PDA

View Full Version : How to Unlock Cingular 8700c

BBDummy
05-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, or if I missed in an FAQ someplace. I STFAd, but didn't find anything on the first few pages directed to an 8700c.

I have my unlock code from Cingular; how do I use it (the e-mail they sent me had no instructions in it)?

justin.culp
05-23-2006, 08:37 AM
1 Insert Cingular SIM into device

2 Power phone on and Turn off the radio (Turn Wireless Off option) VERY IMPORTANT.

3 Select “Options”

4 Scroll down and select “SIM Card”

5 Type “MEPD”

6 Type “MEP2”

7 Enter the Unlock Code

8 Press enter

9 Reboot device. Device is now unlocked.

GOT THIS FROM http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=28598&highlight=unlock+procedure

BBDummy
05-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Thanks. That worked (it now says "Security Disabled" on the SIM card page). I just constructed my search wrong.

jdjleo
05-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, or if I missed in an FAQ someplace. I STFAd, but didn't find anything on the first few pages directed to an 8700c.

I have my unlock code from Cingular; how do I use it (the e-mail they sent me had no instructions in it)?

I was just curious, how did you recieve your unlock code from Cingular?

yankee_fan
05-23-2006, 09:23 PM

i know you didn't direct the question to me but...all i did was call cingular and told them that i was going on a trip internationally and he said that he would submit a request for me. pretty simple and i got it within 48 hrs.(y)

juwaack68
05-23-2006, 09:25 PM
i know you didn't direct the question to me but...all i did was call cingular and told them that i was going on a trip internationally and he said that he would submit a request for me. pretty simple and i got it within 48 hrs.(y)

Did you have to pay any $$ for that?

jdjleo
05-24-2006, 03:25 AM

Cool. Thats protocol. Customer in good standing for 6months, travelling overseas. Sometimes Care will hassle ya though. I was just curious if we unlocked it for ya or if you had to pay.

BBDummy
05-24-2006, 12:17 PM

I called the international care number, told them I was going out of the country, and asked for it. No hassles at all, and I had the code within 2 hours.

saitoh
05-24-2006, 02:18 PM
This doesn't work if you are former AT&T (BLUE) .... sucks (n)

yankee_fan
05-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Did you have to pay any $$ for that?

just the $100 and some change i shell out esch month for service :razz:

Blackberry_Poland
06-08-2006, 02:20 AM
I just got 8700c form Cingular Netherlands. How can I unlock it? Do you mean it would be possible over the international line?

vbaskar
06-08-2006, 10:41 AM
This is what i heard and appears to be true,

Even if Cingular gives away the code to unlock your 8700c note that the warranty is going to be VOID....

does this pose any threat ?? or is there any way you can get an manufacturer warranty post unlock say from cingular ?

rgds

Boy Genius
06-09-2006, 10:39 AM
how would the warranty be void when you unlock a phone? there is no way thats possible...dont worry about that when unlocking.

HuwSy
06-09-2006, 11:13 AM
most phones say it will void your warranty to unlock the phone but none of them ever check if you have when thers a fault. I think its just to put people off from guessing the codes and getting a new phone when they lock it up completely because they guessed wrong.

egale
06-09-2006, 11:50 AM
I just got my 8700c from Cingular. When I go to the Sim Card status screen, it already says SIM Card : Security Disabled.

Does this mean my phone is unlocked?

RemyJ
06-09-2006, 12:01 PM
I just got my 8700c from Cingular. When I go to the Sim Card status screen, it already says SIM Card : Security Disabled.

Does this mean my phone is unlocked?

No. It means the card is unlocked. Type MEPD and you'll get a list of personalization options. If it says "Network: Enabled" it's locked. If it says "Network: Disabled" it's unlocked.

DallasFlier
06-09-2006, 12:17 PM
No. It means the card is unlocked. Type MEPD and you'll get a list of personalization options. If it says "Network: Enabled" it's locked. If it says "Network: Disabled" it's unlocked.
Hmmm... and what if it says neither of those? When I do that, mine says "Network: Active" (even with wireless turned off.) When I scroll down to that line and click the trackwheel, one of the options is "Enable Security" so I'm wondering if mine is unlocked?

egale
06-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Rats, I thought it was too good to be true! I get Network: Active.

Oh well. Thanks.

emporer_troy
06-09-2006, 02:07 PM
What, if any, are the benefits of an Unlocked phone?

egale
06-09-2006, 02:30 PM
It allows you to use the phone with another carrier.

If you leave the country and want to use the phone with another sim card/company you can. Also if you decide to switch carriers here at home, your phone will work with the other company's sim card.

With a locked 8700c, my phone will only work on Cingular.

junior1790
06-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Mainly to be able to use another carrier, say use your 8700c on t-mobile or really for traveling over seas. Most other countries use only GSM technology and to be able to buy prepaid sim cards to use cheap minutes, you have to have your phone unlocked...

Blackberry_Poland
06-10-2006, 02:51 PM
what is the international cingular number, where I can get my unlock code? Is this void for Netherlands Cingular too?

Lex Luthor
06-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Cingular is a US provider not a Netherlands provider so Cingular wouldn't unlock your BlackBerry.