PDA

View Full Version : Popup (or drop down) boxes on Internet

gdob
05-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Good evening all,

After searching various forums at this site and reading various manuals, I have been unable to find an answer to my question about accessing "popup boxes" on the Internet when working with my 8700C. Thus I decided to tread lightly into this forum in search of a solution.

When I visit my university's website (as well as other sites), I am presented with a box (perhaps it could be called pull down or popup) in which I have to make a selection from various "hidden" offerings in order to input criteria for searches. The box is outlined with a dotted line (as would be the case when highlighting various links) but I cannot seem to find a way to access the various criteria. I have pushed the "Enter' button on my 8700C and have enabled "Java," but all to no avail. I am sure that am doing something fundamentally wrong, but cannot figure out how to access the various options hidden under the "main box."

Again, I realize that my problem is about as simplistic as it comes, and I have no wish to take time away from more serious issues on this forum, but I am frustrated, thus I pose my question. Thank you to anyone who can help me out.

LunkHead
05-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I assume you are using the internet browser and not the wap. I have my browser set to the following and can access most drop down boxes:

Emulation mode: microsoft ie

Support HTML tables: checked

Support JavaScript: checked

Even after havin said that I have found a few pages that drop down boxes do not work on the 8700

gdob
05-31-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi Lunkhead,

Thank you for responding so quickly and fully to my query regarding drop down boxes (I should not have said "pop up," but, considering that my father's Remington manual typewriter retains an honored place in my home office, you can imagine how much of a neophyte I am when it comes to technology).

I am, indeed, using the Internet browser and not WAP, although I can't seem to get away from being delighted that I can check, via Cingular's offering, the weather in this suburb of Chicago. I really need to march bravely into this century.

I will do as you suggested, and hope that I can access the drop down boxes hiding the keys to the information about how many students have signed up for my courses. If I succeed and determine that I have been granted two months of vacation, I will send you a hearty thanks and begin packing my bags for a cabin located in my beloved Ontario. Actually, I don't need my BlackBerry to do that; I already know that I'll be teaching this summer. Gee, my dad's Remington sounds very good right now. It only received information and never replied.

Thanks again.

rcbjr
05-31-2006, 09:05 PM
Good evening all,

After searching various forums at this site and reading various manuals, I have been unable to find an answer to my question about accessing "popup boxes" on the Internet when working with my 8700C. Thus I decided to tread lightly into this forum in search of a solution.

When I visit my university's website (as well as other sites), I am presented with a box (perhaps it could be called pull down or popup) in which I have to make a selection from various "hidden" offerings in order to input criteria for searches. The box is outlined with a dotted line (as would be the case when highlighting various links) but I cannot seem to find a way to access the various criteria. I have pushed the "Enter' button on my 8700C and have enabled "Java," but all to no avail. I am sure that am doing something fundamentally wrong, but cannot figure out how to access the various options hidden under the "main box."

Again, I realize that my problem is about as simplistic as it comes, and I have no wish to take time away from more serious issues on this forum, but I am frustrated, thus I pose my question. Thank you to anyone who can help me out.

----
Try this, use the trackwheel to move to the pulldown box, then press and hold the ALT key. This should bring up a list of all the links in the box. Keeping the ALT Key pressed use the trackwheel to move up and down the list until you select the one you want, then release the ALT key.

I know this is how I use the Jump to Forum list on this site when using my 8700

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

gdob
06-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the advice, rcbjr. Although I am still having problems accessing some drop down boxes, the solutions that you and LunkHead suggested have helped a great deal. Thanks to all.

coolzhawaii
06-26-2006, 12:29 AM
Okay, I admit...I'm new...BUT, I have read and re-read the FAQ's and I DO know where the SEARCH button is and it is getting WORN out! Ha! I am having this same problem on MOST websites and I cannot get any of the "choices" that are listed under a topic. I would love any help/suggestions to access websites fully - I feel like I can only get to the first page of so many websites...Thank you to all of you Pro's out there! This site is awesome! (8700G)