PDA

View Full Version : Finding the Cell Tower Location on the 7100i

fsager
05-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Hi everyone,
I know how to do this with a motarola phone in trace mode, but is there anyway on the Nextel 7100i to find the latitude and longitude of the cell tower the handset is currently using?

I searched for "7100i Cell Tower Location" and came up with nothing. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

d_fisher
05-21-2006, 08:39 PM
As far as I am aware, this is not possibe on a BlackBerry. If it is, I have not heard anyone mention it before.

koleary19067
05-21-2006, 08:46 PM
If it can be done. I would like to see how it works

fsager
05-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Does anyone know of a java application that might do this or some type of system call that could be writen into a java application that could aquier this information?

FireSlay
05-23-2006, 08:20 AM
It may not be quite what your looking for, but try findme.mapquest.com. It's free for 30 days and then costs $3.99/month.

There are 2 GPS Mode settings. Outside GPS Mode gives you the Lat/Long of the handset. Inside GPS Mode gives you the postal address of the closest tower.

If you login from a PC, you can see closest tower locations for the past 24 hrs.

Baylink
05-24-2006, 10:20 AM
What they want to know is the Nextel internal tower number *of the tower the phone thinks it's connected to*. That *should* be on the status screen, guys, in some as yet undiscovered "trace mode", akin to #-*-Menu-Right on the older handsets.

I, too, would like to know how to get it.

fsager
05-24-2006, 10:54 PM
what i want is the lat and lon of the tower, not the postal address or tower number. I want it's cooridnates in relation to the equator and the prime meridan/IDL.

A freind on another board wants to know how the coverage is along a specific road, and where the towers that service that road are located.

I wonder if the system log might reveal anything if I set it to display all info, close all netowrk using apps, turn off wireless, clear the log, and turn wireless back on. I guess I'll have to try it to see what comes up. Maybe I can single out a log entry that can help.

syncmaster
11-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Nextel BlackBerry support told me at one point, but I didn't get a chance to write it down, so it can be done. Its just a matter of finding out the key command to get into it, it had the same information as what was located in my Motorola i870 trace mode (via #-*-Menu-Right Arrow).

-Charlie

CKelly
12-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Press and hold the ALT key and type in E,S,C,R. It'll bring you to a Help Me! screen, press and hold ALT and type in Z,A,M,L. That will take you to Radio Engineering screen. Click in the track wheel, the 7100i's Tx Status is called Operational Info. You'll see the Carrier, Rssi, and SQE readings.