PDA

View Full Version : Configuration changes before going overseas?

hayes
05-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi,

I'm leaving the country tomorrow, and I'm trying to figure out what (if any) configuration changes I need to make to my BB before I go to make sure that my phone works and that I avoid unnecessary data charges.

I'm going to remove/unforward my email accounts that are sending to my @<hidden> address, but am not going to have Cingular remove the data plan entirely like they recommended, so I have some access to sending/receiving email (if data access is available).

If I remove the APN settings under TCP, and that should prevent BBToday and other apps from retrieving data, correct? I am assuming that after I do that, the only data that my phone will utilize will be mail sent to my @<hidden> address, as long as I don't use the Cingular browser.

Thanks in advance!

[For those who are interested, I signed up for the International Roaming plan on Cingular Orange that doesn't have a monthly fee. Here are my notes about the costs associated.

Calls to/from France: $1.29/min
Calls to/from Turkey: $2.29/min
If you call your voice mail from your BB: $4.89/min (!!)
Data: $0.02/kb
If your BB is on, and someone calls you, you ignore the call, and let it go to voice mail, you will still be charged the $1.29 or $2.29/min. for the duration of the voice mail. They suggested that I keep my BB off most of the time to avoid these charges. Also, they recommended I check my BB voice mail from another phone with a calling card to avoid the exorbitant amount they charge to check your VM from your handheld. To check your VM overseas from another phone: 00 1 (your BB phone #), press * when it goes to VM.
Toll-free Cingular customer support overseas: 00 1 916 843 4685

Anybody know off the top of their head what an SMS costs from overseas? I forgot to ask them that.]

ZBB
05-26-2006, 12:54 PM
I travel frequently internationally for work, and use Cingular...

I wouldnt worry too much about data transfer -- check your last bill to see how many kb you use. I tend to use 4-5megs a month, so I count on ~1000kb per week when I travel, which is only ~$10. When I travel, I try to use the BB to only check mail, with the occasional web page for checking news.

Voice roaming is where they really get you -- my current bill has over $250 of international roaming charges. But the company pays for it...

International SMSs are a bit confusing (and my bill is right in front of me...) I have one outbound SMS in Germany for $0.50, but in India inbound SMSs werer $0.10, and outbound were $0.20...

I can't confirm from looking at my bill if I had to pay for incoming voicemail -- but I haven't noticed that previously. When I've called to check voicemail, I'm only charged at the standard rate (not double as you mention)...

Oh -- and I keep my phone on all the time when I travel...

hayes
05-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Unfortunately, I used ~50 MB of data last month, and I'm going for 10 days, so figure (50,000 / 10/30) = ~17,000 kb for 10 days = $330, which is a little more than I want to spend. If it were $10, I'd go for it. Some of that 50MB was laptop tethering, but I'm not sure how much.

wuberry
05-26-2006, 03:50 PM
The following thread might help ...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=34484