PDA

View Full Version : Using 8700c and 8707

jeffharris
05-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Quick quesitons, probably easy answer.

If I get an 8707, and use my T-Mobile US chip, I will obvously lose the ability to use EGDE in the US (as the specs show there is no EDGE on the 8707)-- so, I don't want to use the 8707 here, However, I do go to Japan and Europe a lot, and may want to swap chips when I am in the proper countries to use the 8707. So, my questions are these:

1) As I do not have a UMTS data plan with T-Mo, as it doesn't exist, will I be able to use UMTS fast data in countries that offer it with my T-Mo chip and the 8707? Or will it just default to GPRS?

2) When in Japan, if I use the 8707 with my T-Mo chip, will I get all Blackberry services, as I am pretty sure none of the carriers there offer Blackberry services locally.

3) When I want to switch from my 8700 to my 8707 (and still be using my same T-Mo chip), is it just as simple as changing the PIN number on the T-Mo web site? Also, as I have a BES service, is that autpmatically picked up, or do I need to change the PIN with them, too?

Hope someone can answer these!!

allenranger2
05-31-2006, 04:32 PM
I was reading that since the 8707 lacks a frequency that we have in the US (to either receive incoming or make outgoing calls), so noone would be able to use it.

As far as switching phones constantly, I do know that when I switched between 7290 and 8700g, all that was required was either going to Internet Setup on the handheld (for BIS) or going to the t-mo site and confirming the new pin there. I believe it should be the same between the aforementioned bb's.

jeffharris
05-31-2006, 05:11 PM
I was reading that since the 8707 lacks a frequency that we have in the US (to either receive incoming or make outgoing calls), so noone would be able to use it.

That's simply not true. Without looking up the specs this minute, it is at least a 1900MHz phone -- maybe not 850. So it is fine for use in US.