PDA

View Full Version : BBF BES FAQ - should we make one?

jibi
05-30-2006, 12:00 AM
How does everyone here feel about starting up a more enterprise-friendly FAQ thread? If done, it will be very similar to Mark's current BlackBerry FAQ thread, however it won't have all of the replies to it (i.e. - it may be closed/locked in order to keep it clean). The one thing I cannot stand (and most of you may have noticed this from other consumer-friendly threads that I've made) is for a thread to cluttered with random questions that may or may not pertain to the thread and its information.

Anyhow, just let me know. We'll let the poll sit for a few days then I'll move forward as time permits. Most content will likely come from posts made here, most likely in the form of a link to the information, or from the RIM KB. We have a lot of information in this subforum and a LOT of EXTREMELY talented and knowledgeable BES administrators across all platforms.

KonTiki
05-30-2006, 08:45 AM
jibi I am all in favor and most important I agree with you not letting it get clogged with a lot of random questions. The idea should be to keep us informed, and in a way that is easily searched and looked through, if we have questions we can always use another thread in the general forum for that pourpose. You have my vote. I do not know anything about BES and would like to be able to learn from one easily accesible source.

Like always I find your threads highly informative and extremely full of knowledge that have taught me a great deal. Please keep up the good work, I know yours is definitely a labor of love that the rest of us appreciate to no end.

jibi
05-31-2006, 12:57 AM
*bump*

...and thanks good buddy... :)

d_fisher
05-31-2006, 07:12 AM
A BES FAQ would be a great addition. I agree, keep the thread locked so only mods can make updates. New questions/answers should be started as seperate threads and can be intregrated into the FAQ later. When threads get too big they become useless (ex. some of the theme threads).

juwaack68
05-31-2006, 07:27 AM
I totally agree and think this would be a very good idea. I dutifully search before posting questions, but with all the thread-jacking that goes on I have a hard time finding answers. A 'clean' place to look would be a welcome addition!

bertiebassett
05-31-2006, 07:48 AM
Good idea guys, bring it on. Always good to have tight modding on threads like that, so please feel free to lock and update as you see fit.

jibi
06-01-2006, 12:31 AM
Doug, we'll start working on it next week or so, if that's cool with you. We'll discuss elsewhere on the particulars. I'm tied up for the rest of this week though, and if I don't have jet lag that bad on Monday, then I'll put together something at that point.

Seen my ALX thread and the deleted messages here lately? People just can't seem to read sometimes - its truly amazing. hehe.

EricaJ1074
06-01-2006, 01:08 AM
jibi I am all in favor and most important I agree with you not letting it get clogged with a lot of random questions. The idea should be to keep us informed, and in a way that is easily searched and looked through, if we have questions we can always use another thread in the general forum for that pourpose. You have my vote. I do not know anything about BES and would like to be able to learn from one easily accesible source.

Like always I find your threads highly informative and extremely full of knowledge that have taught me a great deal. Please keep up the good work, I know yours is definitely a labor of love that the rest of us appreciate to no end.

I second this move. I would love to learn about the BES. I have been reading about the problems people have been having but I want to know more about how it works when there aren't any problems.

SimonMac
06-01-2006, 04:36 PM
A BES FAQ would be a great addition. I agree, keep the thread locked so only mods can make updates. New questions/answers should be started as seperate threads and can be intregrated into the FAQ later. When threads get too big they become useless (ex. some of the theme threads).

As above!

SimonMac
06-04-2006, 04:24 AM
As an add on a seperate "Upgrading To 4.1" FAQ might be handy too.

asianmaze
06-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Can't we have a BIS thread too? I'm always finding 'solutions' that don't work for me as I'm not on a BES - plus probably like many BIS users - I'm my own IT support and the forum is invaluable to me.

jibi
06-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Can't we have a BIS thread too? I'm always finding 'solutions' that don't work for me as I'm not on a BES - plus probably like many BIS users - I'm my own IT support and the forum is invaluable to me.
well, this is the BES sub-forum, and i honestly know nothing about BIS as i never use it. maybe someone else will want to take on that task.

asianmaze
06-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Apologies - I was just looking at 'new posts' so didn't realise which forum this was.

BBAdmin
06-04-2006, 01:40 PM
I think this is an excellent idea. Regarding the BIS thread - not everywhere is up on BIS 2.0 (UK carriers have not implemented it yet). Might be worth setting up a couple of sections on this until 2.0 is rolled out everywhere, or at least marking posts accordingly to their respective versions. On the BES side of things, we document a lot of 'how to do' type things with BES in house - happy to contribute some text to the cause!!!!!

rtavares
06-07-2006, 11:07 AM
I think it's an excellent idea, jibi. My company, Epoch, is hosting an additional resource that will be helpful for BES admins and other IT professionals looking for this kind of information. It is a wiki for wireless administrators.

The URL for the wiki is http://wikiwa.epochintegration.com. Our objective for the wiki is to create an online resource for IT professionals that are responsible for managing enterprise wireless systems such as BlackBerry.

The intent of the wiki (and hence the wiki format) is that the content will be contributed by the community of wireless administrators as they share information, links and best practices. The wiki is in its early stages now and I encourage readers to visit and submit some content of their own. Epoch will provide some moderation to help keep things orderly, but I also encourage anybody else to make edits and improvements as they see fit. Before long, there should be enough content there to make the wiki very valuable, even for first time visitors and BES newbies. Then hopefully, in the style of wikipedia.org, the resource will get richer and deeper as time goes on.

If you want to learn more about the wiki, use the About Wikiwa link or go to http://wikiwa.epochintegration.com/mediawiki/index.php/WikiWa:About

Thanks- I hope to see your name in the credits!

Ramon