PDA

View Full Version : which Blackberry for Mac?

cusacks1@mac.com
05-31-2006, 12:38 PM
I am a new member who is about to buy a Blackberry. What model is recommended for Mac compatibility? I use OS 10.4.6.
I want GSM band for Europe. Do I need Pocket Mac? Which one has the better screen for readability. My husband has a Blackberry that is hard to read. I use Verizon for all our cell phones but I think I need to use Cingular for this in order to have GSM capability.
How do I set up email with it. Do I need a new email address for this?
Thanks,
Cusack

NJBlackBerry
05-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Welcome to BB Forums.
You are asking a lot of questions. Let's see what we can do to help.

First of all, if you have not already, please read the Sticky FAQ Threads at the top of the General BlackBerry Discussion Forum. All the instructions on how to set up e-mail are in there.

Second, check out the Mac Users Corner. Lots on Mac users there.

For GSM/GPRS/EDGE, you can use Cingular or T-Mobile and get global coverage. The carrier you choose is based on one thing: coverage. Where you live, where you travel and where you work.

Then pick the carrier.

If you want the small form factor, you can get the 7105t (T-Mobile) or 7100g (Cingular). If you want the newest models (8700) either carrier has them.

Good luck.

finch
05-31-2006, 12:54 PM
See my sig. below, if you have an Intel Mac I highly recommend using Boot Camp to sync under the WIN environment.

EricaJ1074
05-31-2006, 02:09 PM
I am a new member who is about to buy a Blackberry. What model is recommended for Mac compatibility? I use OS 10.4.6.
I want GSM band for Europe. Do I need Pocket Mac? Which one has the better screen for readability. My husband has a Blackberry that is hard to read. I use Verizon for all our cell phones but I think I need to use Cingular for this in order to have GSM capability.
How do I set up email with it. Do I need a new email address for this?
Thanks,
Cusack

To set up email, log onto your carrier's website and click on "Set Up Internet Email". Add the number of addresses you want to send/receive mail from. Then create an "@<hidden>" address.

Here's a link that lists all the different models and the networks they run on http://www.blackberry.com/products/blackberry/networks.shtml

To synch with a Mac, you will need Pocket Mac. Here's a list of all compatible BlackBerries http://www.pocketmac.net/devices_by_manufacturer.html#ResearchInMotion

johnnyvomit
05-31-2006, 04:11 PM
Before you use pocketmac back everything up! If you're running powermac be prepared to restore your contacts and if you're running intel be prepared to not have a very functional synchronization. Currently there's not really tight integration between mac and blackberry. At best it's a crap shoot and not at all a full business solution.

cusacks1@mac.com
06-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Welcome to BB Forums.
You are asking a lot of questions. Let's see what we can do to help.

First of all, if you have not already, please read the Sticky FAQ Threads at the top of the General BlackBerry Discussion Forum. All the instructions on how to set up e-mail are in there.

Second, check out the Mac Users Corner. Lots on Mac users there.

For GSM/GPRS/EDGE, you can use Cingular or T-Mobile and get global coverage. The carrier you choose is based on one thing: coverage. Where you live, where you travel and where you work.

Then pick the carrier.

If you want the small form factor, you can get the 7105t (T-Mobile) or 7100g (Cingular). If you want the newest models (8700) either carrier has them.

Good luck.
I got the 8700c last night through Cingular. So far, so good. I have my email coming in.
One more question. The guy at the store said that it is compatible with isync for my Mac Book Pro. But others say I need Pocket Mac.
Do I need it?
Thanks,
Meg

finch
06-01-2006, 07:48 AM
It pains me to say it but PocketMac at best is still beta software it's good but that's probably it, rather cryptic in it's pop up during sync and as others said be sure you have a functioning back up. To be honest with a MacBook I'd load up Boot Camp with a WIN OS I use XP and sync in the WIN environment with Office. It's fool proof and stable.
I got the 8700c last night through Cingular. So far, so good. I have my email coming in.
One more question. The guy at the store said that it is compatible with isync for my Mac Book Pro. But others say I need Pocket Mac.
Do I need it?
Thanks,
Meg

cusacks1@mac.com
06-01-2006, 08:01 AM
I don't think I want to buy Boot Camp. I might just wait till the intel version of Pocket Mac works. For now, I don't really need to sync my calendars. But the address book, I would like to get on the Blackberry. Is there another way to import address via Vcards or something?
Meg
PS. Why did they tell me at Cingular that Blackberry was compatible with isync?