PDA

View Full Version : Activate a HH via the cable if 4.0?

acf
05-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Theoretically this should be faster than wireless if you are conencted to the computer with the Outlook MAPI profile configured, etc. but any 4.0 activation won't start unless I turn on the radio/wireless. Is this by design?

Would save a lot of time if you could activate/prepopulate/synch via the network. I know manual synching is disabled for wireless enabled folders but this shouldn't apply to activation should it?

Thanks.

RemyJ
05-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Always works fine for me. In fact, we leave the radio off until it completes. Are you doing it connected via the BES or from the users desktop? If the desktop, was it installed for BES?

acf
05-19-2006, 06:54 AM
Always works fine for me. In fact, we leave the radio off until it completes. Are you doing it connected via the BES or from the users desktop? If the desktop, was it installed for BES?

Doing it from a laptop at my desk that I configure for each user's profile that I need to activate.

JerryD
05-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Theoretically this should be faster than wireless if you are connected to the computer with the Outlook MAPI profile configured, etc. but any 4.0 activation won't start unless I turn on the radio/wireless. Is this by design?

Would save a lot of time if you could activate/prepopulate/synch via the network. I know manual synching is disabled for wireless enabled folders but this shouldn't apply to activation should it?

Thanks.

I've seen both scenarios noted here, and have DEDUCED (possibly incorrectly?) the following.

If you've wiped an existing device and trying to do an Enterprise Activation wired, it will usually take because the device has been registered on the network already.

If you're working with a new device - that is brand new OR new to the PROVIDER, it needs to register with the network before it will operate properly.

On an 8700 with the Wireless ON and a decent connection, go to (the INTUITIVE???) Settings --> Options --> Advanced Options --> Host Routing Table (What the ?????), click the wheel and select REGISTER NOW.

If it's connected to a computer with Desktop Manager installed and running (with a good connection to Exchange - I like to have Outlook running in Connected mode), you should be able to go to Enterprise Activation, and see it magically start activating itself. Typically a full OTA activation will take an hour or more. Teathered like this it should take around 30 minutes.

One other thing. I have NOT confirmed this (and maybe it's my company's connection to Blackberry?), but we have found that OTA Activations are not as reliable as Wired Activations. We repeatedly see some kind of problem crop up - mostly with email, but also with appointments and contacts) that are easily resolved by deleting the Desktop[CMIME] service book, and then simply connecting to Desktop Manager as described above. A new service book is automatically pushed down to the device and the problem typically goes away.

J

acf
05-19-2006, 07:19 AM
I've seen both scenarios noted here, and have DEDUCED (possibly incorrectly?) the following.

If you've wiped an existing device and trying to do an Enterprise Activation wired, it will usually take because the device has been registered on the network already.

If you're working with a new device - that is brand new OR new to the PROVIDER, it needs to register with the network before it will operate properly.

On an 8700 with the Wireless ON and a decent connection, go to (the INTUITIVE???) Settings --> Options --> Advanced Options --> Host Routing Table (What the ?????), click the wheel and select REGISTER NOW.

If it's connected to a computer with Desktop Manager installed and running (with a good connection to Exchange - I like to have Outlook running in Connected mode), you should be able to go to Enterprise Activation, and see it magically start activating itself. Typically a full OTA activation will take an hour or more. Teathered like this it should take around 30 minutes.

One other thing. I have NOT confirmed this (and maybe it's my company's connection to Blackberry?), but we have found that OTA Activations are not as reliable as Wired Activations. We repeatedly see some kind of problem crop up - mostly with email, but also with appointments and contacts) that are easily resolved by deleting the Desktop[CMIME] service book, and then simply connecting to Desktop Manager as described above. A new service book is automatically pushed down to the device and the problem typically goes away.

J

Ok, thanks. so you're saying with a NEW device, you need to register with the wireless network first, then theoretically can turn off the radio and activate via DM?

This theory makes some sense to me since I've acvitaed in both HH scenarios and swear I've seen different activation results. Problem is I never cared much about about it until now.

JerryD
05-19-2006, 07:25 AM
Ok, thanks. so you're saying with a NEW device, you need to register with the wireless network first, then theoretically can turn off the radio and activate via DM?

This theory makes some sense to me since I've acvitaed in both HH scenarios and swear I've seen different activation results. Problem is I never cared much about about it until now.

It doesn't seem to matter whether or not the radio is on in either scenario - just that it doesn't have to be on if the phone has been registered with the network already.

Although having the radio off guarantees the Enterprise Activation will go over the wire, it appears that the Blackberry Device Manager will somehow tell the BB to use the Wired connection, and having the wireless seems to neither hamper the EA.

You can also monitor the traffic between the network and the device with the Blackberry Device Manager (new second icon that appears in the System Tray when you run DM). Double click the icon, and go to the Statistics tab, and you'll see when it connects, and the traffic between the device and the server. 8-)

J

Nishan CJ
05-19-2006, 09:34 AM

J
If your PC well connected with mail server, and to the internet, obviously HH activate via your DM. Because it wired with DM no need wireless connection. but once it get activated you need to have send the service book from the BES server. (even wireless activation also)