PDA

View Full Version : Automated User Removal

fieldgeek
05-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Hello,

At my company we have a large Blackberry user base along with an annoying amount of user turnover and so I am looking for a way to automate user deletion on the BES Server. The way we have everything set up is that when HR terminates a user, MIIS will deactivate the user account in Active Directory and disable the user mailbox in Exchange. However, the user remains on the BES server. Outside of a manual process, does anyone know about something that will allow me to remove the user in an automated way? I guess I could write something to do it, but I might as well ask first!

Cheers

mahal721
05-31-2006, 02:16 PM
same situation for my company. i would like to know an automated way too that has worked for others...

Possibly a script that runs against the BESMgmt database and delete users older than 60 days or so.

fieldgeek
06-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Well, I am glad I am not the only one looking to do this! I'll keep searching.

Major_A
06-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Hello,

At my company we have a large Blackberry user base along with an annoying amount of user turnover and so I am looking for a way to automate user deletion on the BES Server. The way we have everything set up is that when HR terminates a user, MIIS will deactivate the user account in Active Directory and disable the user mailbox in Exchange. However, the user remains on the BES server. Outside of a manual process, does anyone know about something that will allow me to remove the user in an automated way? I guess I could write something to do it, but I might as well ask first!

Cheers

If you are using BES 4.0 you could do something with the resource kit that would automatically send the kill command to the device, if you have access to the HR Records, or your own "Termination" Database.

Unfortunately at our company, we don't want any automation as HR sometimes messes up. But I have a service that runs and checked the employee's on the BES DB against the HR Database, then emails me a report of users that have "possibly left" from there I act accordlying.

jgroh9
06-05-2006, 07:33 AM
You can write a vbscript that will look through the application event log for EventID 20164 or 20163. This event occurs when a user can not be found in the GAL which means the account has been disabled, deleted, inactive or something along those lines in active directory and the BES can no longer access the users mailbox. In the message for this event is the users name. If you write your script to parse out the name you can then write another function using the Blackberry Resource Kit to automatically remove the user from the BES. Sounds like a lot but it is rather simple if you are good with vbScript. Let me know if you have any issues and I will help you out. I may even share my code if you really can't figure it out.

fieldgeek
06-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Interesting. I have been out for a while but thank you for this information. Basing something on events seems best because I can send someone the information for people to be removed and then have it manually done. There seem to be quite a few options with a little customization. We will see. Thank you.

troyboy14k
07-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Can the Code be posted to this message or a link to a BB Blog for download/copy?

misko808
09-22-2006, 04:04 PM
quick question. Has anybody noticed disabled user accounts causing hung threads (dispatcher service). We are investigating this with RIM T Support.

stonent
09-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Can you just go into the management tools and sort the columns by when the devices last made contact or ones that have large amounts of pending mail.

Or with needtext you can run reports and see phones that aren't sending anything.

fieldgeek
10-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Unforunately I haven't played with deleting users automatically or have done anything in these regards. I am playing with BES 4.1 now. I haven't noticed that disabled accounts were causing the dispatcher to break. That sounds interesting. Which BES version are you on?