PDA

View Full Version : PROS / CONS for 8700 and the MDA

Heavy I/O
05-22-2006, 07:58 AM
I have looked around and cannot find someone compairing the two devices. I want to get the 8700g or see what Sprint will be offering in a few days OR the MDA (either t-mobile or sprint model). I "like" not love the pocket pc BUT I freaken "LOVE" my BB.......

The cruddy 7100t is leaving a bad taste in my mouth due to all the reboots, dropped calls low volume ear piece, etc, etc, etc.

Can someone compair the two. I have seen someone stream Lost on their MDA phone. I would like to know "ACTUAL" "real world" batt life on the MDA to.

Heavy8-)

nosidam
05-22-2006, 08:01 AM
What is your #1 reason for owning a connected device like the BB or the MDA? What is your NEED?

Heavy I/O
05-22-2006, 08:14 AM
I do get quotes from vendors in either word or PDF format. I run out of memory opening them up or I can't (something about formating).

I love the bigger video (I know bigger video = shorter batt life.

I love the email capacity in BB..

The bowsing seemed better on the MDA. I do quite a bit of browsing. I have unlimited data plan Thanks God for that$$$$$$

But when I use my BB in conferences it Blows monkeys..... I can get mail from with in a vault but a voice call,, lol forget it. I know my model was sad but I have used a Nextel 7250? for about 6 months and it had a lot better reception. I liked the PTT feature also.. I email a lot. I have 10 emai accounts. I keep track on all of them. I would like a bit more native and flexible Microsoft functionality but I do not want to give up my BB.. I love the typing feature and I can belt out a message as fast as anyone on that small key pad.

I hope that helped.

Heavy 8-)

crispysaturn
05-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I switched from the mda to the 8700g mainly for ease of use, push email, and one handed typing. The mda seemed a bit flimsey, and it was not easy to use on the fly. Multimedia capabilitits on the mda are far superior to the bb, but I did not need them. The battery on the mda was terrible. Using it a moderate ammount through the day resulted in charging before bed. The 8700's battery is far superior (lasting 2-3 days). If you didn't like the earpiece or ringer volume on the 7100 you deff. Won't like the mda, as it is the quietest I've ever used.

In my opinion, get yourself an 8700g. 2specially if you love the email capabilities of a bb. The mda just does not compare. Bb is in a league of its own.

crispysaturn
05-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I switched from the mda to the 8700g mainly for ease of use, push email, and one handed typing. The mda seemed a bit flimsey, and it was not easy to use on the fly. Multimedia capabilitits on the mda are far superior to the bb, but I did not need them. The battery on the mda was terrible. Using it a moderate ammount through the day resulted in charging before bed. The 8700's battery is far superior (lasting 2-3 days). If you didn't like the earpiece or ringer volume on the 7100 you deff. Won't like the mda, as it is the quietest I've ever used.

In my opinion, get yourself an 8700g. 2specially if you love the email capabilities of a bb. The mda just does not compare. Bb is in a league of its own.

Heavy I/O
05-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks. Does anyone know what Sprint has up it's sleeve? 8700 PTT or Regular 8700.

What are the CONS of the 8700g (T-mobile).

Heavy 8-)

radimus
05-22-2006, 09:39 AM
I do get quotes from vendors in either word or PDF format. I run out of memory opening them up or I can't (something about formating).

I love the bigger video (I know bigger video = shorter batt life.

I love the email capacity in BB..

The bowsing seemed better on the MDA. I do quite a bit of browsing. I have unlimited data plan Thanks God for that$$$$$$

If you must have the ability to handle those quotes your BB is choking on, and the browsing and video are important enough, then the PocketPC is what you need. Yes, the battery life isn't as good but you'll get the hang of plugging it in to charge overnight or when you're in the car. Yes, the email interface is not as intuitive as the Blackberry but you're talking about a comparison of one device designed to do one thing very well and another designed to be a jack-of-all-trades. You're going to have compromises.

remoteshoppe
05-22-2006, 09:43 AM
I switched from the Sprint PPC6700 to the 8700g and the primary reason for the hange was the abyssmal battery life of the PPC. I left the office at 5:30 with a full charge and if I kept the MS Push Email on my phone was dead by 10pm. The MDA is a bit better then the PPC6700/XV6700 but only because TMo has not updated WM5 to the new ROM with Push Email service. The BB is not even close to the level of sophistication wih html emails, attachments & multimedia BUT it works when you need it, the push email is more reliable on its worst day then MS on its best and the BB power management features are necessary if you're going to rely on the device. I also prefer the scroll wheel to stylus navigation because its much better for one-hand use. I only use two hands to type! Can't wait for BB to have a real "Today" screen.

Heavy I/O
05-22-2006, 10:11 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. The main thing is I work for more than one company and I have to make sure when all my employeers send me email that I can get it in one place. If I can't read the attachements I am boned. I love the wheel and one handed typing I just don't know how good the email is on the MDA. When I send email back out to people I have to always go in the settings and select that address as the main "send from" address. It's a pain but I have to do what I have to do.

When I buy a phone I always buy one or two extra batteries. I buy the external chargers for cheap on ebay, or I constantly change them out and charge it off of my laptop via USB. I manage. I love the BB cause I don't have to do the batt. swap as much. I used to have a Hitachi G1000 PPC phone <:razz: insert laugh here:razz: > and I was always going through batteries. The one thing I likes about it was FAST Exchange 2003 Webmail and pop mail setup. It was a lug tho'

PingGuy
05-22-2006, 10:54 AM
I've read some MDA reviews recently and it didn't do very well, especially as a phone. What you may want to do is get the SDA with a Bluetooth keyboard, that is recommended on several review sites.

Personally I love the BB but it sounds like you need Windows Mobile to address your attachment issues. Although keep in mind that the MDA can edit Office docs and the SDA can only view them. Or at least that's what the reviews made it sound like.

Jared
05-23-2006, 06:26 PM
another switcher from the MDA to the 8700g.

I initially went from a 7230 to the MDA all excited over the Exchange Sync, but to be honest, the battery life and the antenna on that badboy was horrible. Windows Mobile is way to buggy for ordinary use. I was resetting the device about every 45 minutes because it would lock up. I have even had the MDA lock in the middle of a few important phone calls.

Back to the Blackberry world I went. Just got the 8700g for myself and ordered another 8 7290's for my users.

I am getting the 7290s for free!!!

tfolks206
05-23-2006, 08:13 PM
i had an MDA but switched to the 8700g. I enjoy the keyboard on top and the service on the 8700g is millions of times better than the MDA. For programs and stuff i dont know theyre both pretty good, web browsing is about the same. although i may be switching back to the sidekick because i am an heavy AIM user and all the programs made for MDA and 8700g suck compared to the sidekick. however i do like being able to download things on the internet especially the MDA and all the features it has and of course having the miniSD card was awsome. Hopefully the Sidekick III which is coming out in august-september has some better features.

Out of 5 stars:

MDA=2.5

8700g=3.5