PDA

View Full Version : BES 4.1 hosting inculding AES Encryption

jchanaga
05-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Hello fellow forum members,

Does anyone know of any hosted service providers that provide:

1. Microsoft Exchange Hosting
2. Blackberry Enterprise Server 4.1
3. And only use AES encryption as part of their device Policy?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. I'm currently hosted on Intermedia.net but they only support 3DES data encryption via BES 4.0. I'm considering moving my entire workforce to another provider that supports BES 4.1 and AES encryption. 3DES is not as secure as AES and is no longer the official U.S. Government encryption standard.

Thanks!

Jaime

WMedley
05-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Hello fellow forum members,

Does anyone know of any hosted service providers that provide:

1. Microsoft Exchange Hosting
2. Blackberry Enterprise Server 4.1
3. And only use AES encryption as part of their device Policy?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. I'm currently hosted on Intermedia.net but they only support 3DES data encryption via BES 4.0. I'm considering moving my entire workforce to another provider that supports BES 4.1 and AES encryption. 3DES is not as secure as AES and is no longer the official U.S. Government encryption standard.

Thanks!

Jaime

Try contacting Internoded at 781-890-0923 They do BES/Exchange Hosting. If they do not currently have a BES 4.1 server running, they will work with you and bring one up.

phonemonkey
05-18-2006, 06:40 PM

Just wondering -- you're worried about 3DES vs AES, but not worried about having your emails, phone books, memos, etc. stored (and probably archived) on a third party's servers? That seems pretty odd to me.

If you want to have support for the old, old BlackBerries (9xx series) you have to permit 3DES and AES. The older devices can't deal with AES. So any hosting provider who still has the old handhelds supported probably will still keep 3DES.

nosidam
05-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Just wondering -- you're worried about 3DES vs AES, but not worried about having your emails, phone books, memos, etc. stored (and probably archived) on a third party's servers? That seems pretty odd to me.You know, I was wondering the same thing, but figured that I would keep my big mouth shut. Since someone else opened their big mouth, I can too.

The type of encryption is so important, but the data is on someone else's servers, you have no idea who has access to it, what they do with it, how it's backed up, how long, how, and where those backups are stored (are the back ups encrypted?), etc. ad nauseum. What gives? (more curious than anything else)

jchanaga
05-18-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm sorry for the confusion. 90% of my hosted email is PGP encrypted. The other 10% is not important (newsletters, mailing list materials, etc.).

That's why I'm not worried about emails on a hosted server.

:)

nosidam
05-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks. That makes more sense.

phonemonkey
05-19-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry for the confusion. 90% of my hosted email is PGP encrypted. The other 10% is not important (newsletters, mailing list materials, etc.)
:)

How do you read these messages on your handheld if the PGP for BlackBerry toolkit hasn't been released yet? But perhaps the non-email functions are what are most important to have on a BES for wireless sync, so this may not even matter.

jchanaga
05-19-2006, 11:22 PM
I use the wireless sync options and not worried about the PGP content...in my line of work (can't say what it is), just knowing I have to go to my laptop and VPN to retrieve the pgp message is really important. Can't wait for the PGP software for the 8700c. :)

packetknife
05-20-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm sorry for the confusion. 90% of my hosted email is PGP encrypted. The other 10% is not important (newsletters, mailing list materials, etc.).

That's why I'm not worried about emails on a hosted server.

Actually that makes less sense to me. So you've got your PGP encryped email and you're worried about 3DES versus AES? *blinks*

Either way, I know that MailStreet does ~not~ do AES by default. I always figured it'd be nice is it was a tad quicker but I have no BB metrics to backup that guess. -Pk