PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry 7290 ROCKS

ScOObydoo
02-18-2005, 01:04 PM
I got my 7290 today. It ROCKS.

That was all :D

(I'll post some side to side photos with a 7230 ASAP).

sempai
02-18-2005, 01:18 PM
I miss:

a) poly ringers like the 7100t
b) speakerphone (but only sometimes)

I love:

a) bright/brightest/off switch
b) still has bluetooth (thank god)
c) menu shortcuts _M_essages Ca_L_endar

Weird thing - it seems to not sort properly in Tasks.

@<hidden> should be at the top, not down with the "H"'s.

ScOObydoo
02-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Was happy to see that this device DOES get the Internet Browsing service books and Blackberry Browser, thanks T-mobile :)

aristobrat
02-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Any comments on the RF performance? Does it seem to do any better than a 7100?

ScOObydoo
02-18-2005, 06:14 PM
It seems better than my 7100t but worse than my 7230. I have a tower just down the road and I get 2 bars on the 7290. I always had full signal on the 7230.

aristobrat
02-18-2005, 06:20 PM
That's good to hear. My house is in a very weak coverage area and my work 7100t would go between 1 bar and "Searching for signal..." Or have two solid bars when it's just laying around, but jump to "Searching for signal..." when I pick it up. LOL

To be fair, most phones have problems in my house, but a few work well, so I keep hoping for a BB with great RF.

I'll "demo" a 7290 when T-Mobile releases them and see how it goes. :)

gary
02-18-2005, 07:21 PM
can anyone let me know if this will work and or if its possible ? i just got a 7290 but in remote areas its a little slow and not real ideal to use to browse internet sites. I use the 7290 for outlook and company stuff but as far as surfing and personal stuff i was thinking about buying a dell pda and linking(if possible) to my 7290 and using the BB as a modem(of sorts) reason (as well) the screen/display/processor/ram are all bigger and faster ......will this work...note, i have cingular web browsing now with the BB and they said if it works i wouldn't have to pay anymore or add another line to have a faster connection...also my company only supports the BB so this is why i got it instead of a siemans sx77 or anyother /faster pda...thanks

sempai
02-18-2005, 07:38 PM
No offense, Gary - this sounds like a real pain.

It may work, but you'd need a USB port on the PDA to drive the "modem" in the 7290.

I wouldn't bother. I'd get a GoodLink Treo 650 instead.

gary
02-18-2005, 07:42 PM
treo 650 would be ok as well but i am trying not to get another line and another internet connection ( and the monthly service fee)

Dogear
02-19-2005, 12:08 AM
I have recently purchased a Blackberry 7290 from Cingular in Costa Mesa, Calif. and the quality of may calls “sucks” Everyone I call complains that they can only hear every other word. Has anyone used this phone and been happy with the quality of the phone?

Thanks,
:(

jlopatin
02-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Was happy to see that this device DOES get the Internet Browsing service books and Blackberry Browser, thanks T-mobile :)

did you have to call them and ask for these?

My t-mobile device does not have them. I am running att v4.0 on my tmobile 7230... thanks!

ScOObydoo
02-19-2005, 08:54 AM

did you have to call them and ask for these?

My t-mobile device does not have them. I am running att v4.0 on my tmobile 7230... thanks!

You won't get it on a 7230 (I moved to the 7290 from a 7230), so I was pleasently surprised to see it appear on the 7290.

mikegold
02-19-2005, 09:06 AM
On the Blackberry browser.....I didn't get it on the 7290 until I had signed up with MyBlackberry.com

Might still be on there because of that. I know that Cingular did not include the Blackberry Browser.

ScOObydoo
02-19-2005, 10:32 AM
On the Blackberry browser.....I didn't get it on the 7290 until I had signed up with MyBlackberry.com

Might still be on there because of that. I know that Cingular did not include the Blackberry Browser.

But I also recieved the "internet browsing for BIBS" and the IPPP books, and both have T-mobile content in them, they are the same books as for the 7100 series.

I can only assume that T-mobile pushes these books to the newer devices (I got them from the BWC after "sending the internet browsing books", something that never worked on my 7230).

jlopatin
02-19-2005, 11:08 AM
i wonder if i can call them and ask about these service books... I'll try it today.

ScOObydoo
02-19-2005, 12:11 PM
i wonder if i can call them and ask about these service books... I'll try it today.

I tried, and they just told me that the IBB is unsupported on the 7230.

vietsb
02-19-2005, 12:21 PM
I have recently purchased a Blackberry 7290 from Cingular in Costa Mesa, Calif. and the quality of may calls “sucks” Everyone I call complains that they can only hear every other word. Has anyone used this phone and been happy with the quality of the phone?

Wonder if it's a Cingular issue or a 7290 issue?

Mine too is pretty bad. When I ask or callers tell me, the usual response is, "the dynamic range of your voice is better, but the background noise and drop-outs/frequency of distortion is pretty bad." My older phone they're comparing to is an AT&amp;T WS TDMA Nokia 8260 which wasn't even considered a high-performance phone.

I'm curious to see if v4.0 will do anything to improve cellular quality? My largest complaint is anytime I'm traveling in a car, using headset or not, people complain of engine/road noise no matter how much engine/road noise is actually present. Annoying...

More info:
http://forums.cingular.com/attws/board/message?board.id=rim&amp;message.id=4074
http://forums.cingular.com/attws/board/message?board.id=rim&amp;message.id=3490

jlopatin
02-19-2005, 01:23 PM

i just got off the phone with corporate PDA support... The tech I spoke with had absolutely no idea what those service books are. He said he had no idea about IPPP or bibs.

I guess I'm out of luck.

ScOObydoo
02-19-2005, 01:59 PM

i just got off the phone with corporate PDA support... The tech I spoke with had absolutely no idea what those service books are. He said he had no idea about IPPP or bibs.

I guess I'm out of luck.

You could have asked them what a PDA is and they still wouldn't know. T-mobile data support is clueless.

The servicebooks I have are:

Webclient [CMIME]
Blackberry Internet Browsing Service
IPPP for BIBS
t-zones
Email set up
WAP Push config
T-mobile USA WAP
Blackberry Browser

FWIW, these are the same servicebooks as on a 7100t.