PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile 8700 drops signal and stops receiving messages until wireless is toggled

yukstah
05-21-2006, 04:25 PM
We just upgraded ~25 pilot users to the new T-Mobile BB 8700. Device seems to work great except for one caveat.

The blackberry will randomly drop signal and re pick up the network but will not receive data messages until you toggle on and off the radio. Phone calls work flawless.

Iíve placed a support call with T-Mobile and they tell me itís a known issue. Our few Cingular users donít have this problem. We're located in the Boston merto area. What gives?

erasiel
05-21-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't have a solution but this exact thing has happened to me on my Tmobile 8700. New messages stop coming. Toggle wireless and new messages flow right in. It happens about once a week.

Winston S.
05-21-2006, 05:34 PM
I've had this happen also but I usually power cycle the phone. I'll try toggling the wireless next time it happens. I've only had it happen once in the month I've had my 8700g.

kd78
05-21-2006, 05:48 PM
happens to me a couple times a week as well. Not sure what the issue is. I check my browser a few times a day to make sure the data connection is working even when I have full EDGE signal (upper case)

donovan1983
05-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Have only had my 8700 for about a week and it hasn't done it yet but my MDA did it constantly, at times it was multiple times a day. It must be an issue with always-on EDGE connections since I don't remember my GPRS smartphones having a similar issue. I thought it was just a Windows issue with T-Mobile since T-Mobile seems to have lots of issues with Windows Mobile devices on their network.

spblat
05-21-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm running Telstra and this has happened a couple times in two weeks. toggling the radio had no effect, had to reboot to get my signal back.

EricaJ1074
05-21-2006, 08:50 PM
I had this problem too many times to count on other devices. Surprisingly only 3 BB's have ever given me fits like that. Both of my 7730s and my first 7100t. All others have worked flawlessly.

Stinsonddog
05-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Are you sure they are in an area with GRPS or EDGE? Tmobile has this issue when they have a weak signal since they have only of two spectrums in the US.

psyncho
05-21-2006, 09:21 PM
I haven't set up my email yet, but everytime I try the browser this happens to me. I cancel and then try again a couple times and it seems to "unblock" the connection. I really wish people in this forum weren't so emotionally invested in blackberry's as they tend to downplay these types of issues...which really hinders me because right now I'm considering returning the device for an mda and would appreciate some honesty.:-o

Stinsonddog
05-21-2006, 09:55 PM
I haven't set up my email yet, but everytime I try the browser this happens to me. I cancel and then try again a couple times and it seems to "unblock" the connection. I really wish people in this forum weren't so emotionally invested in blackberry's as they tend to downplay these types of issues...which really hinders me because right now I'm considering returning the device for an mda and would appreciate some honesty.:-o

I have had one of the early 8700c's from the launch. I rarely have this happen on Cingular and this is by far the best single device I have ever had.

duofold
05-22-2006, 06:12 AM
As the op stated, this is a glitch that T-Mobile has acknowledged (not Cingular). Full 'EDGE' status is established, but no data is received.

I've experienced this problem several times in the past several weeks. Toggling the radio didn't resolve the problem - only rebooting resolved the problem (so question of being in an EDGE area is not the issue, since I'm in the same exact area in which successful data reception using EDGE has been reestablished).