PDA

View Full Version : 8700c unlocked - DOES IT WORK WITH T-MOBILE??

jasonsto25
05-18-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure if this topic has been covered yet.....I'm tryin to find an 8700 for my friend who currently has service with T-mobile. I found a great deal on a brand new 8700c however, it it presently locked to cingular. My question is if i get the phone unlocked and put in a t-mobile chip in, will the blackberry operate normally?

WOULD BES AND INTERNET WORK NORMALLY???
are there settings that i would need to imput manually?
Has this been done before sucessfully?

I appreciate any imput you guys can give! THANKS!!!

lgreenberg
05-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Yes.

saa001
05-18-2006, 05:53 PM
I just recently (a little over a week ago) did just that. I unlocked my 8700c and got T Mobile service.

When I signed up, they said that I would have to call customer service and get some settings changed. Instead I downloaded the T Mobile software and installed it on my phone and now it is T Mbile phone (acts just like a 8700g).

You can find the instructions on this forum for updateing the software to T Mobile software. Takes about 20 minutes or so.

Works perfectly on T Mobile, and in fact works better than it did on Cingular (it gets my Yahoo email almost immediately).

It is worth flashing the new software.

jasonsto25
05-18-2006, 06:06 PM
perfect sounds good! edge works flawlessly as well?
whats the best way to go about unlocking the phone? ebay? mom and pop store?

d_fisher
05-18-2006, 06:10 PM
whats the best way to go about unlocking the phone? Searching the forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/search.php).

darmac
05-18-2006, 06:13 PM
I recently bought an unlocked8700c to use on Tmo. All did was insert my sim card and the phone portion worked. I then went to my tmobile.com and updated my PIN and imei. It wouldn't let me put in the IMEI because it was a cingular IMEI. So i called Tmo Cust service and they had to manually input it into the system---as soon as they did that every thing worked great. I am still using the cingular software that was on the phone when i bought it and everything works flawlessly. I even have EDGE service.

Hope this helps...

trustworthy
05-19-2006, 03:51 AM
I recently bought an unlocked8700c to use on Tmo. All did was insert my sim card and the phone portion worked. I then went to my tmobile.com and updated my PIN and imei. It wouldn't let me put in the IMEI because it was a cingular IMEI. So i called Tmo Cust service and they had to manually input it into the system---as soon as they did that every thing worked great. I am still using the cingular software that was on the phone when i bought it and everything works flawlessly. I even have EDGE service.

Hope this helps...

I'm thinking of doing the same as I have an unlocked 8700c. Are you happy with T-Mobile service?

darmac
05-19-2006, 07:35 PM
I am a traveling sales rep and travel throughout the state of michigan. While i find that Tmo doesn't have the coverage that other carriers have in my state, the price is by far the best. The blackberry service is outstanding, and even though Tmobile says edge shouldn't work where i am at, it works flawlessly. It is much faster then the GPRS.

Big picture is yes i am happy with Tmobile service. Oh yeah and when i call a customer serivce rep i actually can understand what they are saying! (not foreighn)(y)

trustworthy
05-19-2006, 07:37 PM
I am a traveling sales rep and travel throughout the state of michigan. While i find that Tmo doesn't have the coverage that other carriers have in my state, the price is by far the best. The blackberry service is outstanding, and even though Tmobile says edge shouldn't work where i am at, it works flawlessly. It is much faster then the GPRS.

Big picture is yes i am happy with Tmobile service. Oh yeah and when i call a customer serivce rep i actually can understand what they are saying! (not foreighn)(y)

Thank you darmac. That's helpful.

cellphonemania
05-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Now a good question is if I get the 8700g or 8700c unlocked, will it work normally on FIDO service?

mymitsu3kgt
05-19-2006, 11:32 PM
If they are all GSM 1900/850 networks, it should work fine. The 8700 is a quad band phone so it will cover GSM networks with 850, 900, 1800, 1900 Mhz frequencies.