PDA

View Full Version : Flashing BB with different providers software

stinkyfeet
05-22-2006, 09:57 AM
I was wondering is iit possible to flash the software of my cingular BB with another providers software and still have the BB working. I have the 8700c and i know its MMS capable but cingular chose not to have that feature on there software. ??? so i wanted to change the firmware but afraid it'll stops working

d_fisher
05-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Before installing the software to the BlackBerry, delete the vendor.xml.

stinkyfeet
05-22-2006, 10:08 AM
i'm guessing thats in the modules...but lets say i get the Rogers firmware and flash it. will i have to unlock my sim and change settings or will it even work cause MMS ain't that important to me to destroy my new BB

d_fisher
05-22-2006, 10:13 AM
vendor.xml is simply a file that helps the installer determine what carrier your BlackBerry uses. Once deleted, you can load any carrier OS (still model specific) onto your BlackBerry. Unlocking the SIM is only required when trying to using the device on another carriers network.

stinkyfeet
05-22-2006, 10:16 AM
thanks...im goin to try it on one of my other phones. if it works i'll do it...now i just got to find a os that supports MMS

rcbjr
05-22-2006, 11:19 AM
You will still not be able to really use the MMS functions on Cingular, until they get the "billing problem" fixed. It's a network thing.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr