PM
You mean with Exchange 2003 and the additional software from Microsoft that's not out yet?

strobate
05-17-2006, 02:48 PM
It's out. Numerous 6700s are running with push email. I ran it with mine (for the two week period it took me to figure out WinMo is a joke).

jungleland
05-17-2006, 02:53 PM
It's out. Numerous 6700s are running with push email. I ran it with mine (for the two week period it took me to figure out WinMo is a joke).

But out of the BOX from verizon it will just run like a crappy treo? Not having Push, always on email?

strobate
05-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure what's coming installed anymore. I think VZW released the update, but I could be wrong.

Boy Genius
05-17-2006, 11:28 PM
The Q does not have the AKU2.0 (Push Email) installed. It will be a later firmware update. It may be announced Monday, but I highly doubt it will be in stores until later on in the month Verizon does not even have the unit in the system, no SKU #, no pricing, nothing. Also there is no stock at the warehouses.

BBAdmin
05-18-2006, 05:58 AM
The Q looks nice, but I can't see where the 50p piece slots in the side (or the dime to be international about it)!!!

junior1790
05-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Genius- push e-mail aside and the other obvious, os, etc. Would you say the Q is superior to the 8700 or not worth the effort. I only ask because I'm getting a liitle tired of always having a razr and a BB in my pockets. It used to be just had both when i was traveling or out of the office but now it's constant and i can't stand it. May have to jump to the Q. In your experience is the OS more stable than on the 700w, mine was quirky and also does it have more memory that 700w?? thanks for the help...

Boy Genius
05-18-2006, 11:35 AM
It depends on what you need, I carry the 8700, the Q and a special motorola phone I use as my main phone. The Q will definatly impress you in terms of all in one, its one of the best I have seen in that category. The speakerphone/reception/phone is amazing, and everything else is just like regular windows 5.0. It comes with double the amount of memory than the treo700w and is far more stable. If you dont need instant instant email/PIN/BES etc then the Q wouldnt be a bad choice at all. I can never give up the blackberry email and way it works. Razr + QWERTY you'll like it alot

junior1790
05-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Genius, thanks for the info. On top of the game as usual...

xxhiyanxx
05-19-2006, 08:34 AM
according to engadget.. not coming out next week

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/19/verizon-motorola-q-not-launching-next-week/

junior1790
05-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Unreal, last week every site on the planet had it touted for this next now no dice, typical...

Boy Genius
05-20-2006, 10:36 AM
but I highly doubt it will be in stores until later on in the month Verizon does not even have the unit in the system, no SKU #, no pricing, nothing. Also there is no stock at the warehouses.

BoyGenius does it again!

junior1790
05-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Looks like the final decision is here, available online may 31st and in stores june 5th. cheap too only 199.00 with new service.....

strobate
05-22-2006, 10:38 AM
With HIGH data prices (of course).

Ominx
05-22-2006, 10:50 AM
With HIGH data prices (of course).

Everyone kills VZW for high data prices. Am I the only one who thinks $40 isn't all that bad for unliminted broadband speeds one a device about the size of a deck of cards? I guess if all you're doing is checking movie times then Mobile Web would be more suitable for those users. But if you are really maximizing the potential of EVDO than I just don't see the argument.

Oh and as far as Sprint is concerned with their cheap data plans, I can't find them. Looking at the Sprint website I see $40 for 40MB and $80 for Unlimited Plans for Laptop/PDAs. The Business page shows BlackBerry Unlimited as $50. Am I missing something here? Verizon's Unlimited plan with tethering is $55.

strobate
05-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Per Engadget Mobile: "with EV-DO enabled data plans to run between $80 and $170 per month, depending on your usage."

Ominx
05-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Per Engadget Mobile: "with EV-DO enabled data plans to run between $80 and $170 per month, depending on your usage."

Those price quotes are with a bundled voice plan. If you take out voice, you are left with just data. Which is what the figures I posted above indicate. That is why saying "data plans" run $80 - $170 is a bit misleading.

craigw9292
05-22-2006, 08:18 PM
Someone probably already asked this but does the Q support tethering of some sort? since I already have it on my VZW plan I want to make sure my next supports it :)

-c

TheRFGuy
05-22-2006, 10:12 PM
It's a dual band phone! Hmm...can't roam internationally on it. Plus it doesn't have built in Wifi like the Nokia E61 does. For some reason, Motorola phones is always missing a few feature. Plus I am not a big fan of WM 5.0 - crashes all the time and a battery hog. I stick with my Blackberry 8700g.

Boy Genius
05-23-2006, 12:49 AM
The Q is hot man...I have to say I have used it every day for the past couple months, and never had to reset it once for any reason...yes I would take 8700g over Q anyday, but its still hot like fish grease

BBAdmin
05-23-2006, 04:34 AM
Coming next week...............I swear this device started life as the 'A' and during the constant delay in launch it's gotten to 'Q' - I bet by the time it hits the shelves it'll be the 'T' or maybe the 'V'!!! Got to say it does look nice though!

hcheun
05-23-2006, 06:05 AM
yeap, we're getting some for our secondary phones, so we get to test them, though forever my primary phone will be a BB7250 (or 8700 when it comes out for the CDMA!)

Regardless, it's a sweet phone, can't ignore that.

whsbuss
05-23-2006, 06:51 AM
Someone probably already asked this but does the Q support tethering of some sort? since I already have it on my VZW plan I want to make sure my next supports it :)

-c

Yes it does support tethering. Check www.qusers.com/forum/

Soapm
05-23-2006, 09:59 PM
It's a dual band phone! Hmm...can't roam internationally on it. .

The initial ones are CDMA only (VZ).

What version BBConnect will these use?

Here is the link for teathering http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=171

bcrowie
05-23-2006, 10:11 PM
okay.... so i know that one of the differences between the Q and blackberry's in general is the push email. What is the difference between having the emails pushed straight to your phone, and having always on email?

are there any other differences? besides the media capabilities, expandable memory, and wm os...... mainly anything i would miss from a blackberry.

serpico
05-24-2006, 09:30 AM
The Q is hot man...I have to say I have used it every day for the past couple months, and never had to reset it once for any reason...yes I would take 8700g over Q anyday, but its still hot like fish grease
BoyGenius, from your earlier post, it looks like you are carrying the 8700g, Q and another Motorola phone. If you had to carry only 1 device, which would it be (any device, not just the ones you currently own/demo)?

BBAdmin
05-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Looks like engadget got sent one...all retail boxed, must be ready for a US launch now:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/24/engadget-mobiles-got-a-q/

Boy Genius
05-24-2006, 12:31 PM
I would take 8700 over Q or any device persion if i had to pick..only cuz im addicted to the blackberry email, have a BES and blackberry messenger...Q is very fast altho email isnt nearly as good as a real blackberry and the whole thumbwheel back button is a complete knock off

junior1790
05-24-2006, 12:50 PM
genius- what about coming from a BIS account, marginal differences?? also I need a V3M bad can you deliver in that dept. $$$$ I'm in CT, meet you in the city...

serpico
05-24-2006, 02:29 PM
I would take 8700 over Q or any device persion if i had to pick..only cuz im addicted to the blackberry email, have a BES and blackberry messenger...Q is very fast altho email isnt nearly as good as a real blackberry and the whole thumbwheel back button is a complete knock off
How do you find the voice quality (both at your end and your listener's end) of the Q vs. the 8700?

Boy Genius
05-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Samething with BIS still would take the 8700...can't help you with the V3m sorry, I don't sell phones...voice quality on Q is incredible, people think im talking from a landline, quality is a little better than blackberry, can't say 100% if its the network (T-Mobile vs. Verzion) or phone

bcrowie
05-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Samething with BIS still would take the 8700...can't help you with the V3m sorry, I don't sell phones...voice quality on Q is incredible, people think im talking from a landline, quality is a little better than blackberry, can't say 100% if its the network (T-Mobile vs. Verzion) or phone

would you recommend buying the Q over a 7130?

craigw9292
05-24-2006, 10:17 PM
its a $100 cheaper than the 7130 :)

bcrowie
05-24-2006, 10:25 PM
its a $100 cheaper than the 7130 :)

oh dang.... i totally forgot. its only on verizon isnt it? im moving to sprint soon. anyone know if its coming out on sprint soon? or... could i get it unlocked?

serpico
05-24-2006, 11:53 PM
<snip>voice quality on Q is incredible, people think im talking from a landline, quality is a little better than blackberry, can't say 100% if its the network (T-Mobile vs. Verzion) or phone
WARNING - RANT BELOW
I've noticed about quite a lot of BB users (BoyGenius being the latest example that I've seen) carry more than one device, the second device being their primary device for phone calls. Now I'm sure that makes sense for many BB users, some of whom carry their BB for work, but like having a personal cellphone But for those of us who wish to carry one device and are not restricted to Blackberries for work-related reasons, IMHO the Blackberry is a mediocre device.

Now before I get flamed by those using BBs as their one and only smartphone (voice, pda, email), let me say the following (needless to say, these are only my opinions):
1. The BB is the best data/email device on the market b/c of its push email and OS stability.
2. BBs tend to be poor phones, the 7100 series being the prime example. I have been using the 7100t for almost 1yr now, and am disgusted at how poor the phone quality is on this thing - this is the 21st century fer cryin out loud!
3. For those carrying only 1 smartphone device, unless push email is critical, phone quality is more important than the particulars of how the data and email features are implemented. After all, I'd rather put up with 2-handed operation (over the beloved thumbwheel) than have my callers constantly complain about the poor sound quality, unless I'm in a very quiet room.

Unless I hear of marked improvement in voice quality in the newer BBs (7130, 8700, etc.) that make them comparable to the voice quality Motorola had in phones 8 years ago (ah, my old Startac, how I miss thee), I am switching when my contract is up. Not sure what I'm switching to yet, but I'm switching!

The most promising device for my needs appears to be the Q (my earlier thread re: my ideal phone's features: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=33858). The Q is being marketed as a "phone first" device:

From press release by VZW and MOT (http://news.vzw.com/news/2006/05/pr2006-05-22c.html):
Phone First
The Moto Q – coupled with the nation’s most reliable wireless network from Verizon Wireless – delivers what Verizon Wireless customers want most: an exceptional device for making voice calls. Plus, the Moto Q provides the advanced phone capabilities expected in an industry-leading phone, such as voice-activated dialing, smart contacts dialing, speakerphone, Bluetooth capabilities for certain profiles and more.

Motorola recognizes that it's not going to convert large corporations from BB to the Q anytime soon, so they're going after the consumer market, and I think the "phone first" approach is a smart move, attacking the BB's Achilles heel, especially as it relates to users who want only one device and are not restricted to BBs by corporate policy.

OK, done venting for now. Bring on the flames while I wait for Motorola to release a GSM version of the Q. :razz:

Pizzle
05-25-2006, 12:19 AM
No flame here. FWIW, The voice quality on my 8700c is probably the best of any recent phone I've owned. And I've never used a speakerphone on a phone that's had it before...until now. The speakerphone on this thing is amazing.

I've heard of issues with the 7100t, which I believe have been fixed with the 7105t, 7100g, and 7130. Can't say for sure, though, as I've never owned a SureType BB.

It's kinda weird to be holding basically a calculator up to my ear (assuming I'm not using my Bluetooth), but phone quality is NOT an issue for me on this new toy. :) I had a RAZR most recently, and while I got no complaints on the other end, I HATED that phone on my end. Couldn't hear the dang thing.

Lovin' the 8700. I'll probably play with a Q when the GSM version comes out, but it's going to take quite a bit to not make me a BB die-hard.

EricaJ1074
05-25-2006, 02:10 AM
Never had a problem with my 2 7100t's as phones. Quality was great. What sucked was the BT headset I used them with.

serpico
05-25-2006, 07:48 AM
Never had a problem with my 2 7100t's as phones. Quality was great. What sucked was the BT headset I used them with.
The voice problems with the 7100t are quite widely noted in this forum. Since these things are necessarily subjective (unless we bring out the sound meters), I accept your assertion that the 7100t worked well for you.

As for the 8700, here's an excerpt from the PCMag review (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1880153,00.asp):
We were glad to see that the phone is quad-band, which gives the best possible international roaming experience. But BlackBerrys have generally been mediocre phones, and the 8700c is no exception. Its earpiece is loud and the speakerphone very loud, but the built-in microphone is poor at canceling background noise and we experienced several audio dropouts and fluctuations during test calls despite the BlackBerry's interface reporting full signal strength.

PCMag also just reviewed the Q (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1967190,00.asp), paragraph on voice excerpted:
For voice quality, the Q is the best Verizon smartphone I've tested. Its reception comes close to the excellent RAZR V3c and Motorola E815. Sound through the earpiece, speakerphone, and Bluetooth headsets is unusually loud and clear; transmission is nearly flawless. VoiceSignal's voice-dialing application, which works over Bluetooth headsets, is terrific. This is an excellent phone, plain and simple. Battery life, at 5 hours 25 minutes of continuous talk time, is good, on a par with that of the Palm Treo 700p.

teamcrn
05-25-2006, 07:59 AM
well i dont like talking into a calculator anyway....lmao i have always carryed 2 devices.... i think its silly to have to wait for an email to go out or come in because your on the phone... so i carry a nextel 870i and a bb 7290.. look @<hidden> emails & spreadsheets while talking about them on the phone...i think all in ones are silly.. IMO

junior1790
05-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Thanks Genius, looks like i'm jumping for the Q, as least temporarily. Had to try with the V3M. For Pure Curiosity reasons what is that you do? You always have a big jump on the rest of the gadget public, i was under the impression that you located these pre-release devices for the high profile, cant live without the latest hottness. Just curious and thanks for all the up to date scoop.....

berry_apps
05-25-2006, 08:20 AM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1880153,00.asp[/url]):
We were glad to see that the phone is quad-band, which gives the best possible international roaming experience. But BlackBerrys have generally been mediocre phones, and the 8700c is no exception. Its earpiece is loud and the speakerphone very loud, but the built-in microphone is poor at canceling background noise and we experienced several audio dropouts and fluctuations during test calls despite the BlackBerry's interface reporting full signal strength.

PCMag also just reviewed the Q (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1967190,00.asp), paragraph on voice excerpted:
For voice quality, the Q is the best Verizon smartphone I've tested. Its reception comes close to the excellent RAZR V3c and Motorola E815. Sound through the earpiece, speakerphone, and Bluetooth headsets is unusually loud and clear; transmission is nearly flawless. VoiceSignal's voice-dialing application, which works over Bluetooth headsets, is terrific. This is an excellent phone, plain and simple. Battery life, at 5 hours 25 minutes of continuous talk time, is good, on a par with that of the Palm Treo 700p.

I'm not flamin' or going to rebut the claims from the magizines, but I will say that you not comparing apples to apples here.

The Q runings on Verizon's network which is CDMA which tends to be better known for it's voice quality then GSM networks.

The real comparison will be what does a GSM Q perform like on T-Mobile or Cingulars network.

So before rushing out and buying that Q to only have a year of misery I'd wait for voice quality reviews! ;) Just my 2 cents on the matter....

serpico
05-25-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm not flamin' or going to rebut the claims from the magizines, but I will say that you not comparing apples to apples here.

The Q runings on Verizon's network which is CDMA which tends to be better known for it's voice quality then GSM networks.

The real comparison will be what does a GSM Q perform like on T-Mobile or Cingulars network.

So before rushing out and buying that Q to only have a year of misery I'd wait for voice quality reviews! ;) Just my 2 cents on the matter....
Absolutely agree with you on the ideal comparison. I plan to wait for feedback on GSM Qs, assuming TMO or Cingular releases one at some point.

BoyGenius, any thoughts on whether/when we see a GSM Q? Presumably VZW has some exclusivity period?

Boy Genius
05-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Verizon has a 6-month exclusive, and while I do locate pre-production phones etc for clients of mine, they are never bought. They are all known about from the company. Basically if you buy a pre-production phone it is the manufacturers property and can get in some pretty serious trouble, even more so if you are the seller. Should have a sidekick 3 soon, will post a quick review

paulmac
05-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Q Review (gee I am a poet) anyway, check out this review. The author likes it but says the device freezes on average about twice a day. Let me run right out and buy one, Not!!

http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/funds/goodlife/10287711.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

serpico
05-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Q Review (gee I am a poet) anyway, check out this review. The author likes it but says the device freezes on average about twice a day. Let me run right out and buy one, Not!!

http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/funds/goodlife/10287711.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA
Most important part of review for me:
"The speakers provide ample stereo sound, and calls were crystal clear."
For those who need the device to be "data first", anything running the current version of Windows Mobile is probably not going to outperform a BB. But for those like me, who need their cellphone, to be first and foremost an excellent phone (especially when you don't have a landline), and a PDA/email device second, the Q is looking like a real contender.

FlyingElvis
05-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Most important part of review for me:
"The speakers provide ample stereo sound, and calls were crystal clear."
For those who need the device to be "data first", anything running the current version of Windows Mobile is probably not going to outperform a BB. But for those like me, who need their cellphone, to be first and foremost an excellent phone (especially when you don't have a landline), and a PDA/email device second, the Q is looking like a real contender.
Depends on what BB you are talking about. My 7130e is as good of a phone as I have ever had. And I've had a few from Moto, LG, Samsung etc.

whsbuss
05-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Hopefully when the Q is out a few weeks, we can get a better comparison. It looks like a great device but even when they upgrade the ROM for AKU2, it won't have the email finctionality the BB has. AutoFormat, AutoText is one of the BB's strong points.

I'll definately check one out when they arrive in stores.

whsbuss
05-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know if the Outlook in WM5 supports IMAP-IDLE? That would keep down the email polls and save the battery.

kb9liq
05-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Verizon has the Q on the website saying it will be out soon.

dolo
05-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Verizon has a 6-month exclusive, and while I do locate pre-production phones etc for clients of mine, they are never bought. They are all known about from the company. Basically if you buy a pre-production phone it is the manufacturers property and can get in some pretty serious trouble, even more so if you are the seller. Should have a sidekick 3 soon, will post a quick review

BG,

As you have always done, please be so gracious to include some comparison pics (for size purposes) in regards to the SK3, Q, Treo 6xx/7xx, and bb8700.

Hope all is well everyone.

Regards,
dolo

junior1790
05-31-2006, 09:23 AM
The gloves go on today, The now infamous Q has arrived!!!!!

hnsimpson
05-31-2006, 10:14 AM
oh dang.... i totally forgot. its only on verizon isnt it? im moving to sprint soon. anyone know if its coming out on sprint soon? or... could i get it unlocked?

Check:
http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=197&highlight=sprint

There may be other posts, but this was a cursory search of their forum.

-simpson

whsbuss
05-31-2006, 12:04 PM
One of the posts at Qusers.com mentioned having over 100 emails in his mailbox and couldn't delete more then one at a time. Can you imaging the OS not having a way to select mutiple messages for deletion? WOW!

Pizzle
05-31-2006, 12:19 PM
This is kinda cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASjhP1irDP4

W8RZ
05-31-2006, 01:29 PM
As "cool" as the new "Q" looks, let's remember that it still runs what has to be the world's worst OS! I'll put my BB 7130e up against ANY device that runs under windooooze (i.e. treo 700, Q, etc) I make absolutely NO apologies for saying what I just said. Windows is like a government bureacracy that just never seems to get more efficient. If it was ever possible to apply Einstein's definition of insanity (doing the same thing over & over again & expecting a different result) to an OS, Windooze would take first prize. For stability & security, it's pretty hard to beat Waterloo's best!

hnsimpson
05-31-2006, 01:32 PM
I bought a Q online. It should be here 2 June.

I look forward to running it hard for the first few days.

Prior to the 15 day trial period I will decide whether to keep the Berry (7100T) or the Q.

-simpson

whsbuss
05-31-2006, 01:47 PM

Prior to the 15 day trial period I will decide whether to keep the Berry (7100T) or the Q.

-simpson

Look forward to your review of the Q vs BB

tmj
05-31-2006, 03:10 PM
have yet to run into a mobile windows device that doesn't crash at the worst time possible, refuse to play nice with other software, or both. My BB may not be flashy, but it's bulletproof.

junior1790
05-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Genius-I think it's time you weighed in again....

richard371
05-31-2006, 05:53 PM
If I am surfing the web and a call comes in can will it ring?

Boy Genius
05-31-2006, 06:41 PM
I mean again...are you on a BES? is INSTANT email, reliability important to you? Do you have a need for PIN messages? Do you frequently multitask? I can not tell you how fast I am on the blackberry from copying a number from an email, pasting it to a blackberry messenger contact, responding to a Yahoo IM, responding to a AOL IM, text messaging, etc. All in a few seconds. There is NO WAY you could do that on the Q. It is true its smartphone so there is no select. You have to delete one by one, and you cannot copy and paste...go figure. I would stick with 8700, if you want music, video, and a phone first. Go Q.

richard371
05-31-2006, 06:52 PM
Yup from an email factor the 8700 wins. From a coolness/looks fun factor the Q wins. I just ordered the Q for 199 if I don't like it I have 15 days to return it. The reviews I have read so far say it is great.

whsbuss
06-01-2006, 06:46 AM
Yup from an email factor the 8700 wins. From a coolness/looks fun factor the Q wins. I just ordered the Q for 199 if I don't like it I have 15 days to return it. The reviews I have read so far say it is great.

Check out qusers.com - as users get their Q they are starting to complain about shortcomings (cut/paste, closing running apps, etc.) The best reviews come from real users....

strobate
06-01-2006, 07:58 AM
The above are WinMo issues. WinMo just isn't ready for prime time. I cannot believe the UI made it out of the design stage--too many inconsistencies, too many things buried in menus.

Compare to the BB, which remembers what type of message you want to send to a paticular contact, which folder you want to file a message in from a specific contact. The more I use BB the more I discover the little details work perfectly.

Inphektion
06-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Well here is a real user... I've had BB since the 950 model. Currently use the 8700 on cingular. Just got the Q yesterday and finally today got it working to push email to the device from my exchange server. It was slightly more painful to get direct push working on the Q because I had to install a root cert on it since I use my own from my cert server and not one from verisign, etc. However I'm now setup for a good comparision as both devices instantly push email.

Some quick things i like and don't like:

CONS of the Q:
1. Too many things ARE buried in menus, navigating the device is a little cumbersome and sluggish.
2. I can't really close apps. As you do stuff you realize everything is opening with everything else. If you hit the backspace key that looks like this "<--" it takes you back to every app or program you had open and closes them as you hit it. Just weird.
3. I wish clicking the trackwheel brought up a menu in apps. instead they use a softkey mapping.
4. They use predictive text to help complete things you are typing. I find this annoying just as I did on the 7100 but now I have a qwerty keyboard. I disabled it and wish they just had autotext.
5. Keyboard is harder to hit correctly for me though maybe I just need to get used to it as people complain about the 8700 for that but I have no problem there.
6. Everything you may want to do, where there exists the same function on the BB, require more scrolls, clicks or button presses to accomplish.
7. I can't seem to edit the profiles, they do give you 20 to choose from but i wish i could see their details to edit them.
8. No pins (I work in a company where everyone has a BB so we do use PINs as a quick way to message someone without having to go through the email system and getting a D on the sent msg to know they at least received it).
9. froze twice so far.
10. No great server side management compared to BES
11. feels plasticy and cheap. I was hoping for more of a razr feel.

PROS

1. compatibility with 3rd party apps
2. slingbox mobile
3. No BES price hit needed, setup push email with existing exch infrastructure.
4. I can play wav files, open all kinds of our corp docs and they look good. BB always slacked here for us without third party programs to help it.
5. multimedia features like camera, mini sd I like though not too important for me.
6. that's it for now.

One thing that is cool is I hear my bb go off when I get an email, 2 seconds later the Q goes off and 2 seconds after that my outlook alert goes off. So bb is still the fastest.

whsbuss
06-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Inphektion:

Wonderful review and comparision! I haven't seen/operated a Q yet but based on your CONS, I'm not sure I would switch over from my 7130e. I really want VZW to release an 8700 BB to revert back to a full Qwerty keyboard.

Inphektion
06-01-2006, 01:12 PM
And I don't know if you are on BES or not or have an exch 2003 server but I wouldn't switch my wife to this cause nothing on here works as well as her tmo bis does. If you are on corp env you can do exch push to it but outside of that you'd have to pop every 5 minutes I guess.

lgreenberg
06-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Big ad in this month's Men's Journal for the Q.

Just and FYI.

mriff
06-02-2006, 10:53 AM
An interesting short review on Q:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/06/01/motoq.ap/index.html

serpico
06-02-2006, 11:22 AM

-simpson
Looking forward to your review, especially since I'm in the same boat - I have a 7100t and wondering whether I should switch to the Q. In particular, would like to see your comparison of voice quality on 7100/TMO vs. Q/VZW, both on your end and your caller's end. Voice quality is my major gripe (and probably my only significant gripe) with the 7100t, and an improvement there would be worth putting up with some of the flaws/quirks of Windows Mobile, since my cellphone is my only phone (especially if omissions like cut & paste will be corrected with next version of OS).

FlyingElvis
06-02-2006, 11:25 AM
One thing that is cool is I hear my bb go off when I get an email, 2 seconds later the Q goes off and 2 seconds after that my outlook alert goes off. So bb is still the fastest.
It's Nick Burns, the company computer guy! :smile:

junior1790
06-02-2006, 01:01 PM
I have a Q in hand and in my overall opinion, GARBAGE. Form factor is unbeatable and call quality is exceptional, not just fopr a smartphone but for any phone, people think i am on a land line. Beyond those 2 shining stars as previously stated in this thread, it's winmo device and it sucks. I dont feel like getting into a real time review of all the details but i will say that if e-mail is at all important to you this sucker is not the answer. I've been comparing the Q to my 8700 for 2 days and not impressed with usability at all. The track wheel and back button are very Berry like which leads me into wondering why RIM cant have a device that is this thin with the worlds most stable mobile OS on it?????

mapada
06-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Damn, I was really looking forward to getting one too. I guess I will stick to my 7100 for now.

serpico
06-02-2006, 01:38 PM
I have a Q in hand and in my overall opinion, GARBAGE. Form factor is unbeatable and call quality is exceptional, not just fopr a smartphone but for any phone, people think i am on a land line. Beyond those 2 shining stars as previously stated in this thread, it's winmo device and it sucks. I dont feel like getting into a real time review of all the details but i will say that if e-mail is at all important to you this sucker is not the answer. I've been comparing the Q to my 8700 for 2 days and not impressed with usability at all. The track wheel and back button are very Berry like which leads me into wondering why RIM cant have a device that is this thin with the worlds most stable mobile OS on it?????
Is voice quality noticeably better than the 8700? Which network is your 8700 on? Have you made calls on the Q while outdoors or in a place with background noise?

junior1790
06-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Voice quality is excellent, my 8700 is on cingular. The Voice quality on my 8700 is horriffic, which is why i carry a verizon razr. iwas going to try and solve that problem with the Q but no dice for me. I have had many devices, 700w, htc's all weak for data isues. the Q is cool just very sluggish in performance and needs too many clicks and pushes to get things accomplished.....

serpico
06-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Voice quality is excellent, my 8700 is on cingular. The Voice quality on my 8700 is horriffic, which is why i carry a verizon razr. iwas going to try and solve that problem with the Q but no dice for me. I have had many devices, 700w, htc's all weak for data isues. the Q is cool just very sluggish in performance and needs too many clicks and pushes to get things accomplished.....
Thanks for the feedback. Quite a lot of people I personally know with BBs complain about voice quality, and many carry a separate cellphone like you do. However, quite a few people on this forum swear that their BBs are great for voice - maybe those folks are on VZW, but I find it hard to believe that BBs on GSM are "great" for voice quality. Maybe these people only use them under ideal conditions, or maybe they have never used a really great voice cellphone? Or maybe they are so enamored with the admittedly terrific data quality of the BB, they are willing to forgive its voice weakness? In any case, it's refreshing to see that you notice a distinct difference in voice quality between the 8700 and the Q (admittedly this is not apples-to-apples since these are on different networks).

Since my cellphone is my only phone (and I have no intention of carrying 2 devices!), voice is my first priority, and data is second, so it sounds like the Q might be a better device for me than my 7100t.

junior1790
06-02-2006, 02:51 PM
If It's a "voice first" issue for you and you are used to more than just a regular flip phone, which you are if you have a 7100 series, then the Q may not be a bad idea for you. If you go over to qusers.com you will probably find some helpful info there, just keep in mind that it's such a new device and those people there have been salivationg for them for almost a year, they are a little biased....

whsbuss
06-02-2006, 05:09 PM
If It's a "voice first" issue for you and you are used to more than just a regular flip phone, which you are if you have a 7100 series, then the Q may not be a bad idea for you. If you go over to qusers.com you will probably find some helpful info there, just keep in mind that it's such a new device and those people there have been salivationg for them for almost a year, they are a little biased....

My 7130e on Verizon has better voice quality than the LG and V710 I had. I guess its the network.

mmcpher
06-02-2006, 05:27 PM
I have used BBs for phone and data for a few years now. It seems silly to gripe about poor phone quality from several generations ago while RIM has improved dramatically since. If you like the data side of BB, but are frustrated by the phone quality, maybe you should upgrade to a later model BB. If you get the right BT and OS upgrade, it works fine as a phone. Most of my problems come from cell to cell calls to people who aren't on BBs. For the last few days I've been carrying around my daughters Samsung cell (no data) and I expected to see better reception, volume, stability, etc. than on my BB, but the opposite is true.

Like everyone else, I begin to feel the Christmas noose begin to tighten on the eve of each new "Blackberry Killer" launch, and for a day or two, reading gushing reviews from enthusiasts, I briefly waiver in my loyalty to my BB. But then the small but-fors in the reviews start to pile up, and then you see the thing in actual operation and you realize that it ain't just RIM getting a head-start, its a design advantage that makes BB a lifestyle.

The Q seems to require too many scrolls and too many damn pull-downs. That D/track-pad sort of thing is not something you can do well, at that miniaturized size, on the move and under pressure. Is there anything more maddening than missing your pull-down by one, time-after-time? But I like pretty pictures and sounds, and I have passing regret now and then that we sacrifice media capability for stability and security. I can and do play music on my pc, and it would be nice to have that on my BB as a sort of chocolate-dipped cherry on the sundae. Even RIM is antsy about Q as I read an interview of a RIM exec the other day who was unusually forthcoming about the already built in but currently disabled audio and video codecs, just waiting there to be hatched at the next OS, should the Q catch on.

serpico
06-02-2006, 06:03 PM
It seems silly to gripe about poor phone quality from several generations ago while RIM has improved dramatically since. If you like the data side of BB, but are frustrated by the phone quality, maybe you should upgrade to a later model BB.
Ummm, a later model than the 7100t that's in my sig (which I got last year)?

whsbuss
06-02-2006, 07:34 PM
mmchper,

How about posting the link to the RIM exec interview. I'd like to read it.

smassey321
06-03-2006, 10:00 AM
I got a Q yesterday and hate it. The battery lasted 13 hours where as my 8700 still shows 4 bars (both are getting my email). It can take 5 seconds to wake up when you turn the wheel. It does not go to sleep when you put it in the leather case (accessory) so you must manually lock and unlock. And no . @<hidden> or : when typing email addresses and web URLs. It does not have Outlook "notes".

I do like the Communicator Mobile because I can be logged on at the PC and phone. It can also set a Communicator Note. Hopefully BB will eventually get that.

serpico
06-03-2006, 10:38 AM
I got a Q yesterday and hate it. The battery lasted 13 hours where as my 8700 still shows 4 bars (both are getting my email). It can take 5 seconds to wake up when you turn the wheel. It does not go to sleep when you put it in the leather case (accessory) so you must manually lock and unlock. And no . @<hidden> or : when typing email addresses and web URLs. It does not have Outlook "notes".
Qusers.com posts also point out lots of irritating little issues you'd think MOT and VZW would have ironed out in the year between announcement and release, not to mention that they have the BB as an example of features to replicate. Perhaps some of these will be resolved with first software upgrade.

How does voice quality compare to your 8700? Which network is your 8700 on?

jschofield
06-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I hear / read somewhere that the Q is lacking the ability to CUT and PASTE:-o. Is this true? Could something so simple be over looked? Sure it can be remedied with the first software update, but thats a big strike at the moment.

The grass isn't always greener.......

jschofield

serpico
06-03-2006, 11:07 AM
I hear / read somewhere that the Q is lacking the ability to CUT and PASTE:-o. Is this true? Could something so simple be over looked? Sure it can be remedied with the first software updated, but thats a big strike at the moment.

The grass isn't always greener.......

jschofield
Shocking, isn't it? And yes, it is 2006. Apparently this is a limitation on the current version of the Smartphone edition of Windows Mobile. One can only hope that MS upgrades the OS to be able to handle this. The irony is that many of the shortcomings of Windows Mobile stem from it being too pc-like for a phone (as compared to BB's very simple and easy to use OS), yet it cannot do the most basic of functions like cut & paste.

mriff
06-03-2006, 12:16 PM
This is out the article in the link that I posted a couple days ago from cnn:

"The Q improves on that experience, but like the other smartphones, lacks a basic text-editing feature: cut and paste. It's a strange omission that for me severely limits the usefulness of the Q as an e-mail device. The BlackBerry, which has a similar button layout, does cut and paste."

apple85
06-03-2006, 03:35 PM
I am getting a Q so i can stream my sling box to it :)

smassey321
06-03-2006, 09:13 PM
How does voice quality compare to your 8700? Which network is your 8700 on?

On my end calls sound the same. On the other end the person I called said the Q sounded slightly better. The 8700 (w/ Telstra) is on Cingular blue. They say BT headset is slightly louder and clearer on the Q but I have not tested.

Oh and one more deal breaker, only the root contacts folder syncs. We were out tonight and could not call someone who was in an Outlook sub folder. So i then try to load Outlook Web (to get the #) on the Q and it can't load frames!!!! GRRRRRR.

Srini
06-04-2006, 01:16 AM
Is there a GSM version coming for the Q?

hnsimpson
06-04-2006, 09:58 AM
I have had my 'Q' for 2 days now. I ordered it the night it came out. My Blackberry is a 7100T that I have used for over 1 year.

The Q is not close to being equivalent to the Blackberry in any way. I waited to form an opinion on this, hoping to get through the initial phases of phone ownership. (anticipation, euphoria, confusion, revelation, acceptance)

With my Blackberry (the 7100 was my first) I was blown away at the design of th OS. The SIMPLE yet effective use of minimal input to achieve predictable results is indicative of a design team that knows what its end-users need and want.

First and foremost the Q is designed to be a really 'cool' looking device. When Motorola designed the Razr line it made conscious decisions to provide form over function. It is sucessful in this, however the OS that they have put into to the Q is lacking. Do a quick search over at qusers.com and you can get a full list.

I am going to keep the Q for now. Not because it is a superior device to my Blackberry, but because of the Verizon network. My wife and extended family, as well as most of my friends are in-network. Plus, I have a new son and have enjoyed the camera.

-Simpson

P.S. I am sure I will be coming back to Blackberry. Probably when they get a camera, or when I get so pissed at Windows Mobile that I have to replace it.

serpico
06-04-2006, 10:07 AM
I have had my 'Q' for 2 days now. I ordered it the night it came out. My Blackberry is a 7100T that I have used for over 1 year.
Thanks for the feedback. Not surprising to hear that MS did not even come close to matching the BB OS in terms of simplicity and efficiency. After all, these are not traits we've come to expect from any MS product.

How does voice on Q/VZW compare to 7100/TMO, particularly on your caller's end?

Zro
06-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Ummm, a later model than the 7100t that's in my sig (which I got last year)?

Most people tend to compare 7230/80's with brand new phones like the RAZR, so that's possibly where that comment came from. Most people don't realize just how fast technology changes in the cell phone world...a phone that is released this month can be, but shouldn't be compared with a phone that is released next month as far as technology is concerned.

That being said, the 7100 is almost 2 years old...the 7105 improves on phone quality, and the 8700 improves it even more.

I've used all three on Rogers (way up here in Canadia) without bluetooth headsets, and have found noticable improvements on all three.

So there's my $0.02CDN worth for you.

Zro

serpico
06-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Most people tend to compare 7230/80's with brand new phones like the RAZR, so that's possibly where that comment came from. Most people don't realize just how fast technology changes in the cell phone world...a phone that is released this month can be, but shouldn't be compared with a phone that is released next month as far as technology is concerned.

That being said, the 7100 is almost 2 years old...the 7105 improves on phone quality, and the 8700 improves it even more.

I've used all three on Rogers (way up here in Canadia) without bluetooth headsets, and have found noticable improvements on all three.

So there's my $0.02CDN worth for you.

Zro
Appreciate your $0.02CDN, especially since it's worth a lot more today than it was a few years ago.
Yes, technology changes quickly in this area, but surprisingly, comparing my 7100 to my 8-yr old Startac on voice would be very unfavorable for the 7100 (of course this also incorporates any GSM (7100) vs CDMA differential (Startac)).

mmcpher
06-04-2006, 12:34 PM
I can't find the exact article, but here is another along those lines. Nothing we didn't know already, but RIM seems to be less coy about it then previously. IIRC, the article I mentioned had some characterization by the reporter of RIM's near-term intentions that didn't quite match the quotes:

Technology News »

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 30 May 2006 1221 hrs

Wheels in motion to bake multimedia features into Blackberry devices
By Trevor Tan, TODAY

Mobile professionals who choose to use a BlackBerry handset for the fabulous convenience of its push-email service probably look in envy to the person next door wielding a mobile phone packed with an arsenal of multimedia features. But fret not. Research in Motion (RIM), the company behind BlackBerry devices and services, has good news for you.

In an interview with TODAY at the Wireless Enterprise Symposium 2006 in Florida, RIM's president and co-chief executive officer, Mr Mike Lazaridis, revealed that multimedia features would be incorporated into future BlackBerry handsets.

Some of these features will include expandable memory, WiFi and global positioning system capabilities. There could even be a BlackBerry with a built-in camera. Future models will also come in more compact designs.

"We have been watching users getting rid of their cell phones and using the BlackBerry for everything. So, we now have to give them some features that they might have given up when they got rid of their cell phones," said Mr Lazaridis, 45. However, he did not give any timelines as to when these handsets would be available.

Some multimedia features, such as audio and video codecs, are already available in Intel-based BlackBerry handsets (the 8700 series). Mr Lazaridis said that RIM "never enabled" them so as to ensure the high level of "reliability and stability" demanded by their enterprise customers.

When RIM releases BlackBerry software version 4.2, it will enable these latent features in "new handsets and it will be backward-compatible with all its Intel-based products", said Mr Lazaridis.

Despite facing competition from other vendors who offer push-email services, Mr Lazaridis is adamant that RIM is in the lead. "Hype is not matching reality," he said.

He cited statistics from Gartner that re-affirmed RIM as the personal digital assistant market leader (in terms of unit shipments) in the first quarter of the year, with a market share of 25.5 per cent. In second place was Palm (12.6 per cent), while HP stood at third place with 11.5 per cent.

BlackBerry's robust security system is a key factor that separates the device from other competitors, he added.

"Security was designed from the very beginning when we wrote the operating system," Mr Lazaridis said. Because of that, RIM could "secure your network and your data, in flight and hand-held" like no other vendor could.

In regards to the regional market, Mr Norm Lo, RIM's Asia-Pacific vice-president, said that RIM sees huge opportunity and potential in the region — not only in terms of population but also because of the high penetration of mobile wireless communication that is in place.

"We are doing very well in Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia and India," Mr Lo, 43, said.

But RIM is not resting on its laurels. It is focused on growing the Asia-Pacific market in terms of adding new carriers, working with new partners in launching products and solutions and entering new markets such as South Korea and Japan.

"We are going to add more than 10 more carriers in the Asia-Pacific this year," Mr Lo said, adding that RIM is "working closely with partners right now with testing and trials being conducted in various countries in the Asia-Pacific". - TODAY/fa

Copyright © 2006 MCN International Pte Ltd

whsbuss
06-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the article. Sounds promising.

backbeat
06-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Has anyone investigated whether the Q can be had with only a Voice plan? According to Verizon's site, the only plan references are combined voice/data, which would be overkill for my needs. The keyboard would only be used as a notetaking input method, scheduling, etc and then desktop syncing, as a backup to my 8700g.. Has anyone pursued this?

hnsimpson
06-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Has anyone investigated whether the Q can be had with only a Voice plan? According to Verizon's site, the only plan references are combined voice/data, which would be overkill for my needs. The keyboard would only be used as a notetaking input method, scheduling, etc and then desktop syncing, as a backup to my 8700g.. Has anyone pursued this?

You can get it with a voice-only plan, but you do not get the $100 disount. You can get a mini-SD Wi-Fi card instead (approx $125 I believe).

-Simpson

hnsimpson
06-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Not surprising to hear that MS did not even come close to matching the BB OS in terms of simplicity and efficiency. After all, these are not traits we've come to expect from any MS product.

How does voice on Q/VZW compare to 7100/TMO, particularly on your caller's end?

From my short-term experience, the Q (on CDMA) blows the doors off of the 7100T (on T-Mobile) on both ends.

-Simpson

BTW- I have NO experience with the 8700. I was hoping that Verizon would bring out its version sooner.

jeffharris
06-04-2006, 07:05 PM
I am getting a Q so i can stream my sling box to it :)

Slingbox mobile is only for WM5 Pocket PC version. You can't do it (yet) on the Q. Sorry.

lgreenberg
06-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Slingbox mobile is only for WM5 Pocket PC version. You can't do it (yet) on the Q. Sorry.

Guess you haven't seen this (http://www.mobileburn.com/gallery.jsp?Id=2382).

backbeat
06-04-2006, 07:34 PM
You can get it with a voice-only plan, but you do not get the $100 disount. You can get a mini-SD Wi-Fi card instead (approx $125 I believe).

-Simpson

Thanks. I'll still get the $100 off thanks to the merit program, however.

As to your other reply about voice quality, do you feel the Q is that superior in audio quality for both the Q-user and for transmission quality for the party at the other end? The other party's perception is very important if this thing is to be considered for biz use.

serpico
06-04-2006, 10:32 PM
From my short-term experience, the Q (on CDMA) blows the doors off of the 7100T (on T-Mobile) on both ends.
Thanks for the colorful and unambiguous feedback! I wonder how much of the improvement is attributable to the phone and how much to the network. Guess I'll know if/when MOT releases a GSM Q.

hnsimpson
06-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks. I'll still get the $100 off thanks to the merit program, however.

As to your other reply about voice quality, do you feel the Q is that superior in audio quality for both the Q-user and for transmission quality for the party at the other end? The other party's perception is very important if this thing is to be considered for biz use.

Purely anecdotal:

I have asked some of my friends and clients who I have called on the Q about the clarity. All have said either the quality was much better, or no noticeable difference.

The Bluetooth (Plantronics 510) connection was noted by the few that I polled to be much improved.

-Simpson

backbeat
06-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Purely anecdotal:

I have asked some of my friends and clients who I have called on the Q about the clarity. All have said either the quality was much better, or no noticeable difference.

The Bluetooth (Plantronics 510) connection was noted by the few that I polled to be much improved.

-Simpson

Cool! Well, I may just have to give the Q a go, at least for a trial. Tried out the 700W several months ago but had chronic probs with its DSOD issue which still remains a complete unsolved mystery for others. I have a bit of concern that its the WM5 OS at fault, which means the possibility exists for the same issue to appear in the Q. Freezing up and (especially) DSOD are more than reason enough for me to forego the Q, but I'll let my trial rest on its merits. Thanks again.

smassey321
06-05-2006, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=hnsimpson]I
I am going to keep the Q for now. Not because it is a superior device to my Blackberry, but because of the Verizon network. My wife and extended family, as well as most of my friends are in-network. Plus, I have a new son and have enjoyed the camera.

-Simpson
QUOTE]

I was going to do the same thing but the battery life is the worst ever. If I use the Q like my 8700 it is dead after 13 hours. The same use only uses 1 or 2 bars on the 8700. I charge the 8700 every 2 - 3 days. The Q can't even go out after work :).

Ominx
06-05-2006, 10:35 AM
My 7130e on Verizon has better voice quality than the LG and V710 I had. I guess its the network.

I'm actually thinking of getting the Q simply because the voice quality on my 7130e blows...at best. I'm constantly getting an echo and people on the other end always complaining that they hear background noise.

Getting email the very instant someone clicks send isn't all that important to me. I can wait a minute or two. Hell, I can even wait the 15 mins some are reporting for pop3 polling.

The one and only issue that is holding me back from pulling the trigger is the interface lag some users are reporting. I despise slow interfaces. Even if it's a 1/2 a second, it just downright annoys me. Reviews are saying it's a minute lag, but how minute is the question. I'm guessing it's because WM never actually closes out an app. I know there are third party apps that will allow you to actually exit an app if you choose, so there may be a fix if that is indeed the problem.

I'm rambling now...anyway I just want to know from actual users if you feel the interface is snappy enough? I might just have to go down to the store and make my own judgement, but in the mean time what do you guys think?

mmcpher
06-05-2006, 11:18 AM
I held a Q in my hands this weekend, and it was fantastically lightweight. To a fault, really, as the unit had a plastic and non-sturdy feel to it. I wasn't crazy about the keypad, trackwheel either, but that also seems related to the wieght and thin-ness. I guess this is just personal preference, because the Q is supposed to be ultra-thin and featherweight and it impressively delivers.

junior1790
06-05-2006, 03:28 PM
My love affair has come to grinding hault with the Q, really disapointing because the form factor is second to none. seeing as though they squeezed a trackwheel and a back button into such a small space, would be easy to assume that Rim could/should/would be able to do the same? Q is to quirky for me and i just dont have the patience to wait for 5 software upgrades and 3 service packs before it works right!!!!(n)

apple85
06-05-2006, 03:57 PM
I think it was said best at the Q users forum. "People are expecting to much from the Q, first and foremost it is a Phone with a full keyboard and second it's a PDA, the phone is superior and the PDA functions are OK." and today when i went to the local store to try and purchase mine myself the rep and 2 others agreed there is NEVER going to be a perfect device. Some devices get closer than others, some further but in the end it is just a device. I mean look at Treo's and their prices and you get crap there... (used to be a former treo user)

serpico
06-05-2006, 09:47 PM
the rep and 2 others agreed there is NEVER going to be a perfect device.
Isn't that true of any product market? Except maybe laptops, where Thinkpads rule! Joking, just taking a shot at your Powerbook.

The point is not to find a perfect device, but to find one whose strengths best match your highest priority uses for the device and whose weaknesses correspond to your lowest priority uses for the device.

This thread has been helpful to BB users who are considering the Q for a variety of reasons.

apple85
06-06-2006, 12:41 AM
my pb does rule all

Colione
06-06-2006, 01:00 AM
I bought the Q today.

After 1 hour of using it I decided to return it for an 8700g.

The OS seems like there wasn't too much thought put into it. Also, the Q really copies the physical functions of a BB ... where if they wanted to score they should of bit more ideas from the OS.

I was hoping it would function just as well as my 7100v. Not even close.

.... so over to Tmobile!

apple85
06-06-2006, 01:13 AM
honestly my fuss with my 8700g it feels cheap! I personally feel the Q feels like a more sturdy device, the keyboard/keys don't slide they are larger, the battery doors don't slip and slide and many other things that i honestly hate about my blackberry... now software wise I have no complaints just hardware!

mmcpher
06-07-2006, 12:37 PM
The Q's combination of trackwheel, keypad, backwheel, D-pad, plus assorted other buttons brought me, in short order, to a greater appreciation for the limitations of the 8700g. Its not that I can't figure out how to work the Q, but it seems too clever by half, cluttered up with pull-downs etc. KISS.

serpico
06-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Walter Mossberg's column in the WSJ today reviewed the Q. Like many people, he liked the hardware, but not the software - he found it took multiple steps to do tasks that should be easier. People have been saying this about MS' mobile OS since the days of the original Palm Pilot; this is almost a decade ago. When will MS finally get it?

hnsimpson
06-08-2006, 08:22 AM
When will MS finally get it?

I think MS will change only when someone pushes an OS that is competitive, both functionally (like Blackberry's) and in proliferation (like Palm).

I may be ignorant on the facts (and if I am I hope to be corrected) but why won't Blackberry license their OS to other manufacturers? I understand wanting to control the manufacturing market, but we are into the 4th or 5th generation of Blackberrys...it reminds me of the Apple business model versus the PC.

-Simpson

strobate
06-08-2006, 09:33 AM
One of the selling points of BB is it's an end-to-end solution. Third parties can install BlackBerry connect, as Palm and Nokia have done.

jnyost
06-08-2006, 09:59 PM
I absolutely love the voice quality on my 7130e. It is by far one of the best phones I've ever had. Like I said.... Phone.... My biggest complaints are the battery life and the pda functionality. The BB sucks bad when it comes to PDA functionality. I also carry a 7250 for work for our email and corporate applications. I hate it. I'd take the 7130 over the 7250 any day. I only use my 7130 as a phone, pda, browsing, and tethering. If I can find a device that offers a better pda side while still offering good voice, I'll throw my 7130 in a drawer. While the Q has caught my eye, I don't think it will give me what I want. I've come so close to adding a PDA to my collection just to try and bring a little more organiztion back to my life. Maybe I'll try the 700p.

If you go over to qusers.com you will probably find some helpful info there, just keep in mind that it's such a new device and those people there have been salivationg for them for almost a year, they are a little biased....

The same can be said of here. People here think the BB is the greatest thing since slice bread. They think the Treo and all others are crap. Truth be told, there are millions who also think BBs are crap.

There's my rant. Like an earlier user stated, there is no perfect device. I don't see a single device in my near future.

Jared

arche3
06-08-2006, 10:15 PM
I will be using a "Q" "goodlinked" for a couple weeks starting tomorrow. See how it stacks up to my 8700c. If it is comparable I will ditch the berry till the 3G (UMTS) GSM berries come out. I have to admit, after a day of EVDO browsing on the "Q" the thing is growing on me.

Roger

junior1790
06-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Don't be fooled, it's weak at best...

serpico
06-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Why, because it's not instant email?

hcheun
06-09-2006, 04:35 AM
Why, because it's not instant email?

No because Junior is right.. It's week because of winblows mobile ;-) hahaha

but seriously, i've tried it out, it's great, but like all the other BB users who tried it, the god damn thing is not thumb scroll friendly, think trying to hold a 2 Liter bottle in one hand, and trying to scroll something that doesn't work half the time.

Plus when i was testing it out, it crashed.

Go figure. Otherwise, it is great for those who want evdo and Vcast, but even the typing can't compare to a Crackberry!

junior1790
06-09-2006, 08:32 AM
I dont mean to be vague, just scroll up a couple of post's and I substantiate my rant's. I gave it a legit TRY but IMHO it cant compare...

JamesR
06-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I may be ignorant on the facts (and if I am I hope to be corrected) but why won't Blackberry license their OS to other manufacturers? I understand wanting to control the manufacturing market, but we are into the 4th or 5th generation of Blackberrys...it reminds me of the Apple business model versus the PC.

RIM is willing to license their OS to other manufacturers. The issue, as always, is price.

serpico
06-10-2006, 01:01 PM
I dont mean to be vague, just scroll up a couple of post's and I substantiate my rant's. I gave it a legit TRY but IMHO it cant compare...
Got it; agree that you gave the Q a fair try. I thought you were specifically referring to Goodlink on the Q.

jlinca
06-16-2006, 05:41 PM
So far, I agree with all the Q reviews around it being different but in some ways better, some ways not to my BB (7250). The one possible show stopper for me so far is that when in a call, pressing the escape key does not end the call. Worse, it leaves the call connected and takes you to the home screen where your minutes continue to tick down until you remember its not your BB. To end a call, you have to either bring your thumb down off the scroll wheel (natural position holding the phone) and wrap it to the front and press the red button (akward) OR use two hands (gasp). Did the engineers even TRY a Blackberry - this is worse than even the cut and paste issue.

I'm guessing I can edit the home screen using some third party app or find a theme with a home page set-up that is icon based so I can get to all the features using the scroll wheel - like a BB.

Haven't had the crashing issues but I've also stayed away from the media player features (figured if it causes problems, I've lived without it this long...) Batter life certainly seems to be an issue but given the quality of the screen, its not a suprise to me. The backlight comes on just about always when using the phone. If my BB did that, I'm sure the battery would be gone too. I'll find some way to improve that in "options" somewhere...

So far - I feel like I cheeted on my long time girlfriend with Jessica Simpson (y) and now we are living together(n) . Oh, and she laughs like Fran Dresher :cry: ...

SmokinV10
06-21-2006, 09:39 PM
I just switched from my Cingular 8700C to Verizon service and got a Motorola Q. The sound quality is WAY better. Like most of the reviews the BB does have some advantages. its easier to delete emails. There are no programmable (that I know if) keys. You can not use the alpha keys as speed dial buttons. The bluetooth does not seem to work as well with my car's built in system (does not display the signal strength like my BB did on the GPS screen). It does however have good voice recognition software, the phone is smaller, their desktop sychronization software seems to be almost as good as the BB desktop manager. After having a blackberry for the last 3 years, this is going to be a change, but so far it isnt as bad as everyone says it is. I actually like it.

whsbuss
06-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Another good read/review on the Q

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/22/technology/gadgets.fortune/index.htm

dlsolo
06-25-2006, 12:17 PM
I was playing around with one in Circuit City the other day and I personally think that the software/OS is slow. The graphics are vivid and all but it's just not as responsive as my 8700. Maybe it's something that a OS update would help, maybe. But it's thin, looks good, but can't see jumping off the BB wagon anytime soon. IMO