PDA

View Full Version : Migrate from 8700c to 8700c

paulscan
05-18-2006, 10:26 AM
I searched and couldn't find anything, though I may have just been using the wrong keywords.

I have a BES-synchronized 8700c that I managed to drop and dent up. I now have a new one, and would like to move to the new 8700c. How do I do this without losing anything?

If I just do Enterprise Activation, won't that just move some of the stuff over?

Thanks for any help.

lgreenberg
05-18-2006, 10:29 AM
I recently received a replacement 8700c and here's what I did......

-Back up the old device.

-Restore to the new one.

-When you open desktop manager it'll ask you if you want to associate your messaging with the PIN for the new device. Say yes and it'll do the Enterprise Activation.

Stinsonddog
05-18-2006, 10:30 AM
No you need to use Desktop Manager and do a backup. After you plug in the new one, do a restore. This will transfer settings data etc. If you want to speed all this up and don't care go to your phone log and delete all.

JerryD
05-18-2006, 10:36 AM
With the exception of any pictures you saved, native BB stuff will all come back once you do an EA. Other than sending them to other Blackberry Messenger users or setting your background to one, the are completely inaccessible.

ALSO, any emails that were/are on the old Blackberry will not migrate to the new one. The only ways I'm aware of to get them back onto the Blackberry is to:

Forward the email to yourself and it will come in on the BB (recommended)
Have your account removed from the BES and then put back on (this may loose the rest of your data)
Backup and Restore messages. HOWEVER, all messages that arrive on the BB between the completion of the backup and the completion of the restore will not be available on the BB (i.e. - your latest emails).

If you installed other apps, they will most likely either loose their data or be gone completely. Some of the app data might be able to be backed up and restored using Desktop Manager's Backup/Restore applet using the Advanced function.

If your dented 8700c is still operational, do a full backup of it, then do a selective restore (after you install the apps) and you might find some of the data.

J

paulscan
05-18-2006, 09:13 PM
I completed the transition as follows, but I'm having a big issue now...

- Backed up my old BlackBerry with the PC
- Restored to the new BlackBerry
- Did enterprise activation

Everything looked fine at first -- but I've got a bit of an issue now. Every e-mail I've received and filed over the past two weeks over Exchange/BES is now duplicated on the BlackBerry with the same or one-off time. What can I do to resolve this?