PDA

View Full Version : 7250 Very Slow Internet

Esoledu
05-24-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm tethering a 7250 using the 4.1 software. I'm on the Alltel network. The setup is through the "standard modem" from Microsoft. It works well, it's just slow. Doing a modem query, I had a few "command not supported" entries. I have the lastest desktop software. There was no previous install of the old version desktop software. The browser on the BB has always been slow. Doing a speed test, it comes up at dail up speeds. I have unlimited data, but that's it. Nothing extra. Is this about a fast as it's going to go with the data only?

Is there a way to upgrade/change something remove the "command not supported" entries. Tech support is not help. I havee called several times. Most of the time they say you can't do that with the 7250. Then I tell them about downloading the 4.1 software.

Thanks,

Fkewl
05-25-2006, 09:25 AM
7250 was designed to use 1x network (dial-up speeds) but a few providers now have the highspeed EVDO network for some locations

For highspeed access you need :

ALLTEL has EVDO network ? (i don't know)
Need to be in a EVDO serviced area
Need 4.1 on the Blackberry and Desktop Manager 4.1
Need update routing list on Blackberry

Then you will have highspeed access.. if not, then dial-up speeds only.

Jase88
05-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Curious what you've got the port speed configured to?

vincentnyc
05-25-2006, 01:39 PM
7250 was designed to use 1x network (dial-up speeds) but a few providers now have the highspeed EVDO network for some locations

For highspeed access you need :

ALLTEL has EVDO network ? (i don't know)
Need to be in a EVDO serviced area
Need 4.1 on the Blackberry and Desktop Manager 4.1
Need update routing list on Blackberry

Then you will have highspeed access.. if not, then dial-up speeds only.

now the question is will he pay for for the EVDO network. my cingular provider which has high speed network call EDGE. they basically told me it will cost more. what im paying now for my unlimited blackberry data from them is $44.99/month. if i get the high speed, i think i will be paying $69.99/month

KonTiki
05-25-2006, 03:11 PM
There is no extra charge for an EVDO connection with Verizon, it is just a matter of a simple software upgrade. However if you are referring to tethering, yes Verizon will charge an additional $15 a month for that.

sotampagator
05-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Esoledu-

I'm right with you. There's nothing to do with Alltel and a 7250. We have to wait on the 8700 or 8707 and hope we have it then. The modems in these models just can't take any more data.

Esoledu
05-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Curious what you've got the port speed configured to?

The port speed is 921600. That is the highest I can select. The BB also connects at that speed. There was a program a few years ago that would "open up" the port speed to higher values. I can't seem to find anything like that now.

I wish there was a way to change that port speed to something higher. I've tried the "tweak" programs, but nothing really works.

Esoledu
05-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Esoledu-

I'm right with you. There's nothing to do with Alltel and a 7250. We have to wait on the 8700 or 8707 and hope we have it then. The modems in these models just can't take any more data.

I'm getting data rates at about 33 right now with the "toast.net" speed test. Downloads from CNet are running about 12 to 17 Kbps on average. That's about the same speed as the hotels where I stay.

I guess the dail up speed isn't that bad wheh you have nothing at all sitting around the airports!

Esoledu