PDA

View Full Version : 7100i Return Question

RedSox911
05-17-2006, 07:38 PM
I don't think I like the 7100i very much and am considering returning it to the store. They say you have 14 days from the time of purchase, now here's my problem. Getting out of my car today I dropped the bulky bastard and it chipped a very small part of the casing on the front left side face. Will I still be able to return it to the store and go back to my old plan with my old i860?

I also purchased both the $5 insurance and the $3 other plan they offer, would this make a difference?

Thanks,

RS911

balibe
05-17-2006, 08:07 PM
I would check www.nextel.com and review their return policy. Make sure you read all the fine print.

Not sure how they will handle this as they will probally not be able to sell the phone to somone else with cosmetic damage. The insurance plans you got only cover loss & not working phones, dont think they cover cosmetic damage.

icemezzer
05-17-2006, 08:07 PM
They might give you a problem becuase of the phychical damage... Hopefully they wont notice it.

RedSox911
05-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Is it possible to contact Nextel and switch my plan back to my original plan and phone (i860) without the bb plan then sell my new 7100i privately? Will I then have to pay the $200 cancellation fee even though I'm keeping Nextel just not the BB plan?

I'm so confused here.

xbanex
05-18-2006, 09:17 AM
You can take the BB plan off with no problem. You won't have to pay termination fee.

RedSox911
05-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. I'll bring it back to the store I purchased it from and see what they tell say. Hopefully I'll be able to switch my service back to my i860 and then maybe sell the 7100i privately.

For sale: 1 practically brand new 7100i only 3 days old. Slight chip on front face. Lol.

Thanks again members.

RS911

siennaberry
05-19-2006, 12:01 AM
I am in the same predicament as you sir. I'm returning my sis's and mine because of the NEXTEL BB Data Plan mandate. I'd love to just use it as a PDA/phone, but NEXTEL won't have it. I'm 5 days in.

My sister, ahem, decided to scratch the top edge of the casing of hers in the first couple of days we had them. The NEXTEL contract says that the return policy is up to the retail location:

Customer will not be liable to Sprint for early termination if service is terminated under the applicable return policy. Information about Sprintís return policy, if applicable, will be made available to Customer at the place of sale and will become a part of this Agreement.

From what I've gathered around the forum here, the outer shell of the device isn't all that expensive ($20?). It's called refurbishment, they can do it.

RedSox911
05-20-2006, 03:55 PM
I went back to the store today to return it, didn't mention anything about the chip but just handed over the bag containing the box, charger, receipts, etc. then handed him the phone in the case. He took the phone, and put in the box then returned service to my i860 without any questions. So things worked out well.

One thing I really liked about the 7100i though was the default ringer, I can't remember what it was called but something like "classic" phone, sounds like an old telephone ringing. Would anyone know how I could get that on my i860 now?

BilltheCat
05-21-2006, 12:56 PM
ring tone maybe?

bell30012
05-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Pick a NEXTEL/Sprint location that does not have a repair technician. Bring your telephone in for repair under the repair plan. These places will take off the battery cover, antenna, battery and SIM chip and swap the unit out. I have done this with several phones such as my 730i and my 7100i.

We have three NEXTEL locations within minutes of here. Two will try to fix the phone first and almost always blame abuse or water damage. The third just swaps them right out.

k9Berry1
05-21-2006, 01:53 PM
you should be able to cancel the data plan only since all are month to month plans for the data service.

siennaberry
05-21-2006, 06:03 PM
k9berry,

Yes, this should be so, but according to NEXTEL, their computer will pick up that you have a BB and add it to your plan every billing cycle. Now, I'm sure that you can dispute this because it doesn't say anywhere in the contract that they require that you purchase a data plan if you have a BB. But who wants to fight with NEXTEL.

An interesting thing happened with me. I returned both 7100i phones (no questions asked, even on the faintly scratched one), then called NEXTEL to cancel service. I was still in the 30 day (California) no obligation period. The guy on the phone didn't want me to cancel, and when out of his way to make a data plan affordable. He dropped the 5MB plan to $20, gave me 20% off my 2200 minute plan and threw in some other goodies. I'm calling tomorrow to finalize the reshipment of the 7100i's and an i850. I'm sure I can finagle an even better deal including the unlimited plan.

My advice? If NEXTEL's trying to strongarm you into the data plan, and you're in the 14 (30 CA) day trial period, call them up to cancel and tell them the retailer did not inform you of the data requirement, and that you don't see the value in that service. It's in their best interest to lock you in for 2 years. The trial period is when they are weakest. Take advantage of it.

todt061458
05-22-2006, 01:33 AM
I will try that and see what's happens Thanks

RedSox911
05-22-2006, 09:30 AM
ring tone maybe?

Not sure if this response is directed toward me but I did check the Nextel site and wasn't able to find anything named "Classic Phone" or any standard rings for that matter. All they had was songs/ tv/ etc, etc.

Just to double check is that the correct name of the default one on the 7100i?

If anyone can point me to where I might find it I'd appreciate it.

RS

RedSox911
05-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Just to double check "Classic Phone" is that the correct name of the default ring on the 7100i?

If anyone can point me to where I might find it I'd appreciate it.

RS

Can someone confirm the default ringtone name for the 7100i?

siennaberry
06-05-2006, 02:35 PM
"Ringer_ClassicPhone"

RedSox911
06-06-2006, 02:51 AM
Thanks very much Siennaberry