PDA

View Full Version : Viewing Attachments 8700c

jtdesigns
05-18-2006, 02:06 PM
what attachments can you view on a 8700 (JPEG, PDF)

I tried to send myself a few to test it out and do not see an option to view attachment. Any help out there. Please/

freebirdwil
05-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Having same general problem. I can view text attachments and images, but not Word (,doc) or PDF attachments. I have been told of dozens of apps for sale that will allow this by sending the attachment to a foreign server and then translating it and sending it in a readable format back to my BB, but I can't believe their is not some program to do the conversion right there on the BB device so sensitive business attachments don't have to float through other servers. Is it not possible to go to an FTP site where pdf's are stored and download and view them?

freebirdwil
05-21-2006, 03:14 PM
I guess either no one knows...or it just can't be done.

MGO
05-21-2006, 03:21 PM
PDF, Tif, Doc, Xls, Wpd, Jpeg are all opened on my 8700c seemlessly. You either are doing something wrong or you do (carrier) do not hve it set right.

BERDucky
05-21-2006, 03:26 PM
This is a link to a RIM article that lists all the supported types of attachments for BIS

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/270925/What_Is_-_Supported_attachments_for_BlackBerry_Internet_Service.html?nodeid=722744&vernum=0

i don't think it's completly uptodate for 2.0 though

edit: doeth - put in the right link - sorry

freebirdwil
05-21-2006, 11:48 PM
OOPs! That link was to a .pdf about some Extron Hideaway device?
I think I got it figured out though. I can open the attachments now and apparently I just <select> as much at a time as it will let me <copy> then go to MemoPad and <paste> & <save> go back <copy> more return to MemoPad & <paste> more until entire doc is now saved in MemoPad form. Correct? Hey it works though quite a lot of jumping back & forth!

freebirdwil
05-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Hmm... link works today!!

johnfromphilly
05-23-2006, 01:45 PM
I was never able to properly open pdfs on my 8700 and got Repligo. I wish it was a standard function but it is not. I could open Excel files but thye are imposible to read due to the formatting. I needed to view scanned pdfs which are not supported so I got the 3rd party app. It works great and was worth the $100for a year. I also get all of my faxes e-mailed to me and can now get them on my BB which really comes in handy as my customers still fax quite a bit.

Maybe by the time my contract with Repligo runs out this will be standard on the BB.

Dubdub
05-23-2006, 05:35 PM
what attachments can you view on a 8700 (JPEG, PDF)

I tried to send myself a few to test it out and do not see an option to view attachment. Any help out there. Please/

I have been able to view most attachments, including jpg and pdf by highlighting the attachment in the mail note, clicking the track wheel and selecting "Open Attachment" at the botton of the menu.

freebirdwil
05-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah I looked at RepliGo, it looks like just what I want but I just don't want to spend another $100 right now, especially just to "rent" the use and also having to go through their servers with all my clients private data. I am a small one-man co. with one main very demanding client. I run this thing on a shoe-string and most all of it goes to keeping up with their nuances in security, or should I say "whims"! I am hoping with all the demand that someone will develope an on-device program for doing what these companies do. Cerience, DynoPlex and several others all receive your docs, manipulate them for better viewing and send them back to you. I want a program to do those manipulations on the Blackberry, eliminating the sending of my docs to them!!! You're right though it's a great program otherwise.