PDA

View Full Version : Charging not required while connected to Desktop

olivergracias
05-19-2006, 01:59 AM
Hi, i am a new BB user.
Since i have a new handheld i need to charge-discharge the battery for a few times in order to maximise battery life.
However when i connect my BB 8700g to my office computer thru USB it charges the battery.

Is there any way to stop charging while the BB is connected thru USB to office PC ??

Kindly advise

Liv
05-19-2006, 02:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I am pretty sure this is not possible to change. I cannot think of any cables out there that allows just syncing and charging. Perhaps run some apps in the background and change settings for screen not to turn off?

paulmac
05-19-2006, 06:28 AM
Hi, i am a new BB user.
Since i have a new handheld i need to charge-discharge the battery for a few times in order to maximise battery life.
However when i connect my BB 8700g to my office computer thru USB it charges the battery.

Is there any way to stop charging while the BB is connected thru USB to office PC ??

Kindly advise

Not that I know off, why not just let the Berry synch, and once done unplug the USB cable that way it only charges for the couple of mnutes or less that it synchs. After that no need to keep it hooked up until you cycle the battery a few times.

Wizeguy
05-19-2006, 06:33 AM
I dont believe there is a way round the cable/charge.. however if you set up a bluetooth pair between your device and machine it would sync and not charge..

JerryD
05-19-2006, 06:46 AM
Hi, i am a new BB user.

Kindly advise
First, if your goal is to drain the battery, why are you connecting it to your computer? If you really want to drain your battery, set everything to VIBRATE and send yourself a ton of emails (LOL)!

If you want to stop a BB from charging when connected to a computer, disable the device in Device Manager. Of course then you can't sync, and what's the point of having it connected?

Finally, from http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kimkomando/2005-08-07-battery-life_x.htm

Lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries typically arrive in a partially charged state. Most manufacturers will tell you to completely charge them before use. Otherwise, they don't need to be conditioned.

I found that with a Google search of:
Lithium Ion Battery Conditioning

Admittedly, the first hit on the search turned up a page that contradicted this, but that page was for several types of batteries and didn't indicate which battery type required conditioning. It's also been my experience - not only with Blackberries, but also with Notebook computers, that Lithium Ion batteries don't need conditioning.

J

cooperpwc
05-19-2006, 12:25 PM
It's also been my experience - not only with Blackberries, but also with Notebook computers, that Lithium Ion batteries don't need conditioning.J
I quite agree. People are treating Lithium Ion batteries like they're Nicads. The technology is completely different. There is information out there that suggests that deep-discharging Lithium Ion batteries isn't even a good idea.