PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't recommend buying an 8700 on eBay

cooperpwc
05-31-2006, 05:34 PM
...because in my experience warranties are gold on these units.

EDIT: FOLLOWING UP ON MY PROBLEM AND THEREFORE RESURRECTING THIS NOW RECOGNISED AS INAPPROPRIATELY TITLED THREAD. WARNING: THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EBAY ALTHOUGH IT DOES EXPLAIN WHY WARRANTIES ARE A GOOD THING.

Here's my latest problem (i.e. the real reason for this post).

I woke up two nights ago to find my 8700 alternating between the solid red LED and the rotating hourglass on white screen. Back and forth. Removing the battery solved it. Then I awoke later to the same problem and removing the battery would not fix it. I even waited more than an hour but it returned to the 'continuous reboot' cycle when I reinserted the battery.

I solved the problem by wiping the unit and reinstalling the Bharti OS. (If anyone wants to know how to do that with a disabled Blackberry using just the Desktop Manager, I can explain). Problem solved...

...except that I woke up last night to the exact same problem! Had to wipe the unit and reinstall the OS (Rogers this time - life without Zen - very strange).

So I think that I may have to return this unit to Rogers. Fortunately it's under warranty. It's working for now but I dread the arrival of the night....

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be? The common factor (perhaps coincidence) in the two occurences is that it was charging overnight. Possible a red herring but: I suspect that in each case it had reached 100% charge.

paulbblc
05-31-2006, 05:45 PM
cooper,

are you using the 8700 cradle from Seidio. I am having the same problem, although not as bad as your case when I have the unit in the cradle.

Let me know.

cooperpwc
05-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Mine hasn't arrived yet so no, that isn't the problem. But you imply something that I am also thinking... this may somehow relate to the charging circuitry.

paulbblc
05-31-2006, 05:58 PM
well I also just started using a usb hub last week. My bb usb was plugged into that last night until I noticed it rebooting (the cycle you described). I quickly unplugged it from the hub and plugged it straight into my pc. Havent noticed it since. The usb hub is not self powered therefore I'm hoping that swapping the bb usb back into the pc will fix this issue.

KonTiki
05-31-2006, 06:01 PM
It may have something to do with the prolonged charging connection. I never charge for longer than it takes which is normally about 45 minutes to an hour if plugged to the wall charger or about two and a half hours if USB connected depending on the actual charge on the unit. I normally do this about every three days (I have the exteded battery on my 7250). Try charging it when you get home and doing it only for the time that is needed. I realize that the unit is suppossed to shut down the charge when it reaches its capacity but I never believe it is wise to leave it plugged into a charger for a long period of time. Please come back and let us know what happens if you charge it the way I suggested. Good Luck.

cooperpwc
05-31-2006, 06:02 PM
Interesting... I have no problems when I'm connected to and charging on USB (although these are early days of this recent issue).
The problem is when I'm using the OEM electrical charger. I wonder: might I have a faulty charger? And is it frying my 8700?

Kon Tiki, just read your post. I am going to experiment with lesser charging.

allenranger2
05-31-2006, 06:38 PM
I charge mine overnight...never have problems. Sorry Cooper.

cooperpwc
05-31-2006, 06:57 PM
I charge mine overnight...never have problems. Sorry Cooper.
That's what I've always done too. This problem has come out of nowhere.

LunkHead
05-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Same here! I've been using the stock ac charger.. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. Mine usually charges all night but I also have it set to auto off at 11:00pm and auto on at 6:00am

paulbblc
05-31-2006, 07:57 PM
I normally charge with the ac adapter but when I got my 8700 it didn't come with one (another reason not to buy off ebay...). I have been using the usb charger since receiving the 8700 with no problems until last week. I received the hub and the 8700 cradle the same day so it will be hard to pinpoint which is actually the perpetraitor. Thus far I've seen no problems with having the usb connected to the pc instead of the hub so I'm hoping I have singled out the hub. I'll try it for a few days and get back with what I have found out.

chichiliano
05-31-2006, 09:51 PM
It may have something to do with the prolonged charging connection. I never charge for longer than it takes which is normally about 45 minutes to an hour if plugged to the wall charger or about two and a half hours if USB connected depending on the actual charge on the unit. I normally do this about every three days (I have the exteded battery on my 7250). Try charging it when you get home and doing it only for the time that is needed. I realize that the unit is suppossed to shut down the charge when it reaches its capacity but I never believe it is wise to leave it plugged into a charger for a long period of time. Please come back and let us know what happens if you charge it the way I suggested. Good Luck.
i keep my charging for all night every couple of days and it is totally fine.

cooperpwc
06-01-2006, 09:39 AM
First update: I turned my BB off and charged it overnight. Woke up middle of night to a solid green LED and unplugged it. It was fine in the morning. So far, so good.
This weekend I will test charging it all night turned off as well as charging all night turned on.
Another interesting question: if the continuous reboot is a reaction to an overcharged battery, will leaving it in that state but unplugged eventually cause it to right itself? I'll find out...

ragin cajun
06-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Sounds like it may be a hub issue. There may not be enough power running through the hub to actually charge the bb. It would depend on what else you have plugged into the hub and what usb ports you have. I know usb 2.0 ports seem faster and therefor may have more power coming from them. Just a thought.

cooperpwc
06-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Sounds like it may be a hub issue. There may not be enough power running through the hub to actually charge the bb. It would depend on what else you have plugged into the hub and what usb ports you have. I know usb 2.0 ports seem faster and therefor may have more power coming from them. Just a thought.
I'm having the problem only when using the original OEM charger. Charging on USB (like right this moment at work) is no problem at all. So I'm thinking that the problem is too much electricity, not too little. My tests this weekend may be revealing.

cooperpwc
06-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Well it does seem to be a charging issue. I did fine for a week because I did not leave it attached to the OEM charger all night. Last night I did and I woke up to find the Blackberry okay so I unplugged it. Then when I went to delete an email later it crashed. Again had to do a full OS reload to fix it.
USB charging is obviously causing no problem. Not sure if my OEM charger is to blame or the charging circuitry in my 8700. Anyway, I think that i can live with this. Just no more charging overnight.

kstew
06-07-2006, 12:22 PM
So far, it doesn't sound like an Ebay problem like you indicated in your header.

johnfromphilly
06-07-2006, 01:03 PM
So far, it doesn't sound like an Ebay problem like you indicated in your header.

If you took the time to read beyond the header you would have seen that Cooper was just saying that the warranty would come in handy if he had a problem with the unit.
...and I quote cooper:
...because in my experience warranties are gold on these units.

Ebay=no warranty.

read, think,think again, post.

cooperpwc
06-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Indeed... like I said immediately afterwards "...because in my experience warranties are gold on these units."
It's a catchy title intended to capture attention and since I answer my share of the questions on here I figure I'm entitled to abuse poetic license just a little bit now and then.
It is also however an appropriate warning: I'm on my third 8700 and now it has this problem. If you buy one of those great "unlocked" deals on eBay, the situation is caveat emptor. I love the 8700 but it is, to put it nicely, "delicate". A warranty is recommended.
EDIT: johnfromphilly gets it.

philhu
06-07-2006, 02:14 PM
cooper,

are you using the 8700 cradle from Seidio. I am having the same problem, although not as bad as your case when I have the unit in the cradle.

Let me know.

I am seeing the cradle problem too.

I get 'Unrecognized usb device' on both cradles I bought.

Maybe that is why there is a VDC 5v connector on the back of the cradle? The power through the hub to the device is marginal.

If I use it standalone, for just charging, 1 works fine, one is intermittent.

phil

TagsVC
06-07-2006, 02:40 PM
i use an OEM charger @<hidden> home and when i am by my grrl i use her MOTO RAZR charger and i have no prob even if its plugged in all night.

tried the cradle, ended up throwing it on ebay when the prob started

Keebler
06-07-2006, 02:44 PM
From Seidio Today:
The delay was due to the fact that we discovered that the current batch of cradles we were shipping out were mostly defective. Rather than frustrate customers by sending an item that most probably wouldn't work for them, we wanted to wait until the good ones came in. They have and we are sending out back orders now. We apologize for the delay. You should have received an email informing you about the back order, and we apologize if that didn't happen as well.

The company I work for told me to buy a couple and test them before we buy a few hundred of them, so I appreciate that we didn't get sent that many defective units.

I never use the AC charger and have never had an issue.

cooperpwc
06-07-2006, 05:18 PM
I am seeing the cradle problem too.

I get 'Unrecognized usb device' on both cradles I bought.

Maybe that is why there is a VDC 5v connector on the back of the cradle? The power through the hub to the device is marginal.

If I use it standalone, for just charging, 1 works fine, one is intermittent.

phil
My problem is only with the OEM charger and I've never used that through my Seidio cradle. My Seidio cradle has been fine for both charging and synching off my work USB computer cable, except that it loses connection a little too easily. The replacement is on its way.

EricaJ1074
06-07-2006, 05:53 PM
I never use the AC charger and have never had an issue.

Neither do I. I use my USB cable connected to my PC to charge my 7105t at home. If I know I'm going to be out (I'm a college student but at home right now...long story), I have an extended battery to get me thru a day. Are these not options for you, Cooper? Or are you on a Mac at home?

cooperpwc
06-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Neither do I. I use my USB cable connected to my PC to charge my 7105t at home. If I know I'm going to be out (I'm a college student but at home right now...long story), I have an extended battery to get me thru a day. Are these not options for you, Cooper? Or are you on a Mac at home?
Absolutely. I can get by on USB just charging at work. Even limited use of the OEM charger seems okay.
This isn't a huge problem. It's just kind of wierd.

kstew
06-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Ebay=no warranty.

read, think,think again, post.

Hmmmm...Let me read this again...now I'm thinking...now I'm thinking again...now I'm going to post.

I bought my 8700 on eBay...had problems...called Cingulars warranty CS number...got my new 8700 via FedEx two days later.

Pucker, kiss my ***, kiss my *** again, go away.

apple85
06-08-2006, 12:52 AM
kstew calm your ass down, people make catchy titles here all the time to attract attention to their posts and with 15 posts to your name I say again slow your roll...

cp-Mike
06-08-2006, 01:37 AM
I agree that the subject line is misleading. I thought this thread was going to be about an eBay horror story or something, but instead it's about some guy's defective charger. While it's not really BAD to write misleading subjects, it's not that great, either. If this thread was about warranties and whether or not you get one when buying from eBay, that'd be one thing. But the OP wrote one sentence about eBay, and then the rest of the thread is about his charger. See what I'm getting at? Edit: At least cooper knows that it's not something that should be abused.

and with 15 posts to your name I say again slow your roll...
I'm sorry, and I don't mean to single you out, but what does kstew's number of posts have to do with anything? Are you saying it's OK for people with over 300 posts to mouth off whenever they feel like it, like johnfromphilly did? kstew was just making an observation, and john jumped all over and belittled him, but I don't see you telling him to slow his roll. Granted, kstew could have been less confrontational, but jeeze. This number-of-posts elitism is ridiculous. Everybody was a newbie at some time.

Sorry for taking this thread further off topic. I won't post in here again unless I have something to say about chargers or warranties.

cooperpwc
06-08-2006, 09:38 AM
I think that we should all chill out. This isn't life and death stuff, guys.
If it will calm nerves, I'll accept full blame for misleading the general public with my thread title. Anyway, I live in Canada. Down south, you would have the basis for a class-action law suit. Up here, you would be lucky to recover your taxi fare to the court house. And frankly we don't have time to pucker; we're too busy worrying about people trying to behead our Prime Minister.

kstew
06-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey johnfromphilly,

I'm really sorry. I think I caught myself in a bad moment and reacted irrationally. I hope that you can forgive my childish response and civility can resume.

I value this board (despite my few posts) and want to be a asset to the community, not a liability.

Cheers and sorry again.
Kstew

apple85
06-08-2006, 11:47 AM
I just think that memebers who have established themselves, their opinions and have posted enough to give people the overall feel of who they are have more of a right to pick a fight, people might accept it a little more if they know the person isn't just coming out of right field. If that makes any sense. I haven't had coffee yet! You would understand what I'm trying to say if you came from the same field and type of training I do.

EITHER WAY
Atleast Cooper has a warranty right? ;)

kstew
06-08-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that I was just chapped because my 8700 was STOLEN this week!! :::pointing finger at wife's goof:::

I'm sure you can understand my frustration.

Also, it's not the quantity of posts, it's the quality. I could bang out a quick 500 asinine posts, but that wouldn't make me "established" only "chatty".

cooperpwc
06-08-2006, 03:56 PM
EITHER WAY
Atleast Cooper has a warranty right? ;)
Wait! What do you mean by that? Have I been flamed? :smile:

paulbblc
06-08-2006, 04:10 PM
haha I love reading message board bickering, much better than reading the comics in the paper... Then I remind myself that these are grown adults and I feel sad :(

Anyway to update my Seideo cradle situation, since plugging the USB cable straight into the PC instead of the hub I'm happy to report that I have had no issues with the BB rebooting. Knock on wood.

cooperpwc
06-19-2006, 10:03 AM
The problem has returned. I now no longer believe that my problem has anything to do with charging. Rather it is something that happens at about 4 am. The unit goes into continuous reboot andf I have to wipe and reinstall the OS to fix it.

Totally bizarre... What could be causing this?

My next experiment therefore involves having the unit Auto Off at 3 am and Auto On at 5 am. Clutching at straws here; we will see if it works and I will report back.