PDA

View Full Version : Free BlackBerry from Cingular and RIM - Too good to be true?

ld-runner
05-19-2006, 02:47 PM
I use the BES Express server that RIM gives away. I just received an email from RIM stating that they want to mail me a FREE 8700c. As a side note, they gave me a link on where to buy CALS for my new device. I guess RIM is going to make money by selling $99 CALs for $300 phones. lmao.

jungleland
05-19-2006, 02:49 PM
I use the BES Express server that RIM gives away. I just received an email from RIM stating that they want to mail me a FREE 8700c. As a side note, they gave me a link on where to buy CALS for my new device. I guess RIM is going to make money by selling $99 CALs for $300 phones. lmao.

wait...they just picked you at random to give you a free 8700c?

ld-runner
05-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Here is what the email said...

Thank you for downloading the BlackBerry Enterprise Server ™v4.1 Express. As one of the first 500 registrants, who indicated Cingular as their preferred carrier, Cingular and BlackBerry® are pleased to offer you the opportunity to further extend your experience of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server integration with BlackBerry wireless devices. You have been chosen to receive a BlackBerry 8700c Wireless Handheld™ for you or one of your associates -- all at no charge!*

jungleland
05-19-2006, 02:52 PM

Thank you for downloading the BlackBerry Enterprise Server ™v4.1 Express. As one of the first 500 registrants, who indicated Cingular as their preferred carrier, Cingular and BlackBerry® are pleased to offer you the opportunity to further extend your experience of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server integration with BlackBerry wireless devices. You have been chosen to receive a BlackBerry 8700c Wireless Handheld™ for you or one of your associates -- all at no charge!*

FUC#!!! That's cool

ld-runner
05-19-2006, 02:55 PM
i have to give thanks to this forum. I would have never have known about BES Express if not for this place. I was a P.O. away from sending RIM $1000 to buy BES for Small Business Edition. Ironic :S

mahal721
05-19-2006, 03:36 PM
that's awesome. i want an 8700c too :(

d_fisher
05-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Nice! Congrats on your good luck. Sounds like you need to play the lottery.

jschofield
05-19-2006, 04:38 PM
:razz: I just received the following email and was wondering if anyone else has received anything similar. I filled it out and sent it off in a hurry but am a little skeptical, even though the header shows the sender as 'BlackBerry@<hidden>'. I'll report back when/if it comes in.

Special offer for BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express Users

This offer expires May 27, 2006 and limited quantities** are available. So register today to pass along the BlackBerry experience! BlackBerry -- keeping you connected to your business and customers no matter where your life takes you.

Regards,

The BlackBerry Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Please allow 5 business days for delivery of devices.

**Device must be activated on a Cingular voice/data plan of your choice by June 2, 2006.

-Quantities are limited. Offer good while supplies last. Offer good only in U.S. Offer is not transferable and is limited to one per person. BlackBerry reserves the right to change/cancel program at any time.

jschofield

lgreenberg
05-19-2006, 04:40 PM
<Dupe threads merged>

sm1th
05-19-2006, 07:51 PM
I have a free 8700g, from O2 UK, on a (kind of) expensive contract. But it's not that bad, really.

geek_riot
05-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I got an email to. Hope it's legitimate!

headtailgrep
05-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Looks good to me -- i had no such offer from Rogers -- CHEAP BASTARDS!!!

tlewsadder
05-20-2006, 12:13 AM
i got the same email.

i need a little help though... when i got followed the link in the email it took me to a form that asked me for various info but most importantly ....

BES Express Edition Order Number (This number was provided in your Express Edition registration download confirm

i may be totally out to lunch but i thought the software was going to be mailed to me. am i wrong? i didnt get a code, atleast not that i am aware of. i want to figure this out before it is too late.

also i was wondering about the conditions of the free blackberry, it says that it has to be activated thru cingular by a certain date. does this mean starting a new contract or can i use it with a account that i currently have for one of my employees?

thank you in advance. sorry for being a dumb*ss.

toby

aau007
05-20-2006, 02:06 AM
does the offer also require you to buy at least one more CAL?

I wonder what would happen if you don't activate that BB on a new account.

geek_riot
05-20-2006, 08:34 AM
i may be totally out to lunch but i thought the software was going to be mailed to me. am i wrong? i didnt get a code, atleast not that i am aware of. i want to figure this out before it is too late.

The email you recieved with the download link should have the order #. Or at least thats how mine came.

tlewsadder
05-20-2006, 12:33 PM
this is exactly what mine says. i cant find another link for the actuall download.

This offer expires May 27, 2006 and limited quantities** are available. So register today to pass along the BlackBerry experience! BlackBerry -- keeping you connected to your business and customers no matter where your life takes you.

Regards,

The BlackBerry Team

**Device must be activated on a Cingular voice/data plan of your choice by June 2, 2006.

-Quantities are limited. Offer good while supplies last. Offer good only in U.S. Offer is not transferable and is limited to one per person. BlackBerry reserves the right to change/cancel program at any time.

am i totally wrong by thinking it could be in the mail?if it is..... it better be here soon. i dont want to lose out on such a great deal.

thanks in advance.
toby

koleary19067
05-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Toby

I think what Kim meant was the email that you got when you downloaded the BES. THe letter above seems like a different email that was sent out after you already downloaded the product. I least I think this is what they are saying.

aau007
05-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Anyone of you guys figure out what V/D plan you need to sign up with Cingular on? What happens if you don't? Does the free BB offer ask for any information so RIM/Cingular can go after you for the full price of the BB if you don't fulfill the offering requirement? Otherwise, I wonder what recourse RIM/Cingular has if you just take the BB to use on existing account, sell it outright or pay-to-unlock and use with other carrier.

geek_riot
05-20-2006, 03:27 PM
this is exactly what mine says. i cant find another link for the actuall download.

Regards,

The BlackBerry Team

am i totally wrong by thinking it could be in the mail?if it is..... it better be here soon. i dont want to lose out on such a great deal.

thanks in advance.
toby

This is the email I was refering to. It was sent when I requested the BES Express software:
Dear Kim S.

Thank you for purchasing RIM software.

You may pickup your software and license keys by visiting:
https://www.blackberry.com/Fulfillment/etc, etc. ect....

YOUR ORDER
Carrier Research In Motion
Order Number (your order # here) xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Order Date May 09, 2006 14:29 EDT
Address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Suite xxxx
Longview, TX
US

Product(s) Ordered

* BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express 4.1 for Microsoft Exchange

tlewsadder
05-20-2006, 11:14 PM
anyone have any idea of the conditions? do i need to start a whole new contract? the blackberry will be for one of my employees who i already have an account for. can i just upgrade her service? add blackberry package?

anyone?

thank you

toby

jschofield
05-20-2006, 11:40 PM
anyone have any idea of the conditions? do i need to start a whole new contract? the blackberry will be for one of my employees who i already have an account for. can i just upgrade her service? add blackberry package?

anyone?

thank you

toby

Good question. I'm assuming the phone will arrive with paperwork that lists out the rules and regulations on service. We'll see.

jschofield

Wavester
05-22-2006, 10:03 AM
I just noticed that email from Friday and completed the form. It does not seem to list too many restrictions. I am hoping that the five day wait period means that i will have it by Monday at the latest

RIMarkable
05-22-2006, 10:25 AM

Were there any catches to getting the free 8700c such as signing up to a 2 year contract?

Edit: If I would have read a bit more I would have seen where you have to sign up to a contract by June 2nd.

ld-runner
05-25-2006, 09:49 AM
today is May 25 and the BlackBerry 7800c arrived today via 2 day UPS. It is in brand new packaging and sealed. Will post more after i swap a sim into it.

EAndresen
05-25-2006, 04:01 PM
i got the same email but was able to get 5 free BB's. The only thing is that they all have to have an active cingular account associated with them. Filled out the info on a Thrus... and they were in the next Monday, five brand new 8700's. Very happy....

f!ver
05-25-2006, 04:38 PM
I bought a BES everything at the end was 1700 plus the new dell server...I wonder if I can swap it out because a user just bought a new 8700...I hope its still going on

tlewsadder
05-25-2006, 08:43 PM
the ups guy just dropped off my new bb about 30 minutes ago. im gonna wait until my fiance comes hme and ill try her sim in it. :-) OH HAPPY DAY !!!!!

Starkad
05-26-2006, 09:07 AM
I got the same email, and got my 8700c in the mail last night.

I haven't opened it yet, and am not sure what, exactly, I want to do with it. I read somewhere it requires new service, but there was no paperwork with it stating as such - maybe it's in the box?

WMurray
05-26-2006, 09:30 AM
When I opened mine, it contained no additional paperwork. I'm going to let one of my colleagues activate it on his existing cingular account, and see if anything is said. He currently doesn't have BB service, so I'm suspecting they're primarily interested in him activating the $44.95 BB UNL Add On