PDA

View Full Version : What Cingular Data Plan do I choose?

ChrisLuck
05-21-2006, 12:53 AM
I have a new 8700g unlocked and working just fine with my Cingular network, however I need to get a dataplan set up to get all the features of unlimited e-mail / internet / and hooking it up to my laptop to act as a modem.

I've spoke with three CSR's and they all had no clue what to offer me. Anyone here have suggestions?

thatboiwes
05-21-2006, 02:43 AM
Get the BlackBerry unlimited data plan. It's $44.99/month.

ChrisLuck
05-21-2006, 03:27 AM
What about using my blackberry as a modem to get my laptop online though. That is part of the blackberry plan too?

ChrisLuck
05-21-2006, 03:32 AM
I also wanted to put the best GPS software I can on my blackberry and use it for that if at all possible

phillyslickster
05-21-2006, 04:23 PM
You can go to www.handango.com or other sites and look for GPS software or Google and you'll find third party applications that will fit your needs.

phillyslickster
05-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Most definitely get the BlackBerry unlimited data plan. No need to pay overage fees on the other plan that Cingular offers for $10 less.

ChrisLuck
05-21-2006, 04:58 PM
So will the Blackberry Unlimited Plan offer me the option to tether my blackberry to my laptop to get my laptop on the net as well ?

phillyslickster
05-21-2006, 05:04 PM
I've never tethered my BB to my laptop to use as a modem. I've only used the Treo 650 tethered to my laptop. Do a search on the forum and see if others have used the BB via Cingular service for tethering.

takeshi
05-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Nope. Tethering requires an additional plan that adds about $30/month IIRC.

lwatterson
05-22-2006, 09:56 AM
I currently bought a 8700c on ebay. If I add the BB unlimited plan from cingular, Will I be required to sign up for the 2year contract?

stinkyfeet
05-22-2006, 10:05 AM
I have a new 8700g unlocked and working just fine with my Cingular network, however I need to get a dataplan set up to get all the features of unlimited e-mail / internet / and hooking it up to my laptop to act as a modem.

I've spoke with three CSR's and they all had no clue what to offer me. Anyone here have suggestions?

yeah the one you want is the BB tethered plan for $74.99 with any voice plan that you choose. that gives you the unlim email, internet, and tehtering ability...what CSR's didn't know that ?

ChrisLuck
05-22-2006, 11:46 AM
the 74.99 plan..... does it allow me to use all the features on my blackberry as well (e-mail, internet on the blackberry, etc) ?

stinkyfeet
05-22-2006, 05:15 PM
the 74.99 plan..... does it allow me to use all the features on my blackberry as well (e-mail, internet on the blackberry, etc) ?

yeah thats the total plan it gives you everything....unlim internet usuage, unlim email and unlim tethering for the 74.99 with a voice plan

RemyJ
05-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Before you shell out money for the tethering plan, get the unlimited plan for $44.95 and see if tethering works. It does for most.

There's a sticky thread in the Blackberry Guides sub-forum with instructions.

stinkyfeet
05-22-2006, 09:07 PM
I tried tethering last nite my BB to my desktop but it wouldn't connect. I'm sure I installed it correctly but it wouldn't connect. I think it said I was missing the ppp something. I'm assuming it means the service book u get with the feature. If u can get it working by changing some settings plz let me know what those settings are. I might be allowed to get the tethering package my account :-(

stinkyfeet
05-22-2006, 09:12 PM
I currently bought a 8700c on ebay. If I add the BB unlimited plan from cingular, Will I be required to sign up for the 2year contract?

Na its a feature u can take it on n off your account anytime you want. Espeically since u have ur own device. The only reason u have to sign a contract is for getting a discount on a phone. U have to get the feature to get the mail in rebate so they may say u have to get the plan.

jdjleo
05-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Na its a feature u can take it on n off your account anytime you want. Espeically since u have ur own device. The only reason u have to sign a contract is for getting a discount on a phone. U have to get the feature to get the mail in rebate so they may say u have to get the plan.

I work for Cingular so i can see into the future a little bit....kinda like "The Year 2000" on Conan O'Brien but without the cool special effects and music =P

stinkyfeet
05-23-2006, 09:02 AM
I work for Cingular so i can see into the future a little bit....kinda like "The Year 2000" on Conan O'Brien but without the cool special effects and music =P

BlackBerry Connect feature is going to be included in the contract on new devices in the very near future!

Meaning if you cancel the UnlData you will incur the $175 termination fee!

Rejoice!

That's kinda hard to do because when you buy a camera phone you don't have to get the MMS package or the media package (even thru they say that sometimes). It'll prolly be like the current prices here for some phones. Keep the package for X amount of time and get back whatever.

If they did that that would be another stupid thing this company has done.

What market do you work for?

trini2dboneny
05-23-2006, 09:48 AM
I tried tethering last nite my BB to my desktop but it wouldn't connect. I'm sure I installed it correctly but it wouldn't connect. I think it said I was missing the ppp something. I'm assuming it means the service book u get with the feature. If u can get it working by changing some settings plz let me know what those settings are. I might be allowed to get the tethering package my account :-(
what service provider are u with, if it is a gsm network, make sure your carrier has isp.cingular as an apn on your account or else you won't connect properly.

stinkyfeet
05-23-2006, 09:54 AM
i have cingular service but i am not allowed to just change stuff on my account b/c it is a Demo line where the company technically owns my account now. i was gonna try the connection manager and just see if i have the ability already, but i don't. so i would have to find a backend way which was successful...i followed the steps in the blackberry guide how to set up blackberry as a modem and it worked perfectly....i even tested my bandwidth....omg i love it. thank you blackberryforums

sigmamason
05-23-2006, 10:06 AM

BlackBerry Connect feature is going to be included in the contract on new devices in the very near future!

Meaning if you cancel the UnlData you will incur the $175 termination fee!

Rejoice!

Are you saying that the Unlimited data will be forced even upon non-Blackberry users? Are they going to lower the price point to something more reasonable? $49.99 just for data is a tough pill to swallow for a small businessman or teenager or single parent household or average customer that just needs access to his/her email on a consistent basis...
If they do that, they will lose customers faster than they can blink.
Just because they are the biggest, doesn't mean they will stay there for long with that kind of thinking.
Just my humble thinking, but a more aggressive pricing structure would cause them to have more customers which would drive revenue, increase profits and allow them to invest more in the voice and data infrastructure improvements that they desparately need.
Oh and I am a Cingular customer, have been for quite a long time...

stinkyfeet
05-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Are you saying that the Unlimited data will be forced even upon non-Blackberry users? Are they going to lower the price point to something more reasonable? $49.99 just for data is a tough pill to swallow for a small businessman or teenager or single parent household or average customer that just needs access to his/her email on a consistent basis...
If they do that, they will lose customers faster than they can blink.
Just because they are the biggest, doesn't mean they will stay there for long with that kind of thinking.
Just my humble thinking, but a more aggressive pricing structure would cause them to have more customers which would drive revenue, increase profits and allow them to invest more in the voice and data infrastructure improvements that they desparately need.
Oh and I am a Cingular customer, have been for quite a long time...

what i think he meant is that for ppl who wanted to get a blackberrys would have to get the blackberry plan...again i don't see that happening because they offer different size plans for $39.99 for 5mbs etc

jdjleo
05-24-2006, 03:33 AM
We started recieving info about it, so its happening!

We offer 2 BBConnect plans in my Market Unl and 4mb. You will have to have one of them and it will be tied to your contract.

Not gonna disclose my market or any other details. Not sure that i am supposed to be sharing this info here or what the repercussions would be. Im a RSC i work in a COR Cingular store, not CARE.

i also started a new thread adressing this topic "Cingular Customers:"