PDA

View Full Version : New 8700 USB Desktop Cradle is available

seidioseidio
05-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Seidio is pleased to release new 8700 USB Desktop Cradle

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/alice_snowy/BB_DSKTOP_CRADLE.jpg

Please click here for more information (http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=332)

LunkHead
05-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Awesome!!!!! I will be ordering with the quickness! :)

seidioseidio
05-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Awesome!!!!! I will be ordering with the quickness! :)

not so fast !! There are still more to come. Discount !!

Below is the discount code

Special Discount Offered from Seidio on the product

Seidio Blackberry 8700 USB desktop cradle - Blackberryforums Member Discount

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Blackberryforums Members Only and For May 18 to 5PM May 24, 2006 only.

Starting today and ending at 5:00 PM May 24, 2006, if you buy a 8700 USB desktop cradle from our web store you will be able to save 10% for each cradle when using discount code: USBCR8700

Go to our site and purchase the number of cradles that you desire. Then when you “checkout” and get to the Payment page, you will see a box asking for Discount Code, enter the code there.

This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Past purchases do not apply.

If we run out of the stock, we will still honor your purchase when the stock arrives. Only holsters purchased during this time frame are eligible.

All prices are in U.S. funds.

To order the 8700 USB cradle, click the following link.

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=332

David Chang
Seidio
dsc@<hidden>

wsw
05-18-2006, 05:01 PM
I don't get it. Where does the BB "plug" into. The USB powerews to cradle, and?

lgreenberg
05-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Holy sweetness Batman!

I'll be reviewing it soon. :smile:

nosidam
05-18-2006, 05:06 PM
I don't get it. Where does the BB "plug" into. The USB powerews to cradle, and?Look at the upper-left corner of the cradle. I sees a usb nub in there.

Ordering two right away!

dcfroe
05-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Will this work with the extended battery?

d_fisher
05-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Very cool! Now if I only had a 8700 :cry:

Pizzle
05-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Ordered!!! :)

cooperpwc
05-18-2006, 06:13 PM
It looks like it has a blue power LED. Nice product.

paulbblc
05-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Ordered! Cant wait to get it. Only wish you accepted paypal though but eh, I'll get over it.

whoscalling
05-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Holy sweetness Batman!

I'll be reviewing it soon. :smile:

This is probably wishful thinking but do you think your review will be posted before the discount time expires?:razz:

I just read they will not be shipping until the 22nd or 23rd so the review won't be possible. I guess I will have to take the dive without a review. I'll live.

lgreenberg
05-18-2006, 06:44 PM
I'll be getting one before it's released to review.

Evil One
05-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Got mine ordered. Good job!

514HH
05-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Will this work with the extended battery?

seidioseidio: any word on this?

paulmac
05-19-2006, 07:08 AM
Cool, got mine ordered, was using the cradle from my 7290, but really does not fit the 8700 and it would slide on out once in awhile. Needed a new throne for the new berry(y)

Kathy Sabine
05-19-2006, 07:24 AM
I'll admit to a stupid question, but if you can charge it with a USB cord attached to any computer, or the travel charger, why would you need the cradle?

lgreenberg
05-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Probably most importantly because it keeps the device upright which allows it to be easilly viewed while it's charging.

It also allows for a cleaner work space since the cable is nicely tucked into the back.

Is it a necessity? Certainly not. If you don't see the need simply don't buy it. But since charging cradles exist for almost every other wireless device on the market I certainly think there's a market for them.

cooperpwc
05-19-2006, 11:07 AM
I just ordered it. The Seidio swivel-clip holster is so darn good that I'm willing to put some trust in this new product.

alslsb
05-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Will it work on a 7520?

cooperpwc
05-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Will it work on a 7520?
Almost certainly not. This has been designed for the 8700 such that when you slide it in, the USB plug is exactly on level with the 8700's USB socket. (This should give it great stability in the cradle :smile:.)
It's what we have been waiting for: a custom cradle for the 8700.

dcfroe
05-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Got this in a private message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfroe
Will the new cradle work with the extended battery?

Sorry, No.

Seidio

wmt
05-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Will this work with a skinned 8700g when the skin case comes out?

seidioseidio
05-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Shipping begins today for 8700 cradle

David Chang
Seidio
dsc@<hidden>

seidioseidio
05-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Will this work with a skinned 8700g when the skin case comes out?

It will not work with a skinned 8700g.

Seidio

seidioseidio
05-23-2006, 06:43 AM
I have received many questions by emails about this cradle, so I think I also post the answers here.

- The cradle can work with 8700C, 8700G and 8700r
- It can not work with the extended battery
- It comes with

cradle
USB cable

In the back, there are two ports

- one miniUSB port which you can use the included cable to plug into your computer.
- One charging port which you can plug the travel charger onto it. The travel charger can continue to charge 8700 even the computer is turned off. The travel charger is optional. Seidio also carries that.

David Chang
Seidio
dsc@<hidden>

wibbly
05-23-2006, 07:02 AM
Probably most importantly because it keeps the device upright which allows it to be easilly viewed while it's charging.

So what we need now is a bit of 'companion software' that will make the BB screen wake-up automatically when

1. The BB is receiving external power

and

2. There's any kind of alert.

then

3. Switch to the app that's appropriate for the alert (e.g inbox)

Today, the screen only wakes up on an incoming call.

An alternate might be to have the backlight always on when the device is being charged, but this might risk draining the device faster than it's being charged!

Just silly that when tethered on a desk, you have to keep touching it to see that nice screen light up - if only to provide a desk clock!!

lgreenberg
05-23-2006, 07:04 AM
BBLight has the option to keep the screen turned on when connected to external power.

Not sure how it works with the 8700 though.

johnclevohio
05-23-2006, 09:08 AM
The only problem I see with this charger is that if you have a fortte case around your phone, it probably won't sit flush in the holder, correct?

seidioseidio
05-23-2006, 09:15 AM
The only problem I see with this charger is that if you have a fortte case around your phone, it probably won't sit flush in the holder, correct?

Hi John,

No, it is very tight fit.

David Chang
Seidio
dsc@<hidden>

rcg
05-23-2006, 10:13 AM
David, You should have notched it for the High Capacity battery... otherwise it's probably the design I would have done - Cheers.

cooperpwc
05-23-2006, 02:11 PM
PocketDay has a utilty that turns on the screen when an email comes in. That works great. It also has a utility to turn the light on when the alarm rings but that hasn't worked on my 8700.
I too would love to know if BBLight will keep the light on for the 8700 when externally powered.

devlol
05-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Can someone tell me what the use for this is? Isn't it a lot cheaper to just buy a usb cable and charge it normally?

cooperpwc
05-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Can someone tell me what the use for this is? Isn't it a lot cheaper to just buy a usb cable and charge it normally?
See lgreenberg's post at #18 above where he addresses your exact question. This product either turns your crank or it doesn't. Personally I can't wait to receive it.

cooperpwc
05-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Good news: I just installed BBLight OTA and the "on external power" feature is working perfectly. Since I haven't asked it to keep the light on when not plugged in, it still turns off after 2 minutes which is exactly the way I want it.

At night, you can just deactivate it and the light will stay off while charging.
Bring on that cradle!

kirson
05-23-2006, 05:25 PM
David,

Any way we can get a version that supports the extended battery? I would LOVE to have one of these, but am addicted to the extra juice...

Thanks,
Ian

m3elmo
05-23-2006, 05:45 PM
nice cradle. i wish a plastic cradle would come with the 8700g as it does with my former 7290 which is a less expensive phone.

whsbuss
05-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Good news: I just installed BBLight OTA and the "on external power" feature is working perfectly. Since I haven't asked it to keep the light on when not plugged in, it still turns off after 2 minutes which is exactly the way I want it.

At night, you can just deactivate it and the light will stay off while charging.
Bring on that cradle!

Please post the link to BBlight OTA.

Thanks.

cooperpwc
05-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Please post the link to BBlight OTA.

Thanks.
Here it is. Select BBLight once you get to the page:

http://blackberrytools.sourceforge.net/OverTheAir/

seidioseidio
05-24-2006, 04:54 AM
David,

Any way we can get a version that supports the extended battery? I would LOVE to have one of these, but am addicted to the extra juice...

Thanks,
Ian

We will consider this. Thank you very much for the feedbacks.

David Chang
Seidio
dsc@<hidden>

seidioseidio
05-24-2006, 05:21 AM
For this 8700 cradle, Seidio offers the following

1) USB cradle - come with the cradle and the USB cable
2) USB cradle kit - come with the cradle, USB cable and travel charger, The travel charger can be plugged onto the cradle. It can continue to charge the 8700 even the computer is turned off (like in the night). Seidio offers a special discount price for the travel charger if you purchase it togather with the cradle.

David chang
seidio
dsc@<hidden>

seidioseidio
05-24-2006, 10:12 AM
I have received many emails asking the shipping status for 8700 cradle

Shipping began on Monday (5/22). All the orders placed before 5/23 have been shipped. Orders placed on 5/23 will be shipped today.

David Chang
Seidio
dsc@<hidden>

lgreenberg
05-24-2006, 04:48 PM
My review of the Seidio USB Desktop cradle has been posted here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=36209

whsbuss
05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
My review of the Seidio USB Desktop cradle has been posted here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=36209

As always, an excellent review. Seidio has great accessories for our Blackberries. I own their 7130e swivel clip holster and I love it!

saldous
05-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Shipping to the UK?

seidioseidio
05-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Shipping to the UK?

Yes, Seidio has a distribution warehouse in Spain from where we can ship the products.

David Chang
Seidio
dsc@<hidden>

dcfroe
05-24-2006, 09:34 PM
David,

If you guys build one to fit the extended battery sign me up. I just can't do without the extended power supply.

Please let me know.

lgreenberg
05-24-2006, 10:10 PM
David told me today that they are in fact working on a version which will accomodate the extended battery.

dcfroe
05-25-2006, 07:16 AM
GREAT NEWS! I will watch this thread for an update on when it can be ordered.

Thanks lgreenberg!

paulbblc
05-26-2006, 12:29 AM
Got mine today. Little work getting it to sit in the cradle as lgreenberg's review described however after playing around with it for awhile I was able to get it. All in all I'm extremely happy with the purchase. Anyone else get theirs today?

Evil One
05-26-2006, 05:27 AM
I got mine yesterday. Very impressive. Worth the money. Too bad soon I am going to need the extended battery and will need a new one now.

seidioseidio
05-26-2006, 06:29 AM
not so fast !! There are still more to come. Discount !!

Below is the discount code

Special Discount Offered from Seidio on the product

Seidio Blackberry 8700 USB desktop cradle - Blackberryforums Member Discount

For Blackberryforums Members Only and For May 18 to 5PM May 24, 2006 only.

Starting today and ending at 5:00 PM May 24, 2006, if you buy a 8700 USB desktop cradle from our web store you will be able to save 10% for each cradle when using discount code: USBCR8700

Go to our site and purchase the number of cradles that you desire. Then when you “checkout” and get to the Payment page, you will see a box asking for Discount Code, enter the code there.

This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Past purchases do not apply.

If we run out of the stock, we will still honor your purchase when the stock arrives. Only holsters purchased during this time frame are eligible.

All prices are in U.S. funds.

To order the 8700 USB cradle, click the following link.

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=332

David Chang
Seidio
dsc@<hidden>

The discount is back !

I have received many request to extend our discount code for Seidio 8700 cradle in connection with Larry's review.

Please use the same dicount code which is USBCR8700

The discount code will expire by May 30, 2006

Thank you members for all your support.

David Chang
Seidio
dsc@<hidden>

paulmac
05-26-2006, 07:21 AM
Got mine yesterday, sorry to say very disappointed. With device in the cradle the USB connection is poor at best. Charging is intermittent, and USB connectivity to the desktop does not work. Unless you grab the thing with two hands and squeeze. Check the link that Igreenberg has for a review on the item. Many post following the review of people having similar problems. I hope Seidio will do something to help the disappointed customers. My own opinion, they should stop selling this device until the design is improved and either refund and or replace the bad ones that we already have.

amny
05-26-2006, 08:32 AM
You should have bought the real thing with the AMZER logo, as that is the only one which has Quick Charge and also will not give problems

a

Ms. Mavis
05-26-2006, 08:49 AM
I've just been using ma old 7230 cradle for ma 8700, does the job. I guess i'm just an old woman who don't like change.

lgreenberg
05-26-2006, 10:08 AM
You should have bought the real thing with the AMZER logo, as that is the only one which has Quick Charge and also will not give problems

a

Please don't spam us with utter nonsense.

The cradles are EXACTLY THE SAME. I have both in my possession. The only difference is the placement of the Amzer logo. They both have the same problem with holding the connection.

I wonder, do you work for Moftware?

paulmac
05-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Please don't spam us with utter nonsense.

The cradles are EXACTLY THE SAME. I have both in me possession. The only difference is the placement of the Amzer logo. They both have the same problem with holding the connection.

I wonder, do you work for Moftware?
Thank you Igreenberg I could not have put it any better.

seidioseidio
05-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Got mine yesterday, sorry to say very disappointed. With device in the cradle the USB connection is poor at best. Charging is intermittent, and USB connectivity to the desktop does not work. Unless you grab the thing with two hands and squeeze. Check the link that Igreenberg has for a review on the item. Many post following the review of people having similar problems. I hope Seidio will do something to help the disappointed customers. My own opinion, they should stop selling this device until the design is improved and either refund and or replace the bad ones that we already have.

Hi,

I posted this in the review thread and wanted to make sure that everyone else had a chance to see it over here as well:

Hi All,

Most posts in this thread have some validity to them. We DID test them before we made them available for sale and didn't experience these problems. They ARE manufactured by a company other than ourselves and retrospectively have not lived up to our - or your - expectations. Any who are dissatisfied with this cradle can send email to me and I will work out with you individually whatever it takes to show you that we most definitely stand behind our products. On a VERY positive front, we are working on a better solution and will have one available shortly. As a gesture of goodwill and an acknowledgement of the problems listed above, we have removed the cradle as being for sale from our website. We won't put it back up until it is the product you expect and should have received. Please email personally with any questions and/or concerns and I'll be happy to help you out.

David
davidsilver@<hidden>

seidioseidio
06-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Today we received the updated desktop cradles for 8700. They are good.
We will begin the shipment for backorder and the replacement for the previous defective ones.

We will also put it back to our store and accept the new order.

If you experienced the connection problem with the cradle in the previous batch, please contact Davidsilver for replacement

davidsilver@<hidden>
832-204-1104

Sorry for the problem and thank you so much for your patience and support.
We solved the problem as quick as we could.

David Chang
Seidio
dsc@<hidden>

dcfroe
06-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Do these new cradles work with the extended battery?

Evil One
06-07-2006, 05:47 AM
My cradle works fine just the blue light is blinding nothing a piece of black tape didnt fix though.

lgreenberg
06-07-2006, 07:07 AM
I should have the newly revised cradle in my hands to review today.

seidioseidio
06-09-2006, 08:07 AM
The discount is back for 8700 Desktop carel (updated one)

I have received many request to offer the discount code for Seidio 8700 cradle in connection with Larry's review on the update version.

Please use the same dicount code which is USBCR8700

The discount code will expire by June 16, 2006. Great gift for father day.

Thank you members for all your support and patience.

David Chang
Seidio

joneal
06-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Just ordered mine, pops always said wait for the second batch, it always tastes better. can't wait to play with it.

paulmac
06-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Got my replacement cradle today, all works fine now. Thanks to Seidio for the follow up and replacement, great customer service. (y)

joneal
06-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Ok, got my Seido 8700 cradle in the mail yesterday.

Simple to hook up (of course). It didn't slide right in, but that was nothing. It only took 2 seconds to figure out the proper angle to hold it and I removed and replaced it about 15 times throughout the day. Works great I like it a great deal and would recommend it to any other 8700 owner I know. The angle is perfect as far as I am concerned as well.

Thanks for the great product Seidio, I think I will order the holster next and see if everyone here is right about that as well.

seidioseidio
06-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Do these new cradles work with the extended battery?

Seidio will release a new desktop cradle for 8700 with standard and extended battery next week.

David Chang
Seidio
dsc@<hidden>

dcfroe
06-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Be sure to let us know here on this thread when we can order this new cradle!

I can't wait

philhu
06-29-2006, 09:35 AM
I bought 2 of these.

One for home and one for work.

One is broken, out of the box, with wierd usb device errors. You alluded to a bad batch

How do I get it replaced?

seidioseidio
06-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Be sure to let us know here on this thread when we can order this new cradle!

I can't wait

Dan,

you can order the cradle now,

David Chang
Seidio
dsc@<hidden>

seidioseidio
06-29-2006, 10:12 AM
I bought 2 of these.

One for home and one for work.

One is broken, out of the box, with wierd usb device errors. You alluded to a bad batch

How do I get it replaced?

Contact David Silver

832-204-1104
davidsilver@<hidden>

whoscalling
10-03-2006, 11:52 AM
The SEIDIO 8700 Cradle I bought doesn't work/fit my 8703e. Keep this in mind if ordering one for the 8703e

mancblade
10-04-2006, 03:31 PM
I used to use a PDA on my desktop to show my calendar all day long and after getting a 8700 I bought this cradle in the hope that this would allow me to do the same with my blackberry. However I am experiencing two problems, firstly the backlight goes off after 2 mins even when in the cradle on external power and secondly, even if I could solve that, it also locks itself after a set amount of time. How do I get it to show my calendar (lit) all day? Someone on this thread has mentioned an OTA and I have seen the link to this but have no idea how to install it, or whether I will be able to install it as I suspect the company I work for willhave put some kind of block on installing additional software. Any ideas please?

flash24
10-04-2006, 03:40 PM
it looks great